Who will make it to the JGP final? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who will make it to the JGP final?

The Finn

Record Breaker
Ekaterina BORISOVA / Dmitry SOPOT - 3 place, score 135.42. Their chance to Final is low, they need 2nd place (3+3 is lower than 2+4), it is not so probable with three stronger pairs.

We will see what happens but to me there is only one stronger pair in that event. Borisova/Sopot had a relatively bad competition in their first event but by the time of the 2nd event they have had a month to work on their programs and with a cleanish skates they can definitely beat Gubanova/Sintsov and that wouldn't even be much of a surprise. Obviously they need to skate a lot cleaner than what they did in their first event but I would say they have a decent chance to make it to the final.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Sotskova, Mihara, Aliev, Zhou, Ognesian/Bardei and Loboda/Drozd are officially in the final: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_Grand_Prix_of_Figure_Skating_Final#Junior

What makes this 'official'? This Wikipedia page could have been updated by anybody, and the footnotes they cited point to a blank ISU for the JGPF. :confused2:

I'm not questioning the logic behind someone mathematically determining these skaters will make the final, I'm just curious what you mean by 'official', and if you have anything other than Wikipedia stating this?

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
What makes this 'official'? This Wikipedia page could have been updated by anybody, and the footnotes they cited point to a blank ISU for the JGPF. :confused2:

I'm not questioning the logic behind someone mathematically determining these skaters will make the final, I'm just curious what you mean by 'official', and if you have anything other than Wikipedia stating this?

One of the various ISU or JGP accounts tweeted that Mihara and Sotskova were officially in. And I'm pretty sure winning both events makes you a lock.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
One of the various ISU or JGP accounts tweeted that Mihara and Sotskova were officially in. And I'm pretty sure winning both events makes you a lock.

Mihara didn't win either of her events.

Yes, I'm sure winning both events (like Sotskova) would definitely assure the finals, because only 3 ladies could win both their events in a 7-event JGP series.

That still doesn't answer my question, though. Many of us did this math last week... what makes this link official or newsworthy, or even credible? I already knew Maria was a lock last week when she won on Friday -- how does Wikipedia make this official, when they cite bogus/empty URLs as footnotes for these 'factoids'?

Just a question.

malif

Rinkside
Winning both events surely is enough for the final.
But taking two second places (Zhou, Mihara) only gives very good chances
for the final but secures nothing (for JGP with its 7 competition). Especially in the boys competitions where there are 7 contenders able to get a good result, for 6 final places, I would not be SO confident.

The Finn

Record Breaker

You should be questioning it because it is wrong. Although Mai will most likely make it to the final her spot is not 100 % sure until next week after Polina will win at Poland and Kaori doesn't pass Mai based on combined scores. That is because in theory all these skaters could be placed ahead of Mai: Maria, Polina, Kaori, Yuna S, Marin and Sima. So, in theory she could end up been 7th but that is highly unlikely yet possible.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
You should be questioning it because it is wrong. Although Mai will most likely make it to the final her spot is not 100 % sure until next week after Polina will win at Poland and Kaori doesn't pass Mai based on combined scores. That is because in theory all these skaters could be placed ahead of Mai: Maria, Polina, Kaori, Yuna S, Marin and Sima. So, in theory she could end up been 7th but that is highly unlikely yet possible.

Yes, that's what irks me here. Someone took it upon themselves to update Wikipedia pages without being able to cite any legitimate sources of truth, and then another person on the internet comes along and quotes that Wiki page as being a source of truth.

The Finn

Record Breaker
This has been already mentioned here in this thread but this season there is a real chance that 26 points would not be enough to make it to the final for all those who could got 26 points. However the one who would not make it would not be Mai but most likely Marin who would have the lowest combined scores of the trio of Mai, Kaori and Marin.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sotskova, Mihara, Aliev, Zhou, Ognesian/Bardei and Loboda/Drozd are officially in the final: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_Grand_Prix_of_Figure_Skating_Final#Junior

Yes, that's what irks me here. Someone took it upon themselves to update Wikipedia pages without being able to cite any legitimate sources of truth, and then another person on the internet comes along and quotes that Wiki page as being a source of truth.

Agree with sabinfire that Wikipedia itself never is an "official" source of anything -- under any circumstances.
Even if a Wikipedia entry is based on a legitimate official primary source, citing Wikipedia (instead of the primary source) as "official" is meaningless.
(Making matters worse in this particular case is that Wikipedia did not have any official source to begin with.)

Meanwhile, IN -- which is not infallible -- had reported that Mihara clinched a JGPF spot. Although I have not parsed for myself all the hypothetical outcomes for the ladies, the IN reporting does seem premature to me.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Here's one hypothetical scenario (though I wouldn't bet on it ;) ):

Maria = 30pts (already done)

Polina = 15pts now, 1st/2nd finish in POL = 28/30pts

Kaori = 13pts now, 1st finish in ESP = 28pts

Yuna S. = 15 pts now, 2nd finish in ESP = 28pts

Marin = 13pts now, 1st finish in CRO = 28pts

All these skaters would finish ahead of Mihara, at 26 pts.

Then factor in Sakhanovich and/or Proklova -- still a question mark, as Proklova is the only one scheduled for two events, and neither one has skated their first JGP yet -- but still possible to see both in the remaining 3 events, with at least one of them outscoring Mihara.

Still 3 JGP events remaining and substitutions being made, so difficult to say 100% what will actually happen.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Here's one hypothetical scenario (though I wouldn't bet on it ;) ): ...

Thx, sabinfire. Even if unlikely, any hypothetical scenario that has Mihara missing the cut means that IN jumped the gun.
I was and am on the same page with you.

And IN's unwarranted report is even more irksome than the Wikipedia chart, IMO.
As you said, any random person can add something to Wikipedia.
But one would hope that IN's accuracy would be more reliable.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thx, sabinfire. Even if unlikely, any hypothetical scenario that has Mihara missing the cut means that IN jumped the gun.

And IN's unwarranted report is even more irksome than the Wikipedia chart, IMO.
As you said, any random person can add something to Wikipedia.
But one would hope that IN's accuracy would be more reliable.

No problem, I figured we were coming from the same place. :) Just wanted to present one scenario where Mihara could be locked out of the final, even if the likelihood of that is questionable -- though not entirely unbelievable... just requires many specific instances happening in these final 3 events.

I, too, question IN's accuracy, as they still haven't corrected their mathematical error from Lavtia, claiming that Sotskova won the event by 14.5 points. :shrug:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015...kova-rallies-to-win-ladies-gold-at-jgp-latvia

Last edited:

The Finn

Record Breaker

Didn't read the link, so, don't know if they said the same thing about Zhou but if they did then they are even more wrong than in the case of Mai. That is because there are number of skaters who could be placed ahead of Zhou.

Zhou 13p+13p

Aliev 30p
Chen 15p. 3rd place in his 2nd event would place him ahead of Zhou.
Sadovsky 15p. Same as above.
Samohin 13p. 2nd place would place him ahead of Zhou if he scores a similar score than what he did in his 1st event.
Vasiljevs 13p. 2nd place would place him ahead of Zhou do if he scores 4 points more than what he did in his 1st event.
Yamamoto, Krasnozhon, Margalik 11p. Needs to win their 2nd event.
And then there are the likes of Lazukin who hasn't skated yet but who's PB is above 200 points. I Could see him beating Zhou also.

JGP Poland will be very significant event for Zhou because if the result would be like this 1. Yamamoto 2. Vasiljevs (with a score at least 208.22) 3. Sadovsky then all three would be placed ahead of him in the standings. And there would still be Chen, Samohin and Lazukin yet to come. So, Zhou has definitely not made it to the final yet.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I actually liked what Ive seen from Lazukin this year

& aw dont bing Liza into it:no: she's no Wakaba by any means

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Didn't read the link, so, don't know if they said the same thing about Zhou but if they did then they are even more wrong than in the case of Mai. ...

The IN article was published before the Men's FS at JGP Linz, so it did not say the same thing about Vincent.

But thanks for crunching the numbers that will determine his fate.

malif

Rinkside
Serafima S replaced A.Proklova in 6th event. She has now two events and returns to her
natural status of strong final candidate.