Vincent Zhou | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou

yyyskate

Record Breaker
3, I have already hinted this on twitter:biggrin:.
Game of throne's House Targaryen Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6EDrPC3oeA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krSiWsT97fI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9IUMOuS--w
keyword: "Dragon", "vinny vidi vici", "big music"
when I hear this, I see flying, soaring. the charm and fatal attraction:biggrin: of figure skating.
also, house Targaryen is one of the ancient noble old house in Game of Throne (the past). yet I felt youth and liberation from the music which reminds me of Vincent (the somewhat unpredictable :biggrin: youngster with an old soul) .

ETA, for the sake of continuity, before Vincent is the "hidden dragon". now the dragon has awoken.:biggrin:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
also, on twitter, I mentioned hope Vincent this seasons's program can have a hint of orchid (兰) (could be hidden somewhere :biggrin: leave fans to discover), because last season's free costume reminds me of plum flower (梅).:biggrin:
Okay kidding.:biggrin:

These random suggestions are intended to give Vincent some kinda input/seed, hopefully can inspire some great ideas (not necessarily restricted for this season)

My only hope is that, Vincent try new things every season.

If I get inspired, I will continue post music ideas on twitter or here.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
depends on original music, some times editing is very difficult to make a piece suitable for figure skating.
My most trusted choreographer who is especially great at music composition and editing (actually the best in my mind) is David Wilson and team.

If Vincent goes to Shae;), it is also a very good choice:luv17::love:.

I miss Vincent:sad21:

eta, classic, baroque (Lori) :bullett: fire, Ladin, theatric, cinematic (Shae)
;):biggrin:

ETA, Uncle Tom Dickson is also very handsome. :biggrin:

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Stars on Ice shot a "Compliment the Cast" video at the beginning of the tour that included Vincent. Each member got to compliment the one they picked.

Vincent picked Maia, while Meryl spoke about him.
https://twitter.com/starsonice/status/1129836155388801026

Meryl on Vincent:
Vincent is so determined! I've really had the opportunity to speak with him (thru) the course of the last year. Just to see his evolution not just on the ice but as a person, to grow & continue his development is so incredible & awesome. Amazing Vincent, so cool to watch!

Vincent on Maia: I really think she did an incredible job of creating a name in social media. The way she and her brother manage & create a positive social media presence for the public to follow. It is quite inspiring.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't be too concerned on the gum! :laugh: Skaters are like all the rest of us, they make mistakes. That wasn't exactly a good look, but I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson...Could be worse, could be like my favorite who was skating in an ice show and realized his zipper on his pants was open!! :laugh2: But it did provide some great moments of that "Oh no!!!!!" look on his face and his desperate attempts to zip up as he did a spin. Besides, he invented the "zipspin" now!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh my goodness. Just when you think what could possibly be more embarrassing than falling down on your behind under the bright lights with millions watching... heh. No more gum for Vincent.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Vincent having some fun with the wacky crowd, shared by Young You on her IG Story:
https://www.instagram.com/stories/youngeyou/

When coaches are not here Friday:
Having fun with the fabulous Tom Dickson, Camden & Young in matching pink tops, and a serious looking Vincent in black.

Glad to see Vincent enjoying himself with his training mates & the cool Mr. Dickson! :biggrin:

Camden, please share some of your happy drink with Vincent! :laugh: Love them all! :luv17:

Zenchio63

Final Flight
World Arena Ice Hall Skating also shared a clip on their IG:

It’s Friday, there are no coaches around and the competitive season is over. Time to have a little fun! @govincentzhou @campulk@youngeyou
That's the best way to welcome the Memorial Day weekend! :laugh:

Keep on having fun and wishing everyone a Happy Memorial Day!

Zenchio63

Final Flight
I wouldn't be too concerned on the gum! :laugh: Skaters are like all the rest of us, they make mistakes. That wasn't exactly a good look, but I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson...

Oh my goodness. Just when you think what could possibly be more embarrassing than falling down on your behind under the bright lights with millions watching... heh. No more gum for Vincent.

Actually, Vincent does associate chewing gum to crashing on the ice, as seen in the meme he pinned back in Sep 2017: :eek: :laugh:

Back then I didn't realize it, but the shock and aftermath of the fall would be 100% worth the memes I'd make of it 😩👌

Zenchio63

Final Flight
From J Sports_Figure: https://twitter.com/jsports_figure/status/1131872631349661696

Special interview with Vincent
https://news.jsports.co.jp/skate/article/20190310216748/

Vincent Zhou, who won third place at the World Figure Skating Championships Men's Single, which was held in March of this year. An interview with the skater who is attracting attention as one of the 2022 Olympic gold medal strong candidates. Close to the true face of unknown Vincent.

A: The combination of 4Lutz+3T at the beginning of the World Championship Free Skate this year was a great jump, but was there any pressure?

It may have looked like I jumped with confidence because the first jump was a success. The first jump in the program is very important, it determines all the tones of the program. If the elements are great, the audience will be left with a strong impression of the program. A 4Lz+3T is an element that can take 20 points, so if you make a mistake you will lose it. The opening jump will hopefully look more like a perfect program. The 4Lutz+3T is the highest scoring element, but it is also a very difficult jump for me. However, since I have jumped different types of quad jumps so far, there is no need to think that only 4 Lutz is the most difficult. Since any quad jump is just as difficult.

A: You have jumped 3 types of quads, but do you remember when you jumped a quad for the first time?

In fact, I was able to do the quadruple Salchow before the Triple Axel. It is easier for Salchow to work on four rotations than toe loops. When I jumped for the quad Salchow for the first time, it became a birthday present for my mother. It was a very special day for me. After that, I worked on Quad Lutz, and Quad flip, after jumping Quad Lutz, I started to jump in about 3 days. Landing each Quad jump was easier than I thought, but jumping it in a program is also a different process.

Flashback clip from Coach TomZ's IG: an excited 14 year old Vincent doing his first quad Salchow (dated July 22, 2015)

A: You mentioned your mother's story, could you introduce your family?

My parents were born and raised in Beijing. They went to a university / graduate school in the US and worked as IT engineers in the bay area of ​​California. It is an area with many Power Elites that embodies the American Dream. In a competitive society every day, especially as Asians, parents have great expectations for their children to be successful. Before going to a university to learn, I have a dream of becoming a world champion at the Olympics. My grandparents are still living in Beijing, and I am very pleased with the Winter Olympics, which will be held in Beijing in 2022, so I hope I can make my dream come true.

A: How did you start figure skating?

When I was 5 years old, I was taken to a local skating rink at my friend's birthday party. That's where I started to take group lessons. Besides figure skating, I experienced various sports after school time. Soccer, swimming, basketball, tennis, and even a piano. The piano is not a sport (laughs). But I chose figure skating. Figure skating has become so special to my life that my early morning practices don't bother me.

A: Your parents are IT engineers, but are you interested in programming and computers?

I prefer reading books and writing poetry, rather than learning programming at a technology school. I'm uploading that poem in Instagram. If you look at the instagram you will see my personality, so please check it out (laughs). I think writing poems is an extension of the art that also leads to skating in a great way to express emotions.

A: Do you have any hobbies other than reading and writing?

I like nature very much. I enjoy spending time in nature. I am practicing