ACLU Conference in San Francisco has interesting lineup | Golden Skate

ACLU Conference in San Francisco has interesting lineup

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This sounds to me like a really interesting group of speakers, not to mention musicians, no matter your opinion on the Bill of Rights and Constitution, the only 2 real clients of the ACLU.

"As the 2004 ACLU Membership Conference draws closer, more politicians, celebrities and civil liberties experts are confirming that they’ll be with us in San Francisco from July 6 to 8. The list of these exciting new speakers include:

Governors Howard Dean of Vermont and Bill Owens of Colorado, who have agreed to debate on election issues.
Seymour Hersh, investigative journalist for The New Yorker, who broke the story of Abu Ghraib and the detainee abuses.
San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, champion of marriage for same-sex couples.
Richard Clarke, former National Security Advisor and author of “Against All Enemies.”
Arianna Huffington, provocative political commentator.
Coleen Rowley, FBI whistleblower.
Eve Ensler, author of "The Vagina Monologues."
John Sayles, filmmaker whose films include “Return of the Secaucus Seven" and “Passion Fish.“
Ina Jaffe, NPR correspondent.

Music by Steve Earle and Jefferson Starship.

This conference is the central rallying point where ACLU members come together, at one time, in one place, to celebrate our accomplishments, recommit to our ideals, and show our country that we are Americans who proudly Stand Up for Freedom.

You can pre-register for the conference through June 23 at www.aclu.org/2004memberconf

After that, you must register on-site during the conference at full registration rates. "

The Hilton San Francisco, the conference hotel, is offering guest rooms at the low rate of $109 per night if you make your hotel reservation by June 14.

Tell your friends about the conference. https://www.aclu.org/team/tell.cfm?action=94

Plan to be there. Freedom depends on you. www.aclu.org/2004memberconf

bronxgirl

Medalist
I'd be fascinated to hear those speakers, especially Sy Hersh since he broke the Iraqi prison scandal. Don't think I'll be able to get away though. :(

My donatiion to the ACLU each year is not tax deductible but I appreciate what they do and sometimes think they should do more.

This Conference should be a hoot. Maybe they will show it on C-Span.

Joe

I never thought of C-Span. Boy, I hope they show it; sounds like a great conference. I love how Arianna Huffington has gone from being the darling of the right-wing conservatives to being the darling of the Hollywood liberals, lol. Now I'd like to see John Sayles cast Arianna in one of his movies. (OT: I thought "Sunshine State" was possibly his best movie yet, though close call with "Lone Star" and "Passion Fish.") Maybe next year the conference will come east and I can indulge.

I became a card-carrying member of the ACLU when I guess Bush (Herbert Walker) said something about Michael Dukakis being a "card-carrying member of the ACLU," as if the ACLU was "the enemy." I wanted to become a card-carrying member of the ACLU ASAP.

The ACLU lawyers have done some tremendous things, IMO. When you've got an Jewish lawyer from the ACLU, for example, who had relatives who perished in the Holocaust defending a neoNazi's right to speak freely about his political views, as abhorrant as they may be, for me, it's one of the most important things about the US democracy.

I hope you're going, Doris. If so, please give us a report--and of course any good gossip.;)
Rgirl

Okay, this is naughty, but my fantasy debate would be Eve Ensler, author of "The Vagina Monologues" debating Bill Clinton (I know he's not on the list of speakers--I said fantasy) over what constitutes "having sex." Bad, Rgirl, bad, bad Rgirl.:p

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
My school district had a lawsuit leveled against us backed by the ACLU. This was about 15 years ago. We have a strictly enforced dress code, which requires boys to have hair no longer than the top of their collars. We had a young boy transfer in from a neighboring school district. He had a ponytail down past his collar. In order for his mother to register him, she had to have his ponytail cut off.

She refused at first, then cut his hair shorter and promptly got a lawyer. She lost the case, but it sure made the headlines but it was interesting to see the whole process.......42