2015 Mordovian Ornament General Chat15-18 Oct , Saransk, Russia | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 Mordovian Ornament General Chat15-18 Oct , Saransk, Russia

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree. They toured & committed to the season late so they were playing catchup. As I said, programs & performance are the most important. No argument there.

Alba

Record Breaker
Hubbell & Donahue aren't assigned to Finlandia (though it would be a more interesting match-up). Hawayek & Baker are the U.S. team there. IMO, the real competition is at Ondrej Nepela, where I&Z were originally scheduled to compete before they withdrew. Hubbell & Donahue were originally listed for Ondrej Nepela--along with the Shibs, Gilles & Poirier, and Coomes & Buckland; but H&D aren't on the list anymore. Apparently they weren't ever listed there on the U.S. assignment site so I'm not sure if they withdrew or should have been listed as substitutes from the start.

Sorry, my mistake. I saw their names (H&D USA) but they're as subs. I&Z didn't withdraw from Nepala either. I don't know why their names were put there (I would've been glad to see them there tbh) but they never had plans about Nepala.

I have a lot of respect for teams that go out and face high-level competition early in the season. I also think it's smart to get out there and get real feedback on your programs before a GP debut. Just don't think doing it internally is wise for a federation with two teams gunning for the same high rankings. If I was B&S, I wouldn't want to go up against the Shibs as Russia's number 2 and likewise for I&Z facing C&L in China. No matter how temporary that number two position. I'm not saying it wouldn't be insurmountable. The programs and performance are always more significant. But this is dance. All things not being equal, it helps to be your country's number one.

It could help one of these two teams to hold those bragging rights early in the season. But I don't see it helping the strength of the larger Russian team in general. (Just as I don't see that it helped USFSA last season. They had Chock & Bates designated #1 right off the bat; and when C&B had problems at the GPF--where both teams should have met, the Shibs seemed to have no chance of outscoring them. Even though C&B had a fall and the Shibs outscored everyone else in the short throughout the season). These are two teams who finished back to back at the Olympics the season before so I think the comparison is a reasonable one for B&S and I&Z. Why not send both teams out into the field & see where they land? And--as I said--make the judges work.

Shibs though had difficulties with levels up to Nationals. They got some level 2 during the entire mid-season and that didn't help either. You know how it is, get high levels and PCS goes higher regardless. I do understand your point though and I agree. I do understand the choice from these couples point of view but I don't get the FED's strategy.

p.s. Oups sorry, I just saw that chameleon made the point about the Shibs.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
No problem. That original list for Nepela was too good to be true. It's still deep, even with the removal of three of the teams that were on it.

The Shibs did have higher levels in the short at Four Continents than Chock & Bates. Didn't place above them. (The Shibs and I&Z both had higher levels in the short than P&C at Worlds, and neither team placed above P&C there).

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
The Shibs did have higher levels in the short at Four Continents than Chock & Bates. Didn't place above them. (The Shibs and I&Z both had higher levels in the short than P&C at Worlds, and neither team placed above P&C there).

Yeah, I know. I would've placed both couples Shibs and I&Z above P&C in the short myself.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I might have as well. The free dance has always had more weight in the final standings than the short, which is fine. But it always drives me nuts when a strong short is overlooked because another team has a stronger free (and when a weakness in a short is ignored because a team has a strong free). I know many people disagreed, but I felt Worlds in 2014 was one of the best judged dance competitions because the short programs were truly scored according to the level of performance & quality. I am glad, though, to see changes in rankings between the short & the free programs in many of the competitions since the Olympics.

Alba

Record Breaker
I might have as well. The free dance has always had more weight in the final standings than the short, which is fine. But it always drives me nuts when a strong short is overlooked because another team has a stronger free (and when a weakness in a short is ignored because a team has a strong free). I know many people disagreed, but I felt Worlds in 2014 was one of the best judged dance competitions because the short programs were truly scored according to the level of performance & quality.

Agreed!:thumbsup:

I am glad, though, to see changes in rankings between the short & the free programs in many of the competitions since the Olympics.

Yep. We might enjoy it as long as it lasts. ;)

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
Ladies Entries in order of Personal Best

1. Adelina SOTNIKOVA RUS 224.59
2. Anna POGORILAYA RUS 197.50
3. Maria ARTEMIEVA RUS 177.21
4. Dasa GRM SLO 150.32
5. Anastasia GALUSTYAN ARM 148.63
6. Katarina KULGEYKO ISR 139.50
7. Deimante KIZALAITE LTU 125.38
8. Aiza MAMBEKOVA KAZ 104.11
9. Fruzsina MEDGYESI HUN 99.45

Diana PERVUSHKINA RUS is the only substitute.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Only 9 ladies (single):scratch: competing there?
In Graz they are 35 on the list ... :party2:

Probably a little easier to travel to Graz for most people outside of Russia...and you'd have to be very brave (or have little to lose) to volunteer to challenge Russian ladies on their home turf, I think.

Country
Russia
Probably a little easier to travel to Graz for most people outside of Russia...and you'd have to be very brave (or have little to lose) to volunteer to challenge Russian ladies on their home turf, I think.
Only a little easier - there will be charter flight from Moscow to Saransk before and from Saransk to Moscow after competitions.

Three Russian Ladies in Saransk or two and Nagasu in Graz - it makes no difference for mid-level European Ladies.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
Only a little easier - there will be charter flight from Moscow to Saransk before and from Saransk to Moscow after competitions.

Three Russian Ladies in Saransk or two and Nagasu in Graz - it makes no difference for mid-level European Ladies.

Wow a charter flight before/after the competition ... really? :yes: ... organisation :rock: .
Usually a long train ride (by the way I :love:to travel with Russian night trains) would do the job.

Last edited:
Country
Russia
Wow a charter flight before/after the competition ... really? :yes: ... organisation :rock: .
Yes. Info from announcement.
Usually a long train ride (by the way I :love:to travel with Russian night trains) would do the job.
Yes. Train from Moscow (9:34 PM) to Saransk (7:05 AM). One night. From Saransk to Moscow - about the same times.

Charter directly from/to Sheremetievo airport may be more convenient for foreign skaters ad officials.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Any word on what her diagnosis is?

I have been looking but nothing seems to say yet- I have found a few articles out there in Russian but they all just say what the article posted above does, that she is in the hospital so they can't compete. I will let you know if I do see anything else and am sure others will do the same :shrug: