Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's midnight in my time zone, so...

Many happy returns of the day to my princeling!!! :hb:

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
Happy 18th birthday to a supremely talented young man! May the year ahead be filled with nothing but joy and happy surprises. :hap10: So hard to believe he’s now a legal adult. Part of me will always see him as that precocious little 13-year-old who captured my heart with his elegant, expressive skating and innate musicality. In celebration of this special day, here is the performance that made me a forever fan: 2012 ISU JGP Lake Placid Junior Men Free

And just to highlight how far he’s come since then, here’s his SP from this year’s Junior Worlds: 2017 Junior World Figure Skating Championships – SP

Just curious, has anyone heard what music he’s using for his FP this season?

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Another way to see how Roman's skating has blossomed over the past few years is to directly compare the 2014 and 2017 editions of his "Bring Him Home" performances. That gifted boy has grown into one of the most breathtaking artists that I've ever seen on the ice. :love:

2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Zm5Q5D5dI

2017: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5m7e6x

I normally don't pay attention to what's going on in the junior ranks, so the first time I had watched him compete was during CBC's coverage of the 2014 Junior Worlds (which I believe was the first time he was aired on national television). Because he had kept the same LP for the following season, I had noticed that I enjoyed "Les Misérables" a lot more at the 2015 Nationals, and my gut feeling knew at the moment that I was going to fall madly in love with his skating once he was closer to adulthood. And my instinct was spot-on! :yay: It didn't matter to me that he had messed up two of his jumping passes in his SP at this year's Nationals; that otherworldly prince had weaved his magic on me and fulfilled the prophecy. ;)

"Trying to fit in with these world class skaters." https://www.instagram.com/p/BU0eDbjDEhq/

loretta007

Rinkside
So Roman is gonna change both of the sp and fs:drama: I actually was hoping he'd keep Muse but it's good to see him trying new stuff

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Btw, if anyone wants a non-muted version of his "Stairway to Heaven" exhibition, it's here:

In celebration of this special day, here is the performance that made me a forever fan: 2012 ISU JGP Lake Placid Junior Men Free

It really is astonishing that he was already a captivating performer at the age of 13---I don't even like "The Man in the Iron Mask" soundtrack (is Roman a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio?), yet I'm completely absorbed by his interpretation of it. :clap: He also won his first JGP medal at that competition in his first season as a junior; very impressive! :rock:

So Roman is gonna change both of the sp and fs:drama: I actually was hoping he'd keep Muse but it's good to see him trying new stuff

I too was hoping that we'd get to see "Exogenesis" for one more season, and he usually sticks to a program for two years, so I'm not exactly sure why he's breaking his regular pattern in this case. I can only guess that perhaps he feels that he can do something even better for the SP.

Last edited:

loretta007

Rinkside
And I supposed the choreo for "Exogenesis" must have been quite expensive too :rofl: I'm guessing he is going for a more dramatic SP next season?

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As you guys can see, I've changed my avatar to something more princely. 😘

And I supposed the choreo for "Exogenesis" must have been quite expensive too :rofl:

Any idea who his choreographer is for this upcoming season? Perhaps s/he offered a 2-for-1 deal, and Roman decided that he might as well take advantage of the discount. :p Or he's just really sick and tired of listening to Muse, although if that's the case, I wish he got bored of Romeo & Juliet earlier.

I had a dream where he announced that the reason why he dumped "Exogenesis" was because he's planning to move up to the senior ranks, and he needed more sophisticated programs to better reflect what he's capable of presentation-wise. Considering that his jumps are still shaky, I very much doubt that the scenario conjured by my subconscious mind has any bearing in the real world.

I'm guessing he is going for a more dramatic SP next season?

Maybe something more character-driven?

Last edited:

loretta007

Rinkside
As you guys can see, I've changed my avatar to something more princely. :luv17:

Any idea who his choreographer is for this upcoming season? Perhaps s/he offered a 2-for-1 deal, and Roman decided that he might as well take advantage of the discount. :p Or he's just really sick and tired of listening to Muse, although if that's the case, I wish he got bored of Romeo & Juliet earlier.

I had a dream where he announced that the reason why he dumped "Exogenesis" was because he's planning to move up to the senior ranks, and he needed more sophisticated programs to better reflect what he's capable of presentation-wise. Considering that his jumps are still shaky, I very much doubt that the scenario conjured by my subconscious mind has any bearing in the real world.

Maybe something more character-driven?

Same LOL if he ditched R+J last season then at least we could have a LP choreographed by David(which would be awesome). I've heard that it was Roman's idea to skate to the 'Exogenesis' so I'm kinda surprised he ditched that after a season. But it's good considering that will be a lot of 'Exogenesis' program in the coming season:drama:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Same LOL if he ditched R+J last season then at least we could have a LP choreographed by David(which would be awesome).

That hypothetical non-R&J LP would've been divine. :bow:

I've heard that it was Roman's idea to skate to the 'Exogenesis' so I'm kinda surprised he ditched that after a season.

And it was such a perfect song for him to skate to. :love: We'll just have to cross our fingers that whatever he or his choreographer chose for the new SP will also suit him.

But it's good considering that will be a lot of 'Exogenesis' program in the coming season:drama:

True, but if he were concerned about his program being lost in the shuffle because others are using the same piece of music, then he should've gotten rid of R&J last year because there were at least 3 skaters (Han Yan, Koshiro Shimada---whom Roman competed against at this year's Jr. Worlds---and Marin Honda) who also performed to that bland soundtrack for their LP.

ETA: Yauhenii Puzanau also had R&J for his free skate, and he also competed against Roman at the JGP Tallinn.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if Nam was telling the truth or not, but I've been told that he apparently said in an Instagram livestream a couple of weeks ago that Roman wouldn't receive any JGP assignments because he has moved up to the senior ranks. Is there anyone who can confirm what Nam said?