Dmitri Aliev | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Dmitri Aliev

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUEUdxyVQAAPOuX.jpg

:laugh:

btw its so funny that after he was often blamed for lack of mental strength during cpmps just now I saw a vid with some commentary (BESP probs) that claimed he had 'nerves of steel' :laugh:

Well, he showed nerves of steel this time :) Especially compared to his countrymen. He was pretty consistent last season too, just his injury issues this season made it hard for him to get through a FS. But I hope he's back on track now. I don't know what to expect in Korea, he's still so young and has never experienced anything like it.

Funny pic of Dima strangling Samarin :laugh:

https://pp.userapi.com/c831309/v831309356/4d643/TgYYSfxfKKA.jpg

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Nice promo video about Dima for 1tv (not geoblocked):

https://www.1tv.ru/sport/olympics/athletes/dmitriy-aliev

I missed this article when it came out, but it's very good. He is incredibly mature and thoughtful for an 18-year-old - I suppose you grow up in a hurry when you move so far away from your family at a young age. Seems like a trait many of my favorite skaters have in common.

- When did it come to realize that there was a real chance to perform in Pyeongchang?

- Five days ago, here in Moscow, at the European Championships. I now remembered the beginning of the season, a leg injury (the figure skater injured the ankle in September during training - TASS comment), the Grand Prix stage in Japan, then in Moscow, and goose bumps went. Before the trauma, I knew I could fight, I did not worry about anything, I was ready for any work. But then this story with the leg ...

As a result - the lost time, the lack of starts, and worst of all is that it began to vanish that special and very valuable feeling that comes to every athlete from start to start. Only to the December championship of Russia, when the leg was already healed, I began to understand - there is a chance to compete for a ticket to the European Championships.

That's why six days ago I did not think that I could get to the Games, and this is the case when everything is solved literally in a moment. Now I understand - everything is possible. But I'm not saying that my destiny is changing. Apparently, this is my life.

- For our national team, this Olympiad will be from the series "as a war." Do not be offended, because these will be the first Games in your life?

- It's hard to think about it. After all, why then all this - all these trainings, on which you kill yourself, all that you do? Only for the sake of the main goal, and this way needs to be passed. You know, after all, many give up, and I sometimes dropped my hands!

And in sports, and in ordinary life, it turns out - suddenly the track disappears, along which you can walk calmly and know that it will lead you to your goal. I descended from it, but came back, understanding many things. Therefore, let and "as for the war," but the Olympics is the Olympics. This is a holiday. And despite all the recent events, it will not cease to be a holiday. This is a great event in my life, and now it seems to me that my story is being written, that I write it myself, and I write correctly.

- Is it true that the demand is small for beginners?

- Maybe before the December championship of Russia something like this in my head and it was, but certainly not now. I am confident in myself. I am very glad that I have healed the trauma, I feel so much in shape that I enjoy what I do. You know, when I rolled around in an arbitrary program in Moscow, such harmony was inside ... As if something right in me is happening.

- Do you think about competitors at the Games?

- At the Olympics will have to fight with good strong rivals, but I will not think about them. I write my story and do not want to look at someone else's notebook. I do my job, prepare myself to withstand possible stresses and force majeure. And rivals - they are and always will be. But we all know who is the main rival for each of us, right? We ourselves.

Подробнее на ТАСС:
http://tass.ru/opinions/interviews/4892028

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Why am I the only one who keeps posting in this thread? Why is he still so underrated? Congratulations to Dima on an AMAZING Olympics debut!!! I can hardly believe he's in such esteemed company and I know for sure this is only the beginning of even bigger things!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I missed most of the mens event tonight but I was so pumped to see him in the top 5!! I’ve always had a soft spot for him dating back to the junior days!!

I’ll keep an eye out for a link to his performance in the SP!! Go Dima :yahoo:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was one heck of an Olympic debut for this young man! If he can stay injury free, he will definitely be a force to be reckoned with in the future. VERY impressed with his performance. Those quads were incredible! Congratulations.

Sveta

On the Ice
Already wrote in another thread how happy I am for Dima! I was secretly rooting for him but was afraid to jinx it! (those how has watched him since juniors know how nervous he can be...)
Please make it the same as in Europeans tmr!
Go go Dima! The best of luck!:cheer:

lucyagogo

On the Ice
My Dima was beautiful!!! beautiful!!! Such class, such presence. I'm so happy for him!!!
I hope everything will be just fine today and he can skate again at his best!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I always believed in his talent, but he was mostly stuck with "meh" programs which didn't enhance his talent and charisma. This season the both programs are totally spot on and he is really unleashing what he has got :agree: He definitely won my heart this season. Last night for a moment, when the camera closed in on him at the start of his program it looked like his hand was trembling, and I was like :eekn: come on Dima keep it together!!! :eekn: Oh my goodness keep it together he did, and then some!!! although he did run out of steam a bit towards the end. I would so love to see him challenging for the podium tonight, although a long shot, but never say never!!! :love:

russianskating4ever

On the Ice
So proud of Dima. So happy he skated clean.
And I did not realise he is just 18 as well! Same as Nathan Chen..
(I am not implying anything) I was just emphasising his young age.
Someone give him to TAT, or give anyone of the Russian men to TAT. I need Russia to restore their glory like the Plyushenko and the Yagudin days.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Someone give him to TAT, or give anyone of the Russian men to TAT. I need Russia to restore their glory like the Plyushenko and the Yagudin days.

Nooooo! Rukavicin is the right coach for him. 100%.

I wonder if Mishin ever regrets turning Dima down as a student. But I'm glad he did, in retrospect.