2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion

Icey

Record Breaker
whether a piece of music is boring or not is in the ear of the listener

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the men's victory ceremony, was that Ondrej Nepela's coach presenting the trophy to Jason? She had a lot to say to him:) Would love to be able to hear that conversation....

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I really don't like how the B events pages are organized. Hope each B event has its own folder and each folder has multiple thread. Anyway, I am only interested in seeing Evgenia and Anna for this event. I am glad Anna did much better than her SP, and Evgenia got Gold. I didn't see the protocols but I guess Evgenia didn't get a good second mark since her program is almost flawless except for the skid and fall, compared with Anna's. I also think her dress should be brighter and more exciting for both programs. It kind of disappeared into the background.

chameleon

On the Ice
Would it be possible to have separate threads for each event/discipline? This thread is over 100 pages long so it's a little hard to navigate.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Would it be possible to have separate threads for each event/discipline? This thread is over 100 pages long so it's a little hard to navigate.

I think someone pointed out up thread that in the past two years the entire thread was only 14-15 pages. So that's probably why it was done this way.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I really don't like how the B events pages are organized. Hope each B event has its own folder and each folder has multiple thread. Anyway, I am only interested in seeing Evgenia and Anna for this event. I am glad Anna did much better than her SP, and Evgenia got Gold. I didn't see the protocols but I guess Evgenia didn't get a good second mark since her program is almost flawless except for the skid and fall, compared with Anna's. I also think her dress should be brighter and more exciting for both programs. It kind of disappeared into the background.

Grand Prixs are set up this way with each discipline having its own thread. I think this is just the first year the Challenger Bs are getting more attention.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Agreed. I think more people watch senior Bs than the junior grand prix, so it does get overwhelming. And not everyone is interested in all disciplines so it would be nice to not have to sift through all those extra pages. I absolutely love how the JGP threads are set up :)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Word to the wise re navigating this lengthy thread:

ICYMI, what I will call "bookmark links" to different segments within the thread are in the OPs for each discipline on page 1 of the thread.
Our ever-helpful Doris has been adding these bookmark links as the comp has unfolded and the thread has shifted focus accordingly.

In the example below, I've highlighted in red her bookmark links in post #2 for the Ladies discipline -- which indicate where within the thread the discussions of the Ladies SP and Ladies FS started.

Posts #3, 4, and 5 have bookmarks for the other disciplines.​

event schedule:

ladies free skate

saturday, october 3, 2015
12:15. Utc+2
6:15 am eastern

livestream
http://nepelatrophy.weebly.com/live.html

free skate live results
http://www.kraso.sk/wp-content/uploads/sutaze/2015_2016/20151001_ont/seg004.htm

fs protocols will be here
http://www.kraso.sk/wp-content/uploads/sutaze/2015_2016/20151001_ont/cssvk2016_ladies_fs_scores.pdf

ladies free skate commentary starts here
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...epela-trophy&p=1233588&viewfull=1#post1233588

short program
october 1, 2015 - thursday *
1:30 pm - 4:45 pm ladies short program (utc+2)
eastern time 7:30 a.m.

sp live results
http://www.kraso.sk/wp-content/uploads/sutaze/2015_2016/20151001_ont/seg003.htm

sp protocols
http://www.kraso.sk/wp-content/uploads/sutaze/2015_2016/20151001_ont/cssvk2016_ladies_sp_scores.pdf

ladies sp commentary starts at this post
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...epela-trophy&p=1230890&viewfull=1#post1230890

Of course, long after the "live" commentary of the Ladies SP (for example) ended, additional posts about the Ladies SP presumably did pop up in the thread much later.

But the bookmark links can at least help us skip ahead to the major chunk of posts that were added as a particular segment of the comp unfolded.

Thank you, Doris :).

Last edited:

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I am going to comment on dance. I must say I am pleasantly surprised with GP FD! Their FD was imaginative and interesting. It flowed well. I liked their spins and they had nice transitions. If they fix their SD they could be really competitive this season.

The Shibs... their FD is fine. I actually like the choreo of both their FD and SD, but they are struggling with the technical aspects. They will not be competitive unless they fix that, obviously. They lost out not only to GP but also to the Brits, so they have no chance of competing with Chock/Bates. They scored closer to Hubbell/Donahue than to CB, although HD scored that in the US, so, I guess we'll see what they score outside the US.

Anyway, in conclusion, very nice FD by GP, must rate it is the most original I have seen this season.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I thought the Shibutanis would have scored higher with that FD. I was expected G&P to end up 3rd. I'm by no means even close to an expert on ice dance technique though. Anyhow, this is the first FD by the Shibs that I've really liked in a while.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
just watched a few things here and there...

gabby: better than i thought.. i think she has improved quite a lot in presentation... still canadian #3 from what i've seen so far this year.

JB : despite admiring his skating, i have never been a fan... however, i think this FP suits him a lot more than the ones from the past... my only negative comment would be that the outfit+the pony tail makes me think too much of holly hunter when he skates... and that's troubling me for some odd reason :) i like the cleavage at the front but maybe not at the back :) hehe.. I WOULD PAY MONEY to see him get a crew cut... (i am being totally shallow here but I don't like pony tails for men :) )

AND i agree with other posters.. i think the program would be more successful if it included one of the main theme from the soundtrack... it's a bit too subdued... it would bring in the crowd for sure

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The trouble with trying to have folders for each of the Challengers series is that there are way too many of them.

But we will kick the situation around and try to improve the sitation. 100 page threads on 8 separate competitions is difficult to sort out.

I hope the bookmark links help a bit.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Did we ever find out why Artimieva wasn't at the ceremony? Someone said they saw her standing off the ice in jeans and a t-shirt, so she obviously wasn't ill or anything. IMO, this is completely unacceptable behaviour. Everyone else was able to put their costumes back on and get to the ceremony, why not her?

bramweld

Record Breaker
Did we ever find out why Artimieva wasn't at the ceremony? Someone said they saw her standing off the ice in jeans and a t-shirt, so she obviously wasn't ill or anything. IMO, this is completely unacceptable behaviour. Everyone else was able to put their costumes back on and get to the ceremony, why not her?

Maybe she got the times mixed up. Maybe she left the rink to be back in time and got caught in traffic. Maybe she overslept. Cut the girl a little slack I'm sure she isn't aiming to be a serial offender. Podium police :laugh2:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Maybe she got the times mixed up. Maybe she left the rink to be back in time and got caught in traffic. Maybe she overslept. Cut the girl a little slack I'm sure she isn't aiming to be a serial offender. Podium police :laugh2:

:thumbsup: I am sure she meant no harm and had some reason- possibly skate or costume troubles, possibly illness, possibly just confusion. I agree it's unprofessional to some degree, but the way some people act when skaters don't show up kind of blows my mind, especially in a situation like this where it's pretty much unthinkable that she was trying to make any kind of statement- 3rd here and her PB scores are an unbelievably good result for her, definitely the best she could have hoped for, and she looked very happy in K&C. Anna also seemed to know what was going on/be happy to receive her prizes for her which adds to my impression that no statement was being made. Cut her break like bramwald says. We've all had something like this happen to us at some point in our lives, it's just almost all of us are fortunate to live our lives out of the public and not have thousands of members of a forum know.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But why didn't she go out there? It wasn't the jeans and t-shirt that was bad. It was the fact that she did not go out there. It is disrespectful to everyone - her competitors, the event organisers, everyone. Not acceptable. Even if it were not a requirement that she attend the podium ceremony - which at internationals it usually IS - it's called common bloody courtesy and decency.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I wasn't a huge fan of G/P's program.

I think people here are greatly exaggerating C/B's faults, but even if not it is clear what the Shibs need to fix to beat them- the levels. I flatly don't believe there is some Euro conspiracy to elevate C/B of all teams. The honest truth is that the Shibs can't hit levels in the early season to save their lives for the past few years, and that is a big problem for them. That is what they need to fix. Loving them and their programs (which I do) doesn't change that.

I agree with this. I really enjoy the british team's free dance. It really hoghlights who they are as ice dancers.mthey might not be the conventional ice dance team but to say 'they are not trying' or that 'what they are doing is not ice dance' or 'they have no skating skills' is so closed minded.
The fact is that the british team hit their levels and the shibutani's lost levels on their step sequences.

Also, remember that this is still pre- grand prix.
The shibutanis have 2 assignments on the grand prix to prove themselves. The british i believe only have one assignment due to Penny's illness before worlds (thus not getting the points needed for 2 assignments)

tulosai

Record Breaker
The shibutanis have 2 assignments on the grand prix to prove themselves. The british i believe only have one assignment due to Penny's illness before worlds (thus not getting the points needed for 2 assignments)

This is correct, they only have TEB right now, though they are very high on the substitutes list in the event that there are any withdrawls.