Entries for 2015 Cup of Austria | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Entries for 2015 Cup of Austria

MalAssada

Medalist
No news about Serafima changing events? Colorado Springs would be easier to win, even with the altitude. The competition just isn't the same.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I'm afraid the competition here will bury the chance of qualifying to JGP final of some pretenders: Sakhanovich, Higuchi, Mihara or Tennell. Sotskova's qualification is almost safe barring a disaster.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
No news about Serafima changing events? Colorado Springs would be easier to win, even with the altitude. The competition just isn't the same.

I'm afraid the competition here will bury the chance of qualifying to JGP final of some pretenders: Sakhanovich, Higuchi, Mihara or Tennell. Sotskova's qualification is almost safe barring a disaster.

It's hard to see the strategy. I wonder if we'll see some switches this week.

Layback11

Record Breaker

How are the 2015 JWC silver and bronze medalists "pretenders"? :confused:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think they mean contenders :laugh: I know one poster who types "pretenders" all the time but not everyones first language is English so I just go with the flow ;)

MalAssada

Medalist
It's hard to see the strategy. I wonder if we'll see some switches this week.

Hopefully. Having two strong ladies from the same country in the same JGP competition is insane. I understand they would probably get Gold and Silver, but why risk the chances of making it to JGPF?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Use a bit of imagination when reading the messages. Not everyone was born in English speaking country.
Actually it's a valid use of the word "pretender", whether English is your first language or not...!

Look it up in the dictionary - it has more than one meaning, one of which is very appropriate, and is similar to "contender"...

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Actually it's a valid use of the word "pretender", whether English is your first language or not...!

Look it up in the dictionary - it has more than one meaning, one of which is very appropriate, and is similar to "contender"...

As in pretender to the throne.

gmyers

Record Breaker

It's valid but seems negative

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
pre·tend·er
prəˈtendər/
noun
a person who claims or aspires to a title or position.
"the pretender to the throne"
synonyms: claimant, aspirant
"a pretender to the throne"

The word is absolutely fine to use in this context.

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I don't think they would move her to Colorado Springs but maybe events 5 and 7 with Polina going to event 6 seems reasonable.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
pretender
: someone who claims to have the right to a particular title or position (such as king or queen) when others do not agree

Oops! Yeah I meant contenders actually.

Use a bit of imagination when reading the messages. Not everyone was born in English speaking country.

Very strongly disagree re the alleged similarity.
I am a native speaker of English, and my two cents are that the connotations of "pretender" and "contender" are not at all similar!!!

"Pretender" has a decidedly negative connotation, whereas "contender" has a decidedly positive connotation.

I think everyone is supportive of GS members whose native language is not English and is happy to cut them slack.
The original confusion between "pretender" and "contender" of course was an innocent mistake.

But GS members who are native speakers of English deserve equal slack. Because "pretender" and "contender" have completely opposite connotations, I would not say that it was at all obvious that one was being confused for the other. The original query was perfectly legitimate and innocent as well.

[A previous anecdote from my GS experience:
Someone posted something about "costume boots." I had no idea what the phrase meant, so I politely asked. The answer was that it was an accidental garbling of "custom boots."
Once someone opened my eyes, I could understand the origin of the garbling -- but it just had not occurred to me on my own.]

Last edited: