2015 Copernicus Stars Ladies Free Skate Sep 25 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 Copernicus Stars Ladies Free Skate Sep 25

dna5019

Final Flight
I'm starting to really like Rin Nitaya. She caught my eye at her last event and now, I'm a fan. There's something very pleasing and magical about her skating. I hope she makes the podium! :cheer:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Polina's jumps are awesome. I thought she popped her first lutz because it was so huge... and I liked her performance better than in her first JGP.

If I have to put money on any of the junior Russians to survive puberty, it's on her.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I like how these juniors (now I'm talking mostly about girls from Russia) always get the amazing score (around 120-125), which could place them really high in any senior competition and they look like OK nice score I'm first...Like it does nothing with them :D

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I like how these juniors (now I'm talking mostly about girls from Russia) always get the amazing score (around 120-125), which could place them really high in any senior competition and they look like OK nice score I'm first...Like it does nothing with them :D
Well, Russian Nationals and Junior Nationals is a bloodbath for the ladies, so the most important thing for them is to be clean.
Top 7 at Russian Junior National was in the range 175-205 points(even if inflated, still amazing)

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Well, Russian Nationals and Junior Nationals is a bloodbath for the ladies, so the most important thing for them is to be clean.
Top 7 at Russian Junior National was in the range 175-205 points(even if inflated, still amazing)

Yes I know it is really tough there, I'm just saying I like how calm they are.

Anyway I think top 5 was amazing. Diana skated perfectly clean, same about Nitaya and both Russians. Kaori wasn't so perfect but after not so strong start she came back into her program. Congrats to Polina, she was amazing on all aspects.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Amazing skate by Polina, but she shouldn't be getting the same pcs as Serafima got last season (57.xx). Low 7s are too high for her, her presentation and especially performance/interpretation leave a lot to be desired, a 54 (high 6s) would be more acceptable. Her program doesn't help, very boring music/choreography/step sequence. Otherwise, she's great and probably one of the best jumpers ever in ladies figure skating.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
Hmm, I don't know. She has a lot of power and speed in her skating and her transitions are quite difficult. She's not balletic or elegant but she seemed to be engaged with the audience and her music. She seemed really into her performance today. I'm not so sure I disagree with the PCS.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Pollen's jump quality is simply amazing, the height, the distance...even a male skater would be lucky to have quality jump like that a (body) height of hers.

Lipea

Final Flight
Amazing skate by Polina, but she shouldn't be getting the same pcs as Serafima got last season (57.xx). Low 7s are too high for her, her presentation and especially performance/interpretation leave a lot to be desired, a 54 (high 6s) would be more acceptable. Her program doesn't help, very boring music/choreography/step sequence. Otherwise, she's great and probably one of the best jumpers ever in ladies figure skating.

Her presentation is fabulous. Yes, very third-rate music, and an unusual difficult theme for a junior to skate (it is tricky to show presentation in the program about chess game). But it is absolutely fantastic how she delivers it, how she shows almost every accent in music, and what was absolutely amazing is her last spin, where, in the absence of any beat, she still perfectly knew how long to hold it to finish precisely in time. The choreo is indeed full of interesting details; so really, the only complain here is the music.
She is just not the kind of person to make the audience to feel a big sympathy to; she evokes the respect, not fanatism. She is smart, her skate is thoughtfull and she has a superserious attitude to what she is doing.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Her presentation is fabulous. Yes, very third-rate music, and an unusual difficult theme for a junior to skate (it is tricky to show presentation in the program about chess game). But it is absolutely fantastic how she delivers it, how she shows almost every accent in music, and what was absolutely amazing is her last spin, where, in the absence of any beat, she still perfectly knew how long to hold it to finish precisely in time. The choreo is indeed full of interesting details; so really, the only complain here is the music.
She is just not the kind of person to make the audience to feel a big sympathy to; she evokes the respect, not fanatism. She is smart, her skate is thoughtfull and she has a superserious attitude to what she is doing.

I get it, but fabulous presentation? Is that right word to describe it? Some recent russian juniors such as Radionova, Medvedeva or Proklova showed fabulous presentation skills, but that's not Polina's case. Her strenght is clearly the technicall content.

Lipea

Final Flight
I get it, but fabulous presentation? Is that right word to describe it? Some recent russian juniors such as Radionova, Medvedeva or Proklova showed fabulous presentation skills, but that's not Polina's case. Her strenght is clearly the technicall content.

Yep, she has a fabulous presentation, on pair with Radionova, Medvedeva or Proklova. Presentation does not always has to be extrovert and does not have to be completely clear for the majority of the audience. Hers is interesting and sophisticating. She is indeed more special, imo. You would have to imagine those other girls to make THIS particular program in order to compare. It is extremely hard, since the chess is clearly not something that one can feel emotional about, and music is very generic. Still, she found a solution: she obviously has a story behind it, and despite I don't know it, I feel it and can see the characters that she portrays. In particular, watch again her face expression on last 20sec. of the program - it is so fierce, almost painful; and it gives the story a drama. When I first saw this program last year I also did not quite get why there was so much of noise about Polina among Russians, but now I totally buy it.

Also, the judges always consider PCS relative to TES. Yes, it is not really supposed to be that way, but it is always that way. I can't remember a case when the TES would be more than 13 points higher than PCS, and in Polina's case it is almost 12 points of the difference as much as at Serafima's Slovenia LP. Plus Polina's transitions are just insane, and it gives her a boost on all other PCS aspects.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Agreed. And I actually like the music.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Yep, she has a fabulous presentation, on pair with Radionova, Medvedeva or Proklova. Presentation does not always has to be extrovert and does not have to be completely clear for the majority of the audience. Hers is interesting and sophisticating. She is indeed more special, imo. You would have to imagine those other girls to make THIS particular program in order to compare. It is extremely hard, since the chess is clearly not something that one can feel emotional about, and music is very generic. Still, she found a solution: she obviously has a story behind it, and despite I don't know it, I feel it and can see the characters that she portrays. In particular, watch again her face expression on last 20sec. of the program - it is so fierce, almost painful; and it gives the story a drama. When I first saw this program last year I also did not quite get why there was so much of noise about Polina among Russians, but now I totally buy it.

Very well said! I found her style very elegant and polished and actually much prefer it to the dramatic styles of Radionova and Medvedeva. And frankly speaking, I feel those two can't hold a candle to her technically... the wild landings of Radionova's jumps and the truly ugly entry to Medvedeva's flutz, anyone?

Perhaps I haven't looked closely enough (and I'm definitely just a layman spectator) but I'd love to know others' opinions on Tsurskaya's jumping technique. Are there obvious flaws in her jumps?

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Tsurskaya occasionally gets calls on her flip. Other than that her jumps are fabulous especially lutz. I cannot agree that Gracie has a better luts than Polina - I am not sure anyone ever had. As for the music, I don't understand why people call it third-rate. It is classics. The Abba guys that composed "Chess" are imo one of the best pop music composers of all times.

On the other hand, it is clear that opinions about Medvedeva's new program and Zhenya herself are polarized. My view is that her LP is a masterpiece and Polina has a long way to go to be at the same level in interpretation and wow factor overall. At the same time she is working on that: I liked her better here than during Bratislava. If it were not for the unnecessary fall on the flip (I guess, she overdid the edge to not be called) she would have easily cleared 190 hurdle having likely 193-194 (67-68 + 126) - an amazing result for a junior. Let's see what Sima has to offer. I understand that psychologically it would be quite hard for her if she had stayed with Eteri.

gotoschool

Medalist

I agree with this comment, especially in comparison to Evgenia who I consider to be better in presentation, artistry, emotion and overall impact. Polina does have nice jumps, but I actually think Evgenia's jumps are more beautiful though not as big.

Last edited: