JGP Riga Cup Men FS Aug 29 | Page 10 | Golden Skate

JGP Riga Cup Men FS Aug 29

gmyers

Record Breaker
But would it be best to him overall for his well-being....like would it be best to have him move away just for that, or would he be happy being coached where he is now?

Good question! I don't know how he views his career at this point and what his year by year goals are. He can be in senior events soon but since he's not in seniors yet why move?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Hmm . . .

So, overall, I have to say I agree with TheGrandSophy's assessment of the PCS in this competition.

I also agree with gallavich's comment about not making blanket judgment calls regarding all skaters from a single country. (Drives me up the wall when people constantly knock the Chinese pairs spins, despite the fact that those comments were originally directed toward S&Z and Z&Z. Honestly, who totally blew their spins at last years Worlds? It wasn't China). I think there is more of a pattern of emphasis on the jumps in senior Russian men's skating as a whole right now than on the presentation. And--based on what I've seen at Bratislava & Riga--I think there are some signs of more balanced athletes and perhaps some athletes with the opposite strength coming up through the junior ranks.

But Aliev isn't where I see that. Have to agree with the people who didn't find his program memorable. Maybe this is in part because Deniss is such a phenomenal natural performer. Though for some perspective, I didn't find anything memorable about Roman Sadovsky's program last week either. In fact I wasn't blown away by any of the top three guys last week, and certainly not by Krasnozhon. So this isn't a harsh criticism from my perspective or one leveled at an athlete from a particular country. OTOH, I did find the following programs memorable: Deniss Vasiljevs (both), Koshiro Shimada (both), Daniil Bernadiner (esp. his short), Paolo Borromeo (esp. his long), Kevin Aymoz (both). And I think Petr has the potential to go on that list for me in the future as well.

Anyway, I think Aliev would benefit from more focus on presentation. Just as I'm sure Deniss knows he would benefit from a more solid triple axle.

Overall, I found the men's competition in Riga to be more exciting than the one last week. So kudos to all the top guys who made that possible.

TMC

Record Breaker
I have no problem with the scores - this time. As Deniss was about to finish, I even said to hubby "that's a 130, but he will get around 135". (I tend to be the more critical the more I like a skater). I NEVER get anything right like that so sorry Deniss, your 2nd biggest fangirl (assuming Gallavich is your number one) has to let someone else have the gold this time. But I enjoyed your program the most, still!

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Finaly caught up

Lovely perfs from my bb Petr & Kevin :cheer:

Also LOTR OST!!!!!!:rock::rock::rock:

Last edited: