Looking to buy some Edea Ice Fly skates, questions, please help. | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Looking to buy some Edea Ice Fly skates, questions, please help.

That said, I do think that what you describe can be possible as lifts/assisted jumps with one skater helping another to get up into the air and to land safely.

I wonder if skating acrobats like Bezedin and Polishchuk (or comic skaters Frick and Frack) have ever tried anything like that?

Loops

Rinkside
With your interest in backflips, Ryan, you might be more interested in this style of skating which combines elements of figure skating and elements of hockey and extreme skating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw7u2goh4G0

I was thinking the same thing. Plus, the freestyle skaters at our rink not only put LED's on their blades, but either have them sharpened a special way, or use a special runner that makes lots of noise. The effect is impressive. RyanPB why don't you google "extreme ice skating" or "freestyle" skating, and check out some videos- the team at my rink looks like they have a lot of fun, and they are certainly fun to watch.

RyanPB

Rinkside
Dang that dude in that video is crazy fast! Those are some pretty cool moves, especially that crazy dancing style of skating. I like :)

RyanPB

Rinkside
Thank you ladies and gentlemen for the links :) If any of you ever find yourselves in the south Seattle area you should stop by Kent Valley Ice Center, I'll probably be there. :). I am really getting a lot of good information from this so thank you all very much.

EricaD

Spectator
Thank you ladies and gentlemen for the links :) If any of you ever find yourselves in the south Seattle area you should stop by Kent Valley Ice Center, I'll probably be there. :). I am really getting a lot of good information from this so thank you all very much.

Shout out from Lakewood Winter Club over here! Tell Chloe and Sasha that Sophie's mom says hi! :)

tjm

Spectator
Q. I looked at the sizing and they are not standard sizes for boots (210 and up???), so, where can I got to get a proper sizing?

Q. I was looking at the boot, and I noticed that it appears that a blade has to be mounted to the boot manually and the boot even drilled. I have no idea how to do this properly and wouldn't feel comfortable just trying it from instruction myself on such expensive boots. Is there a place where I can take my skates to get blades mounted to them?

Q. I am looking to get some John Wilson Paramount Parabolic blades. Are these compatible with an Ice Fly boot?

Q. How do I order blades so they are the right size for the boot?

Q. Is there somewhere close by to me where I can go to possibly get properly fitted for boots? I live in Kent Washington in the USA.

As others have said, you really don't need a high end boot like the Ice Fly. With most boots, it's likely a stiffer, high end boot will actually hinder your skating because it will be so stiff that you won't develop proper strength and balance (referred to as overbooting). While the Ice Fly is a little different and you really can't overboot with it, the boot/blade combo you suggested will cost $1250+, and if you are serious about improving, you're definitely better off buying something like Jackson Freestyle and paying for 20+ private lessons.

Having said that, I just put my skater in Edea Ice Fly on Ultima Freestyle blades. She qualified for USFSA National Solo Dance Finals twice, and will compete USFSA Preliminary next year, probably ISI FS6. She's working on her double toe, and getting close to her double Lutz, so it's a boot/blade combo that she will 'skate into' over the next 12-14 months as she starts to get her double axle and begin her triple Salchow. She was in Risport RF3 and could have stayed in that boot for all her triple jumps, but we got a good deal on the Edea at Central Pacific Regionals. And they are pretty! So, to answer some of your questions:

* Edea boot sizes are in Millimeters. Measure the length of you foot (heel to toe) in mm and that should be your size.
* Once you move past beginners skates, all skates are sold separately as boots and blades. You can mount blades yourself, but you really need to know how to align blades properly or you risk serious injury.
* Any blade should fit an Edea Ice Fly boot.
* Your blade should be the length of the bottom of the boot, from the toe to the back of the heel. The base of the blade should not overhang the boot. In practice, this means you need to know the length of the boot to order blades. My skaters' Ice Fly boot size is 260, the blade length is 9 1/2 inches.

Answering you last question speaks to several questions. Every pair of Edea Ice Fly boots are custom fitted. Skates US is the American distributor. (http://www.skatesus.com/store/index.php?cPath=90_44). They can fit boots correctly from tracing of your feet. Simple as that. Once they have sized and fitted your boot, they can also size and mount blades. There's no practical break in period of the Ice Fly boot ... skate in it for 1 public session and it's fully broken in.

The Edea Ice Fly is a great boot. And it comes in black. My skaters says they are REALLY comfortable, and they are very light. But seriously, save $1000 by getting something like Jackson Freestyle, then spend your money on quality private lessons. Your skills will improve quickly and the enjoyment you get out of skating will be orders of magnitude greater!

--Tim

axelingho

Spectator
True, but I am only not jumping or spinning yet. That doesn't necessarily mean I don't intend to, but I also do not intend to be all graceful and glassy like a girl out there either. If I jump and spin its gonna be like a guy jump and a guy spin, not like a girl tho... :/
This is 3 years later but I just had to make an account to reply because this thread is golden material and its so laughable it made my day. This manz, Ryan Im assuming his name is pure gold. I have no idea where you are right now or what you are doing but 3 years ago you clearly had SO LITTLE knowledge on skating as a whole I died. You are so uncredibly cocky its hilarious for experienced figure skaters to read "i can skate fast" or "i only fall once a month". Figure skaters fall every practice, falling does not equate to bad skating. Besides that it's not clear which skating path you want to follow, figure skating hockey recreational ect, and you only seem to be concerned with the look of your boots instead of actually skating because as other people mentioned, if you actually wanted to improve youd invest in lessons and not new skates.

Girlbird

On the Ice
Right now I am using my own $180 pair of Jackson Mystiques I think. They are a one size fits all boot with a default Jackson blade that came already mounted onto the boot. They are heavy and most of the time hurt my feet when I skate. I can only imagine what having a comfortable pair of light-weight boots that have much better quality blades must be like when it comes to actual ice skating performance, so as far as buying a cheapo pair of beginner skates I am already in those. However, it sounds like to get a custom boot with a new blade it may even cost more than I was initially looking to spend, considering the cost of dying the leather boot as well as having a custom logo imprinted into the boot. I mean if I were going for something truly custom, even at a low level Harlick boot it sounds like these are going to cost a lot, which I don't mind paying as long as I am getting quality.

Just for reference I am looking to go to the Highland Arena Pro Shop in Shorline Washington to get the work done.

A one-size-fits-all boot? There's no such thing. By the way, figure skates are NEVER completely comfortable. They aren't sneakers. They're made to hug and support your foot.

This thread makes me laugh with incredulity.

Girlbird

On the Ice
This is 3 years later but I just had to make an account to reply because this thread is golden material and its so laughable it made my day. This manz, Ryan Im assuming his name is pure gold. I have no idea where you are right now or what you are doing but 3 years ago you clearly had SO LITTLE knowledge on skating as a whole I died. You are so uncredibly cocky its hilarious for experienced figure skaters to read "i can skate fast" or "i only fall once a month". Figure skaters fall every practice, falling does not equate to bad skating. Besides that it's not clear which skating path you want to follow, figure skating hockey recreational ect, and you only seem to be concerned with the look of your boots instead of actually skating because as other people mentioned, if you actually wanted to improve youd invest in lessons and not new skates.

I'm giggling over here in MN with a glass of wine in my hand!

SnowLily

Rinkside
Well actually, I'm not exactly sure what a single or a double is. Its a jump right? I'm still learning to stop in my skates and just starting to get the hang of it. I certainly can't skate backwards very fast, only swizzel-skate backwards, and I can't jump or spin really yet. I am after these skates because they look incredible and because I am dedicated and willing to put in all of the work to break them in and to get to the level of where I need to be while trying not to injure myself. I just want these skates because they look different than any other skate and I want to be flying out there in something that looks awesome. The fact that I need to break these in/reach the level needed to even be able to wear them for basic skating is really on the back burner for me.

Pretty sure someone already answered this, but I agree. First of all, no you will not break in Ice Flys with swizzles and snowplow stops. Getting to a single or double will take you many, many years of hard work and dedication. You can't choose your skates by how they look, no matter how amazing they look. That's really overbooting yourself, and it'll hurt your feet. You don't need the support a skater who is landing doubles needs.

SnowLily

Rinkside
I appreciate the information and I just want to clarify that I can actually skate pretty well. I can't jump or spin yet, but as far as speed skating and crossovers go I am faster than most of the people I see coming in on my working days, so it isn't like I have no skill. I fall on the ice maybe once a month if even that much and I can skate backwards, just not very fast. As far as how much I am looking to spend I was merely stating that I would be willing to spend up to something like $1500 for quality, which is what I intend to get despite whatever level of skating boot I may come to acquire. So, I am hearing the opinions and will be looking into either Harlick or Riedell while I continue to improve my skating strength and skills. :)

I just had to reply... Even if this is from 3 years ago... But the Ice Flys are for people who are doing doubles and singles! Double jumps, like double loops, flips, lutz, sal. No ones trying to discourage you, but you'll injure yourself with those skates! And falling a lot doesn't mean you're bad. I fall a lot, great skaters fall, and Olympic skaters fall. There are many good quality skates out there with less support, so you won't injure yourself. Skating backwards and crossovers do not mean you're an elite skater and needs $1500 skates.
(this was hilarious and I just had to reply)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Why are people commenting on a zombie thread? Just let it go, the OP is long gone.