Hair Help | Golden Skate

Hair Help

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The last hair dresser I went to dyed my hair too dark!! It's supposed to be auburn - light, but now it is more of a burgundy colour. I have accidentally dyed it that colour in the past, and certainly did not want it again. Anyone else ever have this experience?

Glacierskater

On the Ice
This has been a subject of dispair for me...in fact, I posted a rather lengthy note one night on this very forum about it. If my hair is not getting highlighted with gold, brassy highlights, instead of something more natural looking, then it is getting butchered with with razor looking "texturizer" thingy. I keep going to the this high end salon hoping to get it right. What I end up with is $140.00 worth of ineptitude. You would think that I would learn, but I just keep going back. It is very hard to find someone that can do it right. This place does guarantee the work, but I spent about 5 hours there every time, so I just live with it.

Can you go back and get it corrected?

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I have terrible luck at the hairdressers. It seems that just as soon as I find one that I like and who actually listens to what I want they move away or quit working.

Several years ago I was in a hurry and needed to have my hair cut so i ran into a chain salon in the mall and was able to get right in with the assistant manager. All I wanted was just a few inches taken off the ends and my bangs trimmed to maintain my usual hairstyle (parted on the side barely shoulder length bob). I got concerned when my sister who was with me got a strange look on her face and then began giggling. This turned out to be the worst haircut of my life. Which means worse than when I was three and mother had to cut the bubblegum out of it after I decided to turn my bubble gum into a necklace to wear during my nap. And even worse than the morning of sixth grade pictures when I decioded to give myself bangs and each time I got them crooked I brought down another layer until by the time I had to leave for school my bangs started at the crown of my head. When the hairdresser from h*** spun me around to see her finished work she had cut my hair into thick layers all over. I explained to her that this was not at all what I had asked for and why in the world had she cut my hair like that? She calmly said "Well it looks 100% better than when you walked in here." i replied with if I had been happy with the way it looked when I came in I wouldn't have come in and that I now looked ridiculous and refused to leave the salon looking like I did. She then proceeded to tell me that she had cut my hair like hers and that everyone always complimented her on her hair. I am white with heavy but fine hair. The hair stylist was African American and her hair was layered all over and looked like she had removed curlers from it but had not combed it out. I pointed out that we had very different types of hair and while the style was attractive on her it was not what I wanted for myself. The manager ended up evening up my layers as best she could and needless to say when I left I was not happy.

Lad, personally I like the burgandy colors. My hair is very dark brown almost black (if I remember correctly) It has been a VERY long time since it was it's nataural color. Clairol has a line called "Torrids" that has some pretty shades of auburn through red. You can safely recolor yours yourself. I would do a strand test to make sure you get the color you want.

Remember the hair disaster mantra......."No hair is too bad that two weeks won't cure".

Last edited:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Piel:

Thanks for the tip! Your experience reminds me of some of my worst hair cuts and perms of the past. I too have very thick/course hair! Every hair dresser loves to get a hold of my hair and they all have their theories on how to cut it! I just like it thinned out and left all one length. I do not like them to layer it - which they always want to do. It just ends up standing straight up! Remember inspector Cluseau - Pink Panther? With his finger in the light socket?

It's amazing what these hair dressers do to us and get away with. This do cost me $125.00! That was cutting, colouring and purchasing some very expensive shampoo and conditioner. I washed it tonight and it is starting to lighten up a bit. I will be more careful next time! I will colour it myself!!!!!

Thanks for your story - great.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Glacierskater:

I sympathize with you! I spent $125.00 on this do. Most money I have ever spent on my hair.

Yes, one can go back and request a correction. I should have actually done that. Anyway, I washed my hair and it seems to be not quite as dark now.

Thanks!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Lad,

I had forgotten how much my highlights relax after a couple of weeks. But I must say that burgundy sounds nice. I was brunette for 3 days one time. My finacee flat told me, "Yellow on top." I did not look good with dark hair. I would like to find someone that can do decent blonde highlights though. The search goes on...

Kateri

On the Ice
Consider yourself lucky...I aimed at burgundy last month, and got hot pink!

Actually, I really liked it after the surprise wore off.

kateri (now with purple hair - on purpose, thankyou!!)

k.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Frenchie from "Grease" for patron saint of the posters here at GS.:D :eek: :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
.........and, Amy Adams from AI3 (didn't she have pink hair?) 42

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Some people at work really like my hair colour and I keep getting compliments on it. Maybe it's not as bad as I think. I just don't like it too dark. At least my hair did not turn green - as Anne of Green Gables did when she died her hair!

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
To tell all my stories would take all day. :laugh:

My mother sent us to the barber shop to get our hair cut when we were small. One time he cut it so short I walked down all the alleys to get to Gramma's as I was so embarrassed.

My hair dresser and I got to talking and she cut it way too short. Said later her heart dropped in her stomach when I left the shop.

Decided to get my hair frosted once and this hairdresser forgot I have really thin hair and ended up with completely white hair. I guess she just forgot that was all the hair I had. She tried to put some color back in it and it wouldn't take. When I walked in the door, Janet started to cry.

(I think my hair was a medium to dark brown with a little red.) Now, I can't find a color that looks right. Have to use level 2 as I get perms a lot. The hairdresser I go to now can't seem to give me a perm that works and can't seem to cut it right. I know I need to find a different hairdresser but it is a non smoking salon and probably would have to go to Wichita and still don't have any idea who would do a good job.

:laugh:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Okay, next time you all are in Omaha, I will take you to my stylist. She is awesome! And veeeery expensive, but really, isn't it worth it to know you'll come out looking great? I think so.

Laura :)