2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Right, I know that the comment I am about to quote is from a completely different part of the forum, and about a completely different subject. And that it is bad form to quote yourself. BUT, there is method in my madness.

:clap: That's more like it! :points: Looking at the positive side of things!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

CaroLiza_fan

Little did I realise that just 2 months later, that we would be having an in-depth discussion about that very video!

Monty Python is not everybody's cup of tea. Yes, "The Life Of Brian" (the film for which this song provides the end piece) is seen by some as being in bad taste. And Eric Idle isn't the best singer in the world by any stretch of the imagination. But that is the whole point!

As I have said before, the thing that I find controversial about Keegan's performance is not that he used this song; it is that he has not used the original version! If you look up Doris' very useful list of music used for the Men's SP in this post, you will see that he has instead used the version form the Monty Python stage musical, "Spamalot". So we have Michael McGrath singing instead of Eric Idle. And it just doesn't have the same impact.

For somebody who is picturing the cast hanging on crosses, it is rather strange to have a tap dancing sequence in the middle of the song! Like, their feet are 6 foot off the ground, how are they supposed to tap dance?!

I don't know. Maybe this is the disadvantage of knowing the background to the music that somebody is skating to. Like, we saw where that led us when we were discussing Liza's exhibition routine at Dreams On Ice in her Fan Fest during the summer...

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I thought I was the only one who thought that. Weird considering how much I liked her programs last year :confused:

I feel exactly the same way. I really enjoyed her programs last year, but I find myself spacing out halfway through her short program. Also, I am more than done with the tano jumps. :p

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I think Evgenia's SP is very elegant and sophisticated. I don't find it boring even a little bit. :shrug:

Jagger

Rinkside
Evgenia´s SP is so boring.
+1
I felt the same especially after Artemyeva
Maria has good lines, a posture. Looks as a crystal figurine. But Zhenya was very slow. As if I was watching a slow motion.
In my opinion Maria's PCS have to be higher.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm so sad about Adian's SP! I'm going to blame it on the fact that his competitive costume makes him look less sexy than his practice outfit.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I won't argue with the placements, and it's early season yet, but still I think Jason deserved even better scores re PCS. He is simply so refined and detailed with his presentation skills and choreography. I don't care who doesn't like Jason's style (it's definitely being emulated by many up-and-coming men, including Kolyada, btw).

Jason has clearly been landing the quad in practice, so it's rather tiresome the repetitive refrain about him not being able to compete with the "big boys" w/o the quad, especially when he has done just that in fine fashion. The next step for Jason is working on managing to put the quad cleanly into his programs, and that's a huge step. So easy for fans to sit back and criticize. Jason is a top skater, clearly cream of the crop as 4th at 2015 Worlds, even without a quad!

Obviously, this season it appears that judges aren't primed to fully respect and give due credit for all that Jason does so much better than everyone else. Sure Jason had the highest PCS, but it should have been some points higher. I don't think the third place skater (Gorshov) is so exceptional that his overall score should be so close to Jason's. I really enjoy Kolyada's skating and his quality is top-notch, but I think he was a bit over-scored for his performance.

In pairs, I'm fairly bored by Tarasova/Morozov. Yes they are quite elegant and consistent technically, but their music choices and choreo don't do a lot for them, and they still don't have an exciting presence on the ice. And yes, it's easy for me to criticize what I don't like about them, but I do also give them credit for their strengths. I understand why T/M are in first place, but clearly Stolbova/Klimov are a more accomplished and stylish team with more presence and oomph. S/K need to get it together because they should win this event.

Ashtakova/Roganov have great energy and I understand why many fans find them appealing, but to me they are still a bit rough around the edges. Despite having very good technique, they don't draw me in at all. Gretchen (D/B) really by now needs to start landing her jumps. D/B have a fun sp and good potential as a new team, but they won't be very competitive w/o Gretchen getting those jumps together so they can further fine-tune and steadily improve all aspects of their skating.

Ohhh, Dylan and Luba. Maybe the sp will eventually work better, but it doesn't necessarily show them off to great advantage right now. They do have some good elements in their program but it didn't quite sizzle as intended. Last year's sp had better music and concept. Plus, I think Luba needs to do something more with her hair. She either needs to get it cut in a sassier style (right now hanging loose it looks messy) or get hair extensions and better styling. Plus they really need to hit everything cleanly in order to build their confidence and reputation.

Sad for Mariah, who is clearly a much better skater than she showed here. It looks like she does not feel comfortable with this program. Perhaps she does not feel as motivated and inspired by the music as she was by her last season's sp. I wonder what went wrong in the middle of the program as she began to melt down on the jumps? This kind of thing happens of course to every skater, but Mariah at this point needs to have better showings in order to start making more of an impact and building buzz and reputation internationally. This start obviously is a set back. Hopefully, she will be able to shrug off what happened in the sp and show off some grit and her true talent in the fp. Perhaps Mariah should have kept her sp from last season and just worked on the new fp, and on upping and improving her consistency technically.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Meryl and Charlie worked with Derek Hough of Dancing With the Stars.

I hadn't read who the Shibs worked with for the SD, but it shows nicely. Beautiful program. I agree that it would help if they danced a little closer.

i remember reading working on SD with Derek and FD with Alex, and they even changed Derek's choreo but i am following figure skating for little more than a year
about Shibs SD, from their thread (thanks to Miss P for the link) https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/status/585464069769035777
and related post

Last edited:

belladashwood

Rinkside
they worked with Alex Wong from So You Think You Can Dance, he worked with Merly and Charlie for their 2013-2014 FD as well i think, i dont remember if anyone else helped choreographing though

Meryl and Charlie worked w/ Alex Wong on their 2012-2013 Giselle SD to get the balletic feel for the non-Yankee Polka portions of the SD, not their 2013-2014 Scheherazade FD (the choreography for that was all Marina).

Meryl and Charlie worked with Derek Hough of Dancing With the Stars.

I hadn't read who the Shibs worked with for the SD, but it shows nicely. Beautiful program. I agree that it would help if they danced a little closer.

Yeah, Derek helped out a bit on D/W's 2013-2014 My Fair Lady SD to get the Quickstep feel for the Finstep pattern portion of their SD. Maia needs to sell the performance & be more expressive, but yeah the Shibs need to skate closer together otherwise they have the goods to pass Chock & Bates, the problem is Marina is not the technician Igor is w/ being consistent at keeping their levels up & consistent.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Meryl and Charlie worked w/ Alex Wong on their 2012-2013 Giselle SD to get the balletic feel for the non-Yankee Polka portions of the SD, not their 2013-2014 Scheherazade FD (the choreography for that was all Marina).

Yeah, Derek helped out a bit on D/W's 2013-2014 My Fair Lady SD to get the Quickstep feel for the Finstep pattern portion of their SD. Maia needs to sell the performance & be more expressive, but yeah the Shibs need to skate closer together otherwise they have the goods to pass Chock & Bates, the problem is Marina is not the technician Igor is w/ being consistent at keeping their levels up & consistent.

i see, thanks for clearing it up :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i remember reading working on SD with Derek and FD with Alex, and they even changed Derek's choreo but i am following figure skating for little more than a year
about Shibs SD, from their thread (thanks to Miss P for the link) https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/status/585464069769035777
and related post

Oh, okay. Since Derek is my all-weather favorite, I had to get that straight. :) And as far as I understood it, he didn't choreograph with the idea of being "the choreographer" but to work with them to get new, original takes on things.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Could someone provide a link to the SD videos, if there is one? I've looked in the OPs and haven't had any luck. Thanks. :)

georgiana

Rinkside
Could someone provide a link to the SD videos, if there is one? I've looked in the OPs and haven't had any luck. Thanks. :)

Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyUEip62qyc

Kavita LORENZ / Panagiotis POLIZOAKIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpwZPL5IPLo

Victoria MANNI / Saverio GIACOMELLI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDbf-uuddso

Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7um0Fz4tavI

Federica TESTA / Lukas CSOLLEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR_-a3Gl8uQ

Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik6oaKrdT6w