2015 JGP Colorado Springs Short Dance Sep 4 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2015 JGP Colorado Springs Short Dance Sep 4

sbaker

On the Ice
Oh, I don't think it was inflated at all! I just wondered how it could possibly be that there were two 12-point gaps after the SP and both happened to be the 2nd highest junior score ever (and both by an American)! :laugh2: I guess only the US sent its best skaters to this event, so the field was weak enough to allow it.

Ironically, in both pairs and ladies, the top three are separated by less than two points.

Gotcha! Haha it is interesting! Men and Dance are definitely the strongest junior US fields... And the competition wasn't very fierce this time! I am so curious to see the best compete in the final. I am also curious to see how high M/C's scores climb this season!

I think it was super smart to stay junior this year and continue to build a rep.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Oh, I don't think it was inflated at all! I just wondered how it could possibly be that there were two 12-point gaps after the SP and both happened to be the 2nd highest junior score ever (and both by an American)! :laugh2: I guess only the US sent its best skaters to this event, so the field was weak enough to allow it.

My 4-point theory:

I don't believe in comparing dance scores from competition to competition. In my experience, people do this every year during the Senior Grand Prix trying to prove that the high mark for the Canadians in Canada is better than the high mark for the Americans in the U.S is better than the high mark for the Russians in Russia is better than the one for the French in France. Then bam--the Italians get to Worlds and suddenly score better than they did during the whole Grand Prix, where--of course--they didn't get to host an event. Rankings, IMO, mean a whole lot more in dance than individual scores.

Sure, there is a tendency for skaters to score better at home. This is not rocket science. We all know this. It's true absolutely across the board in every country I have ever seen host a sporting event. (In my state's school basketball leagues, all home-game wins earn less credit toward the championship than away-game wins for exactly this reason; and basketball isn't judged, it just has referees who make judgment calls).

That said, how did we end up with two huge gaps in the short at Colorado Springs?

In one discipline, all the major players made a major error except one. The person who didn't was already a favorite. Also skated one of the best performances of that individual's career. Bam! Huge lead.

In dance, we had the World Junior Silver Medalists up against an entire field of essentially non-ranked teams. I think we also had a generous panel. Lots of teams here had personal bests. If a panel is generous to the teams at the bottom, they'd better be likewise to the teams at the top. The second-highest team here has been together for no longer than 6 months. McNamara & Carpenter have been on the Junior Grand Prix alone for 4 years. Bam! Huge gap.

The highest dance total thus far in the Grand Prix went to the Parsons, whom M&C already outscored at Lake Placid. No surprise this SD went over 60. That said, M&C had to skate well to blow that score out of the water, and they did. Very well in the short, IMO.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Finished watching first group!

Looks I have the fortune of my first and my last name being uncommon. Though my first name is more common than my last lol.

I'm surprised that you think your first name is uncommon, because "Kylie" is a VERY common name over here in the UK, especially for those in their twenties. Like, I can remember at least THREE Kylies at my school (and that is just the ones I knew! There was bound to be more!)

The reason for this is that the Australian soap "Neighbours" was VERY popular in the UK in the late Eighties / early Nineties. And one of the most popular characters at that time was a young girl called "Charlene Mitchell", who was played by an actress called Kylie Minogue. You might have heard tell of her... ;)

The episode where Charlene married Scott Robinson (played by a guy called Jason Donovan - you might have heard tell of him too! ;) ) has became legendary! Even though it was broadcast over 25 years ago, it still gets talked about!

Anyway, because people liked Charlene/Kylie so much, fans started naming their children after her. Hence why the name "Kylie" is now so common amongst women in their twenties.

They both seem so small that I keep forgetting they're 14/15

Yes, I kept thinking they were 12/13 or 13/14... So cute though! Excited to see how they progress.

I know! Like, 14/15 isn't exactly ancient, but GROPMAN / SOMERVILLE look a LOT younger than even that!

Put it like this, I have been watching a documentary series on CBBC called "Ice Stars" (see this thread). And the main Ice Dance couple being featured in it are aged 12/14. And, although this couple do look their age, GROPMAN / SOMERVILLE still manage to look a LOT younger than them!!!

That is what I don't like about Junior competitions. That the age range is so big that we have wee children (like GROPMAN / SOMERVILLE of America) competing against skaters that are essentially grown-ups (like the couples either side of them, SCHWENDINGER / WUNDERLICH of Germany and BENT / RAZGULAJEVS of Canada). It just doesn't seem fair to me.

