Skate America Television Coverage | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate America Television Coverage

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
My hunch (only a hunch) is that NBC's live coverage will be the second/final group of the Ladies FS -- continuously and in entirety, more or less.
(Perhaps with tape [highlights or otherwise] of any U.S. lady who does not make the final group??)

Part of my reasoning is that IN is streaming only the first group of the Ladies FS.

Isn't that standard practice for IN to cut off streaming while NBC is broadcasting, regardless if it's all live or not?

IIRC back in January during U.S. Nationals, IN cut off their livestream as soon as the NBC broadcast began... but NBC did not go straight to live coverage, and an entire group of skaters was blacked-out until IN put up the full stream on-demand, which took about a week or two I think?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Isn't that standard practice for IN to cut off streaming while NBC is broadcasting, regardless if it's all live or not?

IIRC back in January during U.S. Nationals, IN cut off their livestream as soon as the NBC broadcast began... but NBC did not go straight to live coverage, and an entire group of skaters was blacked-out until IN put up the full stream on-demand, which took about a week or two I think?

Happy to defer to you, sabinfire :). Your memory is definitely better :yes: than mine regarding this stuff.

Did not mean to lead anyone astray.
I do remember that some Pairs programs were "missing" b/c of the IN/NBC dichotomy.
Although it does not stick in my mind that the Ladies coverage had the same problem, my memory is not reliable.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Happy to defer to you, sabinfire :). Your memory is definitely better :yes: than mine regarding this stuff.

Did not mean to lead anyone astray.
I do remember that some Pairs programs were "missing" b/c of the IN/NBC dichotomy.
Although it does not stick in my mind that the Ladies coverage had the same problem, my memory is not reliable.

Had to jog my memory, Ladies coverage DID that have problem:

http://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?53904-2015-US-Nationals-Senior-Ladies-FS-Jan-24/page11

Mena719:
Ice network isn't showing group 2 either

badknees:
I just don''t get why NBC is showing what we already saw yesterday and not what is happening live right now!!! GGrr!

sabinfire:
Groups 2 and 3 are probably a no-show until IceNetwork has them on-demand a few days from now.

yyyskate:
so how can we watch group 2 or even group 3, now that NBC is not show, and IN is on demand, what will almighty sabinfire do?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Do I recall correctly that for previous Denis Ten comps, streaming via Kazakhstan has worked well for some GS members?

In any case, someone has tweeted Kazakhstan-based streaming links. Disclaimer: I do not know whether they will work. But I'm posting today's tweet here in case anyone would like to give the links a try.

Thanks for the link. FWIW the Kazakhstan stream during 4CCs was very good and very smooth, i for one am happy to see it is an option this year.

As for NBC... my guess is the first half will be replays, combined with Johnny and Tara yammering and NBC painting what ever story they want to tell for the broadcast followed by some live coverage at the end. I think they did that last year... replayed the "relevant" SPs then went live.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thx :) for going back to the old thread re Ladies missing from Nats coverage. Good detective work :cool:.

Apologies if my post above was overly optimistic.

I suspect the IN livestream and NBC broadcast will not compete with each other, even at the expense of blacking-out live skating for Americans. (I don't know this for sure, but would make sense based on what we've seen.)

As for NBC... my guess is the first half will be replays, combined with Johnny and Tara yammering and NBC painting what ever story they want to tell for the broadcast followed by some live coverage at the end. I think they did that last year... replayed the "relevant" SPs then went live.

That would be my guess, too. It would be strange to see NBC cut directly into a solid hour of continuous live coverage of the Ladies FS, without showing any fluff/highlights from Men, Pairs, Dance, or even the Ladies SP from the previous day.

Also, the Saturday broadcast is the only hour NBC is devoting to Skate America (the rest would be on a cable network).

If you live in America, I would look to the ISU stream over IN on Saturday, as you may have your live coverage interrupted again between the hand-off from IN to NBC.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I suspect the IN livestream and NBC broadcast will not compete with each other, even at the expense of blacking-out live skating for Americans. (I don't know this for sure, but would make sense based on what we've seen.)

Yes, I am (and all along have been) in agreement that IN streaming of the first group will conclude before the NBC live broadcast begins.

The NBC broadcast begins at 5 pm ET.
The Ladies FS begins at 4 pm ET. It should take 56:30 for warm-up of first group + free skates of the six ladies in the first group, according to the schedule for last year's Skate America (if my arithmetic is correct).

BTW:

With the understanding/caveat that USFS press releases are known to have lapses in precision, a quote from today's USFS release:

**The ladies free skate (second group) will not be shown live on icenetwork but rather will be broadcast live on NBC.
http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=51517&type=media (Oct 20)​

I hasten to add that I am not/not/not contradicting your well-documented point not to expect the second group in entirety on NBC. (Thus my preface that we know that imprecision is nothing new for USFS press releases.)​

ETA:

I should have made note of this quote too, re IN:
*On-demand video for all events will be available after the end of each day, with the exception of the ladies free skate. That will be available on-demand Tuesday, Oct. 28.

If anyone is wondering, the NBC troops for Skate America are Gannon, Lipinski, Weir, Wilson, Joyce.
The IN troops for Skate America are Mancuso, Kwiatkowski, Bradley, Belbin.​

If you live in America, I would look to the ISU stream over IN on Saturday, as you may have your live coverage interrupted again between the hand-off from IN to NBC.

Note: IMO, it is unlikely that the ISU itself will offer streaming of Skate America. (Although it did stream last season's Rostelecom, NHK, and TEB.)

A recent tweet from @ISU_Figure (formerly known as @ISU_Reporter) seemed to indicate no GP streaming from the ISU.

ETA (on Oct 23):

Turns out that I was wrong. The ISU Eurovision channel WILL offer *geoblocked* live streaming of Skate America (and Skate Canada).

Thx to CL_fan and zebobes for giving us the scoop on pages 6 and 7 of this thread.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Yes, I am (and all along have been) in agreement that IN streaming of the first group will conclude before the NBC live broadcast begins.

The NBC broadcast begins at 5 pm ET.
The Ladies FS begins at 4 pm ET. It should take 56:30 for warm-up of first group + free skates of the six ladies in the first group, according to the schedule for last year's Skate America (if my arithmetic is correct).

Sure, though my point is one cannot conclude that NBC will show continuous live footage simply because IN ceases their livestream in favor of the television broadcast. As we saw earlier this year, NBC has aired tape-delayed footage instead of current live action, missing entire groups of skaters.

Note: IMO, it is unlikely that the ISU itself will offer streaming of Skate America. (Although it did stream last season's Rostelecom, NHK, and TEB.)

A recent tweet from @ISU_Figure (formerly known as @ISU_Reporter) seemed to indicate no GP streaming from the ISU.

Thanks for that heads-up -- I haven't kept up with streaming info since I won't be home to watch Skate America. ;)

If that ends up being the case, this could wind up just like Nats from earlier this year: anything that NBC doesn't choose to cover live may be missing for days (or longer) for anyone who wanted to see it.

Luckily in this case, bootleg streams or recordings from other countries with better SkAm coverage than the USA is at least an option.

Best case scenario after IN is shut off, we still have to listen to Johnny & Tara commentary in between frequent commercial breaks that cut off most of the slo-mo replays and K&C scenes (and sometimes even the live scores themselves).

(I'm not saying that commentary and commercials shouldn't be expected on NBC, just that it's frustrating there might not be a complete livestream available for this event, even for IN subscribers.)

But... I'll be in Milwaukee this weekend, so you won't hear me complaining about it then. :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sure, though my point is one cannot conclude that NBC will show continuous live footage simply because IN ceases their livestream in favor of the television broadcast. As we saw earlier this year, NBC has aired tape-delayed footage instead of current live action, missing entire groups of skaters. ...

sabinfire, I beg you to please, please, please take YES for an answer.

I explicitly said in my post immediately above that I was not/not/not contradicting your point. (For some reason, you chose not to quote that portion of my post.)

And in response to your quotes in an earlier post from the 2014 thread, I already apologized for being overly optimistic (in my earlier posts) re how much of the second group NBC would show live this year.

.... If that ends up being the case, this could wind up just like Nats from earlier this year: anything that NBC doesn't choose to cover live may be missing for days (or longer) for anyone who wanted to see it. ...

But... I'll be in Milwaukee this weekend, so you won't hear me complaining about it then. :biggrin:

Maybe you haven't seen the editing that I had done to my post above??
I had gone back more than once to add more stuff.

Anyway, I quoted USFS above that the on-demand video of the Ladies FS will not be available until "Tuesday, Oct. 28" -- although looking at a calendar, I see now that Oct. 28 is Wed, LOL. (As I said, USFS is no stranger to imprecision.)

Have a great time in Milwaukee :).

[If I watch the NBC hour (as I prob. will), I will come back to this thread and briefly summarize who/what was shown ... so we will have a record for posterity :).]

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
sabinfire, I beg you to please, please, please take YES for an answer.

I explicitly said in my post immediately above that I was not/not/not contradicting your point. (For some reason, you chose not to quote that portion of my post.)

I quoted your entire paragraph up to the black line-break you inserted, before you began a new thought regarding a USFS press release. I was trying to avoid quoting your entire post. But now that I go back and look at it, your original post looks completely different than when I initially hit 'reply' to it. :eek:

Maybe you haven't seen the editing that I had done to my post above??
I had gone back more than once to add more stuff.

Probably not, I'm usually not hitting refresh enough times to notice multiple edits to a post after the fact, especially if the message is already more than a few sentences long, I may not notice small changes unless I'm specifically looking for them.

But now that you mention it, I checked your latest post above for edits, and it looks like you made a change 10 minutes after you posted... but I'm not sure what was changed? :confused2:

Have a great time in Milwaukee :).

Thanks! :)

[If I watch the NBC hour (as I prob. will), I will come back to this thread and briefly summarize who/what was shown ... so we will have a record for posterity :).]

That would be helpful. I should have a recording of the broadcast(s) when I get home, but most likely won't be until Monday or later.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In case anyone was wondering, Johnny and Tara WILL be commentating SA this weekend. Johnny is part of Nancy Kerrigan's Halloween on Ice tour, but he is not performing this coming weekend, even though the shows will be in the midwest. I am assuming his contract w/NBC precludes any show appearances.

http://halloweenonice.com/schedule-tickets/

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... But now that I go back and look at it, your original post looks completely different than when I initially hit 'reply' to it. :eek:

Probably not, I'm usually not hitting refresh enough times to notice multiple edits to a post after the fact, especially if the message is already more than a few sentences long, I may not notice small changes unless I'm specifically looking for them.

But now that you mention it, I checked your latest post above for edits, and it looks like you made a change 10 minutes after you posted... but I'm not sure what was changed? :confused2: ...

I have been in your shoes when replying to posts that others are in the process of editing/updating, so I understand what you are saying.

OTOH, posting multiple short messages one after the other to change/add things doesn't seem like a better alternative, IMO.
(I also sometimes have a problem with my computer having a mind of its own :eek: and submitting posts prematurely even though I have not clicked on the "Submit" button :no:. I will be in the middle of writing a post and nowhere near ready to submit it, but the computer somehow goes ahead and does submit it :bang:.)

Happy to say that the ten-minutes-later edit that I made is shown in the quoted text within your post, so you did not miss anything in that case.

ETA, sorry, here is another edit:
Thx to TGS re the Russian streaming.
In case it has unforeseen problems, a tweet re streaming via Kazakhstan is in one of my earlier posts.
Stitch (in the US) said the Kaz streaming worked well for Four Continents.​

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Well, it’s that time of year again when I start posting Eurosport TV Schedules.

Unfortunately, there is an U-17 World Cup on in Chile at the moment and, as always, football takes priority. Consequently, there is NO LIVE coverage of Skate America. :disapp:

No SD coverage on British Eurosport? That would be too bad :( I like their commentary.

I was cruising the TV listing for Eurosport today, found something interesting.

What is this?

http://imgur.com/E30R7JJ

According to that, Eurosport will have live coverage for all disciplines of Skate America, both shorts and free, including the SD?? :confused:

The time-slots even match up to the events...

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
That's Eurosport player. Hhhhhmmmmm. It's their streaming service, I think you need a subscription for it. How.... interesting!
Yup, subscription per month. But still... very interesting!

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
That's Eurosport player. Hhhhhmmmmm. It's their streaming service, I think you need a subscription for it. How.... interesting!
Yup, subscription per month. But still... very interesting!

They don't officially allow subscriptions outside of the UK, but use Paypal for billing and a VPN to connect, they are none the wiser.

That's how I captured a stream like this one from Yuzuru: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFHnwnH5YpY