Looking to buy some Edea Ice Fly skates, questions, please help. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Looking to buy some Edea Ice Fly skates, questions, please help.

RyanPB

Rinkside
I got this idea in my mind that it would be TOTALLY AWESOME if I could somehow get my hands on a pair of MSI (MSI Gaming) themed red booted dragon printed ice skates. Those would be some seriously awesome skates! Or maybe Ferrari themed skates. I could be fast like a Ferrari on the ice with those. Ok, so I would totally not mind buying a pair of white skates and painting them red if it were a practical and professionally done job. So, is there anywhere that I could get a pair of ice skates painted red in a manner that looked professionally done and would be durable enough of a job to keep up with the rough and tumble environment of ice skating? It would have to be water and scratch proof, or just a custom boot made of red material altogether as the more likely solution, and yes, I am looking to pay upwards of $1500 if need be. You can't put a price on things like ingenuity or creativity. That and I have a pretty great job.

vlaurend

Final Flight
The two major skate boot makers on the west coast are in the San Francisco area and both make custom boots. I've got one friend whose boots are black with flames on the sides (you'd love them!) and another whose boots are a leopard skin print. Another one has an inlay of a cupcake on the side of the boot. If you have the budget, just get fitted for either Harlick or SP Teri boots by an experienced fitter in your area (you can call Harlick and SP Teri to ask them whom they'd recommend in Seattle/Tacoma), then figure out which feels better on your foot. Then either you or the fitter at your pro shop can call up the boot maker and discuss what stiffness and features are best for your skating and what special color, inlay or design you want on your boots. You'll have completely unique boots that will also serve you well for skating! :)
Harlick website: http://www.harlick.com/pdf/price_custom.pdf
SP Teri website: http://spteri.com/collections/custom-boots

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you click on my profile name and look at the picture on my profile page you'll see a pair of hockey skates that we decked out with lights. It's pretty cool. We toyed around with lights that would flash when touched so if a puck hit them they would light up. That didn't work so we mounted them to the inside heal with a switch. They light up the ice and are pretty fun to skate in during the disco skates.

Or you can just click here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/member.php?23727-Sam-Skwantch

#DeckedOutKnifeBoots

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How do you add a photo of yourself on here? I can't seem to find the place to do it.

If you want to add an avatar, I believe you need 100 posts(?) to do that. Keep posting and you'll get there:)

davincisoprano

Rinkside
If you're willing to spend the money, then none of us can stop you. Though you should talk to a fitter to make sure you get skates for your level, rather than overbooting yourself.

With that said, on my old skates, I painted the bottoms light blue with nail polish and did a sparkle coat over it just for something subtle and fun. I also used colored laces (bright pink, green, you name it). There's ways to customize what you have without dropping $1500 on them.

But I do know Reidells can be ordered in custom colors, as can Harlicks, and I think they can do custom cutouts, too. Look at Johnny Weir's skates, he's painted the bottom bright red so they look like Louboutins.

davincisoprano

Rinkside
At the risk of sounding cynical....

If you're willing to spend $1500 on skates... why don't you use that money towards lessons until you're at Freestyle 1 and then invest in some custom skates? No amount of flashy skate is going to look good if you can barely skate in them. But if you can skate decently then it will show off the custom skates even more rather than looking like someone who can just drop money on skates without the skills to back them up.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
At the risk of sounding cynical....

If you're willing to spend $1500 on skates... why don't you use that money towards lessons until you're at Freestyle 1 and then invest in some custom skates? No amount of flashy skate is going to look good if you can barely skate in them. But if you can skate decently then it will show off the custom skates even more rather than looking like someone who can just drop money on skates without the skills to back them up.

^THIS. 110% this.

davincisoprano

Rinkside
In the end, it doesn't matter what any of us say because it sounds like you're going to do this regardless, however, I'm going to throw my 2 cents in.

Flashy skates will not look impressive on the ice if you can't skate. All you're saying it "I have money." Now maybe those skates will up your confidence, I don't know. But coming from the perspective of someone who has taken lessons for years, being able to skate is a LOT more impressive than what you have on your feet. If you can skate and skate well, it will show, even if you wear rentals. I can always tell when someone is in the sport for the sport or just to say they're a skater without taking anything else seriously.

Think of it this way: You work up for years in ballet to get to pointe shoes. You can't just go buy pointe shoes and start dancing en pointe. You risk a serious injury and will look foolish if you have absolutely no base to your skills. The same with skating. There are different levels in skates depending on what you are working on. You can get customs done to your strength, but when/if you take lessons and improve, are you going to drop another $1500 on custom skates to keep up with your level?

You could easily take a pair of black skates, paint them, and customize them yourself. Or pay someone to do it for you, so you aren't breaking the bank on something so expensive when you're not investing into any other aspect of skating. You're basically trying to buy a fancy car without knowing how to drive....

If you take the time to learn the skills, you could set a goal: custom flashy skates when you land an axel, or something like that. Make the skates worth your while. I skated in boots that were broken down and hurting my feet until I tested my silver moves in the field and my bronze freeskate (mostly because I didn't want to change skates before I tested) because I told myself, regardless of the outcome of that test session, I have worked hard and am ready to get new skates that won't hurt. And it was worth it because I felt like I had earned them with the time and energy I put into the skills.

Again, in the end, nothing we say is going to stop you if this is what you plan on doing, but IF you do it, at least go to someone reputable.

RyanPB

Rinkside
^THIS. 110% this.

Not to make fun of the post but what is the definition of being able to skate well? Its not like I'm falling all the time. I can skate pretty dang fast and an great at weaving in and out of people, and now I'm to the point of where I'm actually learning to stop pretty good. I know how to do crossovers and swizzels just fine but I can't jump or spin, those are pretty much the two things I can't do yet.

RyanPB

Rinkside
In the end, it doesn't matter what any of us say because it sounds like you're going to do this regardless, however, I'm going to throw my 2 cents in.

Flashy skates will not look impressive on the ice if you can't skate. All you're saying it "I have money." Now maybe those skates will up your confidence, I don't know. But coming from the perspective of someone who has taken lessons for years, being able to skate is a LOT more impressive than what you have on your feet. If you can skate and skate well, it will show, even if you wear rentals. I can always tell when someone is in the sport for the sport or just to say they're a skater without taking anything else seriously.

Think of it this way: You work up for years in ballet to get to pointe shoes. You can't just go buy pointe shoes and start dancing en pointe. You risk a serious injury and will look foolish if you have absolutely no base to your skills. The same with skating. There are different levels in skates depending on what you are working on. You can get customs done to your strength, but when/if you take lessons and improve, are you going to drop another $1500 on custom skates to keep up with your level?

You could easily take a pair of black skates, paint them, and customize them yourself. Or pay someone to do it for you, so you aren't breaking the bank on something so expensive when you're not investing into any other aspect of skating. You're basically trying to buy a fancy car without knowing how to drive....

If you take the time to learn the skills, you could set a goal: custom flashy skates when you land an axel, or something like that. Make the skates worth your while. I skated in boots that were broken down and hurting my feet until I tested my silver moves in the field and my bronze freeskate (mostly because I didn't want to change skates before I tested) because I told myself, regardless of the outcome of that test session, I have worked hard and am ready to get new skates that won't hurt. And it was worth it because I felt like I had earned them with the time and energy I put into the skills.

Again, in the end, nothing we say is going to stop you if this is what you plan on doing, but IF you do it, at least go to someone reputable.

I appreciate the information and I just want to clarify that I can actually skate pretty well. I can't jump or spin yet, but as far as speed skating and crossovers go I am faster than most of the people I see coming in on my working days, so it isn't like I have no skill. I fall on the ice maybe once a month if even that much and I can skate backwards, just not very fast. As far as how much I am looking to spend I was merely stating that I would be willing to spend up to something like $1500 for quality, which is what I intend to get despite whatever level of skating boot I may come to acquire. So, I am hearing the opinions and will be looking into either Harlick or Riedell while I continue to improve my skating strength and skills. :)

davincisoprano

Rinkside
That varies person to person, but I am most impressed when I see someone get on the ice who CLEARLY has solid skating skills. Beautiful textbook crossovers, variations in stops, lovely extensions. Basically someone that LOOKS like they've been skating and taking lessons.

You can tell when someone has learned from YouTube videos/self taught, and someone who takes lessons consistently.

I'm really not sure what you want to hear here, Ryan. Without seeing and video of your skills, we can't make any sort of accurate answer, but what we are all gathering from your posts is you are still very much a beginner.

Do you know what mohawks are? Brackets? Rockers? No? Because those are more advanced footwork skills. Just because one can "do crossovers and swizzles just fine" doesn't mean they are doing them well. But skating is not just jumping and spinning, crossovers and swizzles. It's stroking, edges, extension, presentation. Jumps and spins are hardly just the two things you can't do yet.

Consistent lessons with a coach will show you just that, plus give you the control needed in your skating so you're just not flying around the rink. I've seen plenty of public skaters who can skate fast that don't know how to stop well. It always ALWAYS results in an injury either to that skater or to another skater on the ice that they were trying to dodge and weave.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Not to make fun of the post but what is the definition of being able to skate well?

On one foot at a time on steady edges with control. All 8 edges: forward and backward, left and right foot, inside and outside edges.

Able to change from forward to backward on one foot (three turns) or changing from one foot to the other without resting on two feet (mohawks).

Those are just the beginning basics of being a figure skater at all.

And then to skate "well" in figure skating terms means to be able to do those skills with speed and security and with enough ease that turning and curving and changing direction -- always on one foot at a time -- come as easily as walking.

You may be doing "well" for a recreational skater, but if you can't yet glide on one foot on an edge for several seconds at a time, you haven't even started to scratch the surface of figure skating.

Now, if you're a full-sized adult who does your two-foot skating with speed, you do need stronger skates than a little kid tentatively venturing into the same beginning skills.

But you would not be well served by skates that are strong enough for teenagers doing double jumps and more difficult turns than threes and mohawks, with more speed than you can do your beginning skating.

Let alone by skates that are strong enough for grown men who regularly skate 25 mph with ease, very deep edges and deep knee bend, and jump 2-3 feet into the air to rotate four times and land those quadruple jumps on one foot. They pound those skates in ways that your or I never will, so we don't need the same kind of support.

RyanPB

Rinkside
I think my original question has been answered pretty well as far as what I was initially looking for. I went from having 0 options for customization of a boot to three options so thank you all for that very much. Now I am just hoping there will be a place somewhere in Washington that will allow me to be able to get custom fitted for a skating boot.

RyanPB

Rinkside
I am liking SP Terri so far. I called them and George SPTerri answered who I am assuming is a family owner of the business. He was able to provide me with a contact and a lot of excellent information as well. I really like family owned businesses like this because they always have EXCELLENT service. :D

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Here is an example of an elite skater (in this case, Max) in his Ice Flys doing very basic drills - and yes, even the top guys go back to basics to work on them. This is part of what you wanted to know was "good skating".

And here is why Max needs the support and strength offered by the Ice Flys, and why you definitely DON'T. He would do dozens and dozens of these EVERY DAY. THIS is what the Ice Flys are designed for.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I am liking SP Terri so far. I called them and George SPTerri answered who I am assuming is a family owner of the business. He was able to provide me with a contact and a lot of excellent information as well. I really like family owned businesses like this because they always have EXCELLENT service. :D

George Spiteri is the guy running the business. His son Aaron works there as well. George is a good guy and knows what he's doing. I have been in SP Teri boots for 20 years and he personally fitted me for my custom SP Teris (due to foot shape/fit requirements, not because I wanted a custom color or anything). Where did he recommend you go for a fitting? It's really an art and not everyone is good at it, so make sure you get the name of the person he's recommending, not just the skate shop.

Last edited:

davincisoprano

Rinkside
I won't lie, I'm still confused why someone who is still a beginner needs custom built skates. Unless you have a weird foot deformity, it's not necessary....

IMHO, I'd invest in the lessons first, then get "flashy" skates later.

Case in point: At the rink today, I stayed to skate public. A girl was out there in a pair of rentals throwing flip jumps, scratch spins, and centered LOW sit spins. I was impressed she could do that IN RENTALS. The fact is, people are going to look when you have the "flashy" skates because they're going to expect you know what the hell you're doing out there. And when they see you can't, they are going to judge because that's just how people are. Like I said earlier, I'm more impressed by good skating skills, not the equipment, because someone trained well will still be able to skate in something low level.

Anyways, enjoy your customs. :)

RyanPB

Rinkside
I won't lie, I'm still confused why someone who is still a beginner needs custom built skates. Unless you have a weird foot deformity, it's not necessary....

IMHO, I'd invest in the lessons first, then get "flashy" skates later.

Case in point: At the rink today, I stayed to skate public. A girl was out there in a pair of rentals throwing flip jumps, scratch spins, and centered LOW sit spins. I was impressed she could do that IN RENTALS. The fact is, people are going to look when you have the "flashy" skates because they're going to expect you know what the hell you're doing out there. And when they see you can't, they are going to judge because that's just how people are. Like I said earlier, I'm more impressed by good skating skills, not the equipment, because someone trained well will still be able to skate in something low level.

Anyways, enjoy your customs. :)

First off I have never cared if someone tries to judge me with a negative opinion. If someone came right up to my face and said, "What a freak this guy has nice skates and he can't even do a quadruple half hair-pin quarter turn deluxe special number 5 with a half twist at half of fifty degrees maximum!? What!?" I would just think to myself, "hey look, there's a person who probably approaches everything with negativity who judges people and to me is a random person I know nothing about and whose negative opinion of me I value about as much as I am excited about the idea of jumping off a cliff into a dumpster full of sharks made of lava." My point is that someone is always going to hate what you're doing and probably because you have good ideas that they didn't come up with first, but that doesn't mean that you yourself have to sink to such a low level of thinking. I typically like to surround myself with intelligence because blatant stupidity or arrogance is just insulting and frustrating and demotivating. I hope that is enough of a self-explanatory answer for you to be able to understand why I want to be unique in what I do. I like having my own style and I strongly dislike doing anything in the same ways as anyone else.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
RyanPB

If your budget is really what you say it is. Why not get both? Get your Ice Flys or whatever you like for your flashy pair that will make you happy but go head and get an entry level pair as well. For the $1,500.00 you were talking about, you likely could get a sexy pair for $1,350.00 and designate 10% of that for a $150.00 pair of entry level learn to skate practical boots. I don't know if anyone gets two pairs of boots, so the differentness should suit you. But this way you are covered from all sides. If you are just having fun - wear your fun boots. If you are taking a lesson and actually trying to learn something, wear your practical ones. This would give you a chance to feel what people are talking about regarding over booted and what not. This would let you decide what does work for you and what does not. If the sexy boots are too much, then you have a pair that does work for you and you also would know what you need to work on to get to the point the sexy pair does work - you said you were willing to do that I think.