But, I've already expressed my opinions on this in a dedicated thread, so I won't go over old ground here.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...and then I read a few more comments down the page, and see this:

Oh wow, how little! I love watching all the baby teams! Slightly off-topic but I'm really looking forward to Joshua Tarry/Ellie O'Connell from Britain popping up next year--they're adv novice right now and I'm just chomping at the bit waiting for them to turn junior. It's so fun to watch the little ones! I mean, I know they're teenagers, but next to, say, Weaver/Poje they're so young. :)

Ah! The cover has been blown already, and I didn't even realise!

Yeah, it was Josh and Ellie that I was talking about in my last comment!

Although I know who pretty much all the figure skaters / ice dancers featured in Ice Stars are, I have deliberately not been mentioning any surnames during my posts, because that is what the BBC have been doing in the programmes themselves (Child protection, and all that). The only deviation I have made is to introduce Josh Brown's initial, so as to make it easier to differentiate him from Josh Tarry in the thread.

I can't wait to see O'Connell / Tarry turn Junior either. From what I have seen of them on "Ice Stars", and in competition, there is a LOT of promise there!

By the way, you do know that Ellie's Mum has been posting on Golden Skate over the past few weeks...

CaroLiza_fan

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finished watching first group!

I'm surprised that you think your first name is uncommon, because "Kylie" is a VERY common name over here in the UK, especially for those in their twenties. Like, I can remember at least THREE Kylies at my school (and that is just the ones I knew! There was bound to be more!)

The reason for this is that the Australian soap "Neighbours" was VERY popular in the UK in the late Eighties / early Nineties. And one of the most popular characters at that time was a young girl called "Charlene Mitchell", who was played by an actress called Kylie Minogue. You might have heard tell of her... ;)

The episode where Charlene married Scott Robinson (played by a guy called Jason Donovan - you might have heard tell of him too! ;) ) has became legendary! Even though it was broadcast over 25 years ago, it still gets talked about!

Anyway, because people liked Charlene/Kylie so much, fans started naming their children after her. Hence why the name "Kylie" is now so common amongst women in their twenties.

CaroLiza_fan

True. But I know my last name is definitely less common than my first. Which by the way I'll tell you it's "Haymaker."

And the first and last name together even rarer. Like There are a lot of "John Smiths" out there if you know what I mean. LOL. But probably only one of me. LOL.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
http://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...dBvD_I&usg=AFQjCNH2frzacAYkJr3TiVf76e9GAlVs3w

I think there is one other Kylie Haymaker.

I thought there would be only one Doris Pulaski, but I too was wrong ;)

There are, however, no other Doris Paulina Pulaski's...despite having 3 recycled names.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...behind-YOUR-name&p=15584&viewfull=1#post15584

Yeah. But I'm a better one ;)

In fact when I have kids I'll name them names I'm pretty sure are SUPER rare. Like Reyvin and Saber (And I think if you know me well enough, you'll know how I came up with Reyvin (Pronounced as "raven").

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Yeah. But I'm a better one ;)

In fact when I have kids I'll name them names I'm pretty sure are SUPER rare. Like Reyvin and Saber (And I think if you know me well enough, you'll know how I came up with Reyvin (Pronounced as "raven").

I have a Ukrainian friend named Saber. ;)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a Ukrainian friend named Saber. ;)

Bet you never heard of "Reyvin" spelled that way. I purposely invented that spelling for a reason where if you look at my profile and see what I like/who I'm fans with, you'll see why. And yes it's a variation of names of one person.

I decided Saber after watching a YouTube video.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
http://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...dBvD_I&usg=AFQjCNH2frzacAYkJr3TiVf76e9GAlVs3w

I think there is one other Kylie Haymaker.

I thought there would be only one Doris Pulaski, but I too was wrong ;)

There are, however, no other Doris Paulina Pulaski's...despite having 3 recycled names.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...behind-YOUR-name&p=15584&viewfull=1#post15584

You know, it's amazing. That thread was from 2003, and yet the website it is pointing to still exists!

Although, I'm sure it has changed vastly in the past 12 years!

No prizes for guessing what I'm going to be doing whenever I need a break from watching last Saturday's skating...

...looking up lots of names!!! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan