2015 JGP Colorado Springs Pairs SP Sep 3 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 JGP Colorado Springs Pairs SP Sep 3

sbaker

On the Ice
This is going to be interesting...I wouldn't expect any of the Russian pairs or the Korean pair to be used to altitude, maybe the Canadians, and the three US pairs are from Florida and New Jersey, neither of which are particularly altitudey. So it'll be surprising!

I also think it will be surprising! But the Koreans actually train in CO Springs with Delilah Sappenfield, so they should be good!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Koreans are OK with the altitude---they train under Delilah, and this is their home rink. But they are the only ones. Weinberg / Fernandez and Rose / Goodpaster train in Florida, and Marvaldi / Goodpaster in NJ. Gubanova / Sintsov and Ivanova / Khakimov train in Perm (less than 200m) and Mishina / Mirzoev in St. Petersburg (sea level).

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Vladislav, huh?

Congratulations, Vladislav's parents-you have created a name so confusing, no announcer will ever get it right the first time! :rofl:

What's wrong with the name? My best friend is Vladislav, I don't know what's so funny.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh. My apologies. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's just very difficult to pronounce.
That's nothing. Give Yulia's middle name a go.

Yulia Vyacheslavovna Lipnitskaya

I love Russian names and since I've been studying the language more I'm starting to really enjoy the spoken language.

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
Oh. My apologies. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's just very difficult to pronounce.

Nah, it's okay. His son's second name will be Vladislavovich, try to pronounce THAT :)

That's nothing. Give Yulia's middle name a go.

Yulia Vyacheslavovna Lipnitskaya

I love Russian names and since I've been studying the language more I'm starting to really enjoy the spoken language.

:yes: Exactly my point.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Yikes...that is a lot of letters :laugh:

Yes, many Russian names are really cool...however, they are a bit difficult to pronounce (and spell)! During the Olympics it took me several days to learn how to say Lipnitskaya, and to this day I can't spell Tatiana V's last name.

Snow63

Record Breaker

Yes, many Russian names are really cool...however, they are a bit difficult to pronounce (and spell)! During the Olympics it took me several days to learn how to say Lipnitskaya, and to this day I can't spell Tatiana V's last name.

Most of the people still pronounce Yulia's last name wrong. They say LipnitskAya, the correct way is LipnItskaya, the accent on the second syllable.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I say it like Yulya LipnItskeeya and people look at me like I'm an idiot.

So back to topic....I missed everything tonight. Where should I Start??

Layback11

Record Breaker
I say it like Yulya LipnItskeeya and people look at me like I'm an idiot.

So back to topic....I missed everything tonight. Where should I Start??

An American team won! :cheer:

Russians in 2nd, Koreans in 3rd. Canadians (5th?) skating to Chicago (but not the usual cuts) were my personal favorites.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

Yes, many Russian names are really cool...however, they are a bit difficult to pronounce (and spell)!

For me, it's the transliteration that complicates things. Some Russian names/words look like a random mess of English letters (after Romanization) but when written in Cyrillic, seem perfectly natural for me to pronounce.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
For me, it's the transliteration that complicates things. Some Russian names/words look like a random mess of English letters (after Romanization) but when written in Cyrillic, seem perfectly natural for me to pronounce.

That's how I feel about Korean names and words.

Speaking of Korean, I really enjoyed Kim/Kam. I hope they keep up the hard work and improvement and earn a spot at the Olympics. It was so charming the way their training mates cheered for them. I think I saw Max Settlage standing up, too. He's the best.

Snow63

Record Breaker

This is SO true.:)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Lovely Kor team indeed

Congrats to others as well

Most of the people still pronounce Yulia's last name wrong. They say LipnitskAya, the correct way is LipnItskaya, the accent on the second syllable.
this habit of stressing on second to last syllable drives me mad:biggrin:
why ButyrskAya, PluSchEnko, RadionOva etc. etc. brrrr

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Vladislav, huh?

Congratulations, Vladislav's parents-you have created a name so confusing, no announcer will ever get it right the first time! :rofl:

Also, techno country Bolero must die.

It must die in a glorious fireball.

LOLOLOL.

The horror! Oh! The horror!

What possesses choreographers and coaches to allow such things? I think THEY should be made to skate to that sh... stuff. In public. On television. Wearing nothing but sequins and nude mesh fabric.

:)

ETA: I actually like HER quite a bit. She's got something. He on the other hand looked bored out of his mind. If you look bored how do you expect to engage an audience?

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm in love with the Koreans. Wow, I forgot how good the Whiplash ST is, but what a TERRIFIC choice. And they PERFORM. Yeah, some of the elements aren't up to the level of the performance, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on them. They really light up and perform--and that is something that is so hard to teach.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Thank you for pointing out the correct pronunciation of her name. Most people simply don't know HOW to pronounce many Russian names, so in the case a little knowledge is a valuable thing. :)