2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion

TMC

Record Breaker
Nepla Trophy? Is that how it's spelled in Slovak or is this another "Free Danec" :laugh:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looked like I missed something namely Yura Matsuda. Did not see that coming and did not see her skate. Now it is getting even more interesting. If Alisa wins, Serafima gets at least bronze, and Yura beats Yuna Alisa has a chance to make it to the final.

This is the Ondrej Nepela thread. Not trying to sound mean.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Watching Zhenya's SP. Pleasantly surprised! I like it much more than her FS. Watching this, I really can't see why I said she was boring...this program isn't boring at all. Maybe it's just better on the second viewing.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I'm beginning to realize that when Anna P falls, she FALLS.

By that I mean full-on, splayed-out-on-the-ice wipeouts, usually on her stomach and almost always into the boards. I just watched her SP and she fell on her stomach/side twice (hitting the boards on the way up once), which is worrying, because those falls are really hard to rebound from (don't I know it :disapp:). It was kind of similar to Worlds, and that is not good. :no: Is she sick again? I seem to recall that was what happened at Worlds.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I'm beginning to realize that when Anna P falls, she FALLS.

By that I mean full-on, splayed-out-on-the-ice wipeouts, usually on her stomach and almost always into the boards. I just watched her SP and she fell on her stomach/side twice (hitting the boards on the way up once), which is worrying, because those falls are really hard to rebound from (don't I know it :disapp:). It was kind of similar to Worlds, and that is not good. :no: Is she sick again? I seem to recall that was what happened at Worlds.

I have though the same things. Some like Hanyu (as in his falls usually don't look as klutzy and are more graceful, don't disrupt the program as much and usually he bounced back up like a spring, so the full effect is less jarring and appears to be less painful - he appears to know how to recognize when he is going down so he can do so in as quick of a bounce back up way as possible) know how to fall... others just don't know how to fall well. It's a weird skill.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Loved Jason's SP.

I was hoping to read the PBP, but the pages and pages of endless whining about the stream and live scoring made that difficult.

You guys remember the gushing we were doing about Doris and volunteers at the start of the thread?

Well, guess who's running this comp. Volunteers. Sometimes, things go wrong. It happens. And yes, I can assure you that ISUCalc LOVES to update at COMPLETELY inconvenient times and YES, I have sat on panels at a competition where ISUCalc so charmingly updated three days beforehand. It is NOT FUN for anyone, especially the technical panel. And it's not the fault of the competition organisers.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Loved Jason's SP.

I was hoping to read the PBP, but the pages and pages of endless whining about the stream and live scoring made that difficult.

You guys remember the gushing we were doing about Doris and volunteers at the start of the thread?

Well, guess who's running this comp. Volunteers. Sometimes, things go wrong. It happens. And yes, I can assure you that ISUCalc LOVES to update at COMPLETELY inconvenient times and YES, I have sat on panels at a competition where ISUCalc so charmingly updated three days beforehand. It is NOT FUN for anyone, especially the technical panel. And it's not the fault of the competition organisers.

No, it absolutely was not their fault. Sometimes technology has a mind of its own...:disapp:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

That's a PBP of the stream, isn't it? ;)

In all fairness, it can be challenging to do live PBP when there's no sound, no picture, no scores, or the camera-man isn't following the skater, but you can hear him talking on his cell phone... :slink:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Loved Jason's SP.

True....As a judge I can tell you that it's absolutely horrible when computers fail at a competition. As a judge we speak into digital recorders and then write our scores on score sheet which are picked up by a "Runner" who takes them to the "Tabulator" after that, it's out of our hands. I always feel sorry for the event host as they usually get blamed for things they can't control. If the tabulator's computer goes down, it usually only effects the current "Division" of skaters. Men's SP for example. The Ladies Event would be on a separate file and the judges would receive new recorders for them as well.

Believe me. The Head Judge at this event is more than frustrated by any delay in the event schedule.