Kaori Sakamoto | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Kaori Sakamoto

Liasky

Rinkside
Congrats to Kaori! She was so great last night. I really love her Amelie program. Also like her SP Moonlight Sonata too. 214 in ISU Championships is really high. I hope she will do even better than this in the Olympics. Sadly she won't go to WC. But we'll se her at the Coupe du Printemps in March.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Congrats to Kaori! She was so great last night. I really love her Amelie program. Also like her SP Moonlight Sonata too. 214 in ISU Championships is really high. I hope she will do even better than this in the Olympics. Sadly she won't go to WC.

I wouldn't count it out just yet. I think Miyahara is more injured than she is letting on. She will definitely gut it out through the Olympics, but I can see her giving the WC a pass this year.

Liasky

Rinkside
I wouldn't count it out just yet. I think Miyahara is more injured than she is letting on. She will definitely gut it out through the Olympics, but I can see her giving the WC a pass this year.

I also would love to see Miyahara in WC. But otherwise, it will be the window of opportunity opening for Kaori.

kptnciam

Rinkside
Hi! Just passing by to write my appreciation post to Kaori. Together with Rika Hongo, they are the only japanese that I enjoy, so I’m super happy she won 4CC! Good luck in PC! [emoji1]

I hope she’s luckier than Rika and they score her as it should be! You don’t need to be a “princess” to have great skating skills and artistry. Again, I think she’s different, and that’s her greatness! And her jumps are good too!

Although I also think she got a score too low in the SP. Hope it was just a “bad day” from the judges...

Liasky

Rinkside
She also had perfect jumps and great choreography. Can't wait to see her getting on a podium in Pyeongchang.

thoakun

Final Flight
I wasn't her fan and didn't care for her programs at the beginning of this season, but words can't describe how much I love her freedom in skating and her spirit. I feel particularly empowered after watching her Amelie program. I've seen some ridiculous comments towards her, but that often comes with success :cool14:. People want her to do well, but not better than their favorites :roll5:.

She is like a skilled craftsman who has absolute confidence, focus and belief in what she does. I hope the increased media attention doesn't throw her off, but it's easy to see why the media loves her. She is a breath of fresh air in stark contrast to the image of worn out salarymen lining the subway every day. You don't need to be a princess to be loved or sell your soul to succeed, be grumpy to do your job. Great role model.

Windpowerasmagic

Spectator
It is great to witness Kaori's great performance in the rink side Friday night. I was in tears! I just wished I could treat her tons of 小籠包 that she wished to have after the competition in Taipei XD
I really like a female figure skater like Kaori who goes beyond the traditional femininity. Kaori's muscular strength, frankness to express emotion, and naughtiness truly enriches the field of female figure staking.

- - - Updated - - -

And so moving to see that Kaori handed the tissue paper to the tearful Satoko. Wish the two teammates could positively support each other to give their best performances in the olympic competition.
https://www.asahi.com/articles/photo/AS20180126005699.html

Alifyre

On the Ice
I was browsing the Olympic Wishes thread and was pleasantly surprised that many people were putting Kaori in their lineup for ideal medal placements! I guess her popularity is really taking off (although it would be hard to guess as much by reading some of the comments from the 4CC threads :slink:). I think Windpowerasmagic is right that Kaori is bringing something different to the sport with her unconventional presentation and strength, and not fitting into traditional skating femininity. She's different, but even more than that she's confident, she's consistent, and she's committed to her programs. Her love of skating really shines through every time she steps on the ice, and her enthusiasm is infectious.

I hope she can continue to shine this bright into the Olympics, and maybe even bring home a medal! I have a feeling there will be many more newly minted Kaori fans before the season is out.

Liasky

Rinkside
I was browsing the Olympic Wishes thread and was pleasantly surprised that many people were putting Kaori in their lineup for ideal medal placements! I guess her popularity is really taking off (although it would be hard to guess as much by reading some of the comments from the 4CC threads :slink:). I think Windpowerasmagic is right that Kaori is bringing something different to the sport with her unconventional presentation and strength, and not fitting into traditional skating femininity. She's different, but even more than that she's confident, she's consistent, and she's committed to her programs. Her love of skating really shines through every time she steps on the ice, and her enthusiasm is infectious.

I hope she can continue to shine this bright into the Olympics, and maybe even bring home a medal! I have a feeling there will be many more newly minted Kaori fans before the season is out.

I wish she will get a bronze after Medvedeva and Zagitova. (Can't deny that no one can beat these two)

Azikin

Medalist
I wish she will get a bronze after Medvedeva and Zagitova. (Can't deny that no one can beat these two)

Yeah, battle for the bronze medal should be interesting (and Kaori is probably my favourite to root for), gold and silver are pretty much given if nothing unexpected happens...

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
She is like a skilled craftsman who has absolute confidence, focus and belief in what she does.

I like her, but this characterisation is just wrong. She was shown dripping tears of frustration at a practice session just two days before 4CC, and admits to feeling the pressure and self doubts right before a big event.

That she has learned to overcome these fears when the music starts makes her, I think, a stronger person than if she went out there with the absolute confidence that she could do no wrong.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Kaori is leaving for PyeongChang with other Team Japan members, also Coach Nakano. Good luck, Kaori!

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180204-00000007-jijp-spo.view-000
https://www.jiji.com/jc/p?id=20180204125414-0026109152

(Photos shared by pair skater Kihara:
https://twitter.com/ryuichi_kihara/status/959973778368348160)

Arrival:
https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASL2435FQL24UTQP00K.html
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180204-00000094-dal-spo

In the 2nd news above, Kaori was asked about her foot problem during 4CC. She said she's already had that taken care of so it's not bothering her now.