Looking to buy some Edea Ice Fly skates, questions, please help. | Golden Skate

Looking to buy some Edea Ice Fly skates, questions, please help.

RyanPB

Rinkside
Hello there, I am interested in purchasing a pair of Edea Ice Fly ice skates, black, but I have some questions. I have been skating for almost a year now so I am still a beginner, but I have heard great things about the Ice Fly skates.

Q. I looked at the sizing and they are not standard sizes for boots (210 and up???), so, where can I got to get a proper sizing?

Q. I was looking at the boot, and I noticed that it appears that a blade has to be mounted to the boot manually and the boot even drilled. I have no idea how to do this properly and wouldn't feel comfortable just trying it from instruction myself on such expensive boots. Is there a place where I can take my skates to get blades mounted to them?

Q. I am looking to get some John Wilson Paramount Parabolic blades. Are these compatible with an Ice Fly boot?

Q. How do I order blades so they are the right size for the boot?

Q. Is there somewhere close by to me where I can go to possibly get properly fitted for boots? I live in Kent Washington in the USA.

Thank you for any help that you can provide and I hope to hear from you. :)

--
Ryan P. Baskett

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have you tried contacting Edea at their website for help?

RyanPB

Rinkside
I have but I haven't heard anything back yet. Right now I am trying to gather as much info as I can before i buy these skates as it looks like they aren't just the traditional buy and start right away type of ice skates.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They are quite expensive. Have you talked with any coaches or pro shops at your local rink?

You might also want to call our sponsor "Best Buy Figure Skating" (1-800-442-1041) to see if they can help answer any questions you may have. Here is a direct link to the boot you are referring to.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My friend has a pair of ice flys and she went to Toronto to be properly fitted and sized by a professional. Not only are these skates costly but they are notorious for breaking down and needing replaced more often than other skates. She now just calls up the rep she worked with and orders directly from him since he has all of her info. That's only the half of it because now every year or so when they need replaced she has to go to a special guy that understands how to drill the holes and maintain her skates. It's quite the process but she competes internationally and can justify the extra expense and headache associated with them.

My advice would be to find someone you trust to make boot modifications and do skate sharpenings first and establish a relationship with them. The best place I can think of for you to do this is to contact the figure skating director at your rink or the closest one to you with an established FS program. Going to most rink's websites you'll be able to find their information under contacts. Shoot them an email asking for the best place to get fitted for skates and if they know someone who does boot repairs/fittings. Good luck.

Last edited:

RyanPB

Rinkside
My friend has a pair of ice flys and she went to Toronto to be properly fitted and sized by a professional. Not only are these skates costly but they are notorious for breaking down and needing replaced more often than other skates. She now just calls up the rep she worked with and orders directly from him since he has all of her info. That's only the half of it because now every year or so when they need replaced she has to go to a special guy that understands how to drill the holes and maintain her skates. It's quite the process but she competes internationally and can justify the extra expense and headache associated with them.

My advice would be to find someone you trust to make boot modifications and do skate sharpenings first and establish a relationship with them. The best place I can think of for you to do this is to contact the figure skating director at your rink or the closest one to you with an established FS program. Going to most rink's websites you'll be able to find their information under contacts. Shoot them an email asking for the best place to get fitted for skates and if they know someone who does boot repairs/fittings. Good luck.

Well, I am established with Kent Valley Ice Center, which claims to have the best ice arena in the NorthWest. I actually work there now and have been skating there regularly for almost a year now. I skate with Elaine Jurun the ice skating instructor. I am really excited about the idea of getting a pair of these boots but it sounds like it's going to be a nice challenge actually getting them to the point of where they are ready to skate in. If there is a professional level ice skating shop around me I definitely do not yet know of where it is, so, I guess that's my next question. I am from the South Seattle area of Washington State within the US. Is there a professional level ice skating shop in this area that will do some things like modification of a boot or professional quality boot fitting?

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I have but I haven't heard anything back yet. Right now I am trying to gather as much info as I can before i buy these skates as it looks like they aren't just the traditional buy and start right away type of ice skates.

When it comes to skates for figure skaters (as opposed to beginners), there is no "traditional buy and start right away type of ice skates."

If you've moved beyond beginner skaters, you have to expect a different tradition, regardless of what brand or model you end up buying:

Boots need to be fitted (including deciding which brand fits best) and usually special ordered from the manufacturer. Blades need to be ordered separately and mounted by a skate technician. Some more adjustments such as heat molding the boots or subtly adjusting the alignment of the blades before adding the final screws to the mounting may also be needed.

And then of course it takes several hours on the ice to break them in before you can skate comfortably in them.

That's all part of the tradition. Get used to it. :)

Is there a pro shop at your rink? Hopefully at least one person who works there would have adequate knowledge of figure skates and not just hockey equipment.

If you don't trust the staff there, you'll need to travel to somewhere that does cater to figure skaters.

Are there figure skaters at the rink (or their parents) whom you can ask where they go?

Welcome to the specialized world of figure skating. :)

MalAssada

Medalist
Just dropping to explain the sizes: Edeas are measured by milimeters. Numbers ending with 5 are the same size as the next 0, but numbers ending with 0 are for wider feet. They explain in the website how to find out your size. When I bought my Edeas, I had first done the maths at home, and it fit when I tried the boot. I wear a 280mm boot for a feet that is American 9's. Yep, big feet. Any mm bigger and I would have to buy men's boots :slink:

And a suggestion I'm surprised it still hadn't been made: If you are a begginer, why not invest in a lower priced Edea boot? I wear the equivalent of Edea Overture and they work great for me and hopefully will still work until I learn all my singles. Buy the Overture if you are learning singles, or the Chorus if somehow in a year you're already learning doubles. Not pretty like Ice Flys, but cheaper and what you need.

RyanPB

Rinkside
When it comes to skates for figure skaters (as opposed to beginners), there is no "traditional buy and start right away type of ice skates."

If you've moved beyond beginner skaters, you have to expect a different tradition, regardless of what brand or model you end up buying:

Boots need to be fitted (including deciding which brand fits best) and usually special ordered from the manufacturer. Blades need to be ordered separately and mounted by a skate technician. Some more adjustments such as heat molding the boots or subtly adjusting the alignment of the blades before adding the final screws to the mounting may also be needed.

And then of course it takes several hours on the ice to break them in before you can skate comfortably in them.

That's all part of the tradition. Get used to it. :)

Is there a pro shop at your rink? Hopefully at least one person who works there would have adequate knowledge of figure skates and not just hockey equipment.

If you don't trust the staff there, you'll need to travel to somewhere that does cater to figure skaters.

Are there figure skaters at the rink (or their parents) whom you can ask where they go?

Welcome to the specialized world of figure skating. :)

Sweet! And just to give you an idea of my dedication for getting the best, I was ready and willing to plan a trip to Toronto to be able to get properly fitted for the skate boot I need. I am not sure if I am ready for this level of skate yet, but I AM sure that I am going to go after getting the best out there for myself if I can get it without getting frustrated or giving up. As far as the pro shop at KVIC, I'm not sure anyone there is fully professionally competent in the ways of fully managing a professional level skating boot or its needs. I know they do skate sharpening there but I'm not sure if they do the heat molding (did I say that right? I'm still picking up some of the terms) or blade adjustment, installation, or alignment. All information that I plan on getting in the near future.

PS, yay for being part of the ice skating community! :D

RyanPB

Rinkside
Just dropping to explain the sizes: Edeas are measured by milimeters. Numbers ending with 5 are the same size as the next 0, but numbers ending with 0 are for wider feet. They explain in the website how to find out your size. When I bought my Edeas, I had first done the maths at home, and it fit when I tried the boot. I wear a 280mm boot for a feet that is American 9's. Yep, big feet. Any mm bigger and I would have to buy men's boots :slink:

And a suggestion I'm surprised it still hadn't been made: If you are a begginer, why not invest in a lower priced Edea boot? I wear the equivalent of Edea Overture and they work great for me and hopefully will still work until I learn all my singles. Buy the Overture if you are learning singles, or the Chorus if somehow in a year you're already learning doubles. Not pretty like Ice Flys, but cheaper and what you need.

Well actually, I'm not exactly sure what a single or a double is. Its a jump right? I'm still learning to stop in my skates and just starting to get the hang of it. I certainly can't skate backwards very fast, only swizzel-skate backwards, and I can't jump or spin really yet. I am after these skates because they look incredible and because I am dedicated and willing to put in all of the work to break them in and to get to the level of where I need to be while trying not to injure myself. I just want these skates because they look different than any other skate and I want to be flying out there in something that looks awesome. The fact that I need to break these in/reach the level needed to even be able to wear them for basic skating is really on the back burner for me.

mskater93

Record Breaker
You need to ask your coach who she recommends you have fit skates for you and ask her recommendation on the level of boot. Frankly, you will be overbooted in the Ice Fly which will slow down your progress.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
You might be able to find/talk to a rep a local club comp or maybe regionals/sectionals if you are going to be going to anything like that. There was a rep at the Broadmoor open with pretty good size area and i think they were doing the heat fitting thing.

davincisoprano

Rinkside
RyanPB, if you can't stop yet, then the LAST thing you want to do is buy a boot made for quads because they're pretty.

What are you skating in now? It would help to know that because if your coach isn't telling you to get new boots yet, then if you want them to be "pretty" then go get some silver sharpies and draw a design.

If you can barely skate and you are in a high level boot, not only are you going to hinder your progress, you can potentially injure yourself. The lowest I've seen in an Ice Fly is a skater who has tested Preliminary. I've seen one below that and you could tell they were not helping her in the least.

Until you are jumping, you should not be worried about flashy boots. Having a pair of black skates is enough to set you apart from the public skaters and make you look like you know what you're doing if that is what you're going for. But not even a year in? If you must get Edeas, get a lower level boot.

vlaurend

Final Flight
The fact that I need to break these in/reach the level needed to even be able to wear them for basic skating is really on the back burner for me.
I REALLY don't think you understand. You will NEVER break them in because you (1) don't have the level of power, deep knee bend and pressure required to break them in, and (2) you will never develop those skills in boots that you can't break in! What you will be doing is getting sneers from actual figure skaters who see you trying to skate in Ice Flys. I hate to be harsh, but it's the truth.

RyanPB

Rinkside
Thanks, I'm just looking for something that looks good. I am not really a figure skater, just an ice skater. I've never taken any tests, never been to any competitions, and am not signed up with any clubs or being looked at by scouts. Black skates totally do not set you apart from the rest of the skaters as tons of people have black skates. I am Wearing Jackson Mystiques I think, the kind that just come with some standard low level default blade, not the cool kind. I want the good stuff because I work really hard to make sure I have the best. Please don't misinterpret my intentions. I value all of your opinions and as long as I can find something unique, I could do with that. How about a red pair of ice skates, those would be pretty cool, especially since apparently putting Ice Flys on my feet will instantaneously snap my neck in two the moment I get them on. Plenty of people have told me all sorts of things I can "never do" and then I just did it anyway despite their doubtfulness of me. If the message is to give up i'm just not hearing it, I never have and I never ever will. Thank you for the kindness of your opinions. :)

My coach isn't any kind of official when it comes to being my coach. I mean, she is an ice skating coach and she's great, but I've only had about a total of maybe six lessons with her ever and she has students that are way way better than me. I work 6 days a week 12 hours a day so I pretty much only get to skate on Friday night/Saturday, but I really do love ice skating so far a lot and I can tell that I'm always getting better every time I get out there, plus, I meet some really cool people there.

Last edited:

Pika

Final Flight
If you want to stand out, then you can paint your skates red. Or the colour you want. I have a friend who do this. Or get Harlick skate to make the design you want.

gkelly

Record Breaker
So look for some skates that look cool in your opinion and are also appropriate in stiffness to your level of skating.

"The best" is all relative to your needs -- which includes your size, your foot anatomy (wide or narrow? high or low arch? etc.; what's best for one person's foot could be disastrous for someone else doing the same type of skating), your skill level, how often you skate, and the type of skating you're doing. Obviously you would need different skates for figure skating than for speed skating or playing hockey. But also, at higher levels, what's "best" for freestyle might not be good for ice dance, and vice versa.

Based on how you've described your skating, what's best for your skating would probably be a beginner figure skate, one step up from a recreational skate. That may or may not require buying boots and blades separately -- another step up and they would definitely be separate.

If style is important to you, keep checking around for different manufacturers who make boots at that level that appeal to your sense of style. Some will make custom boots in different colors if you want to pay extra. And also find one that fits your feet best.

So finding a good fitter who carries several different brands would be very helpful, worth making a trip outside your local area if need be.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
If you want to stand out, then you can paint your skates red. Or the colour you want. I have a friend who do this. Or get Harlick skate to make the design you want.

I was wondering this as well, what kinda of customization options are there that can be done? I keep thinking a carbon fiber hydrographics did could look nice but don't know if that would work.

It's seems that for the price of ice flys someone could find someone at the rink that could do some very lovely custom work.

That being said. If the OP wants to buy a pair of Ice Flys and put them on the mantle to look and and moderate them to do better... that is fine too in my opinion.

MalAssada

Medalist
Have you ever thought of putting crystals in white boots? Check the result. I'm sure it will work in ice skates, too. Plus, I bet it would look even more beautiful in skates that aren't already all silver. It cost 154 reals, in the end (less than 40 dollars).

Why not buy recreational skates and do something similar?

PS: Just checked. If you want a silver heel despite everything, you could buy these rec skates from Riedell. I'm not sure if you can still find Risport RF4 (they were discontinued), or even if they wouldn't be too hard.

Last edited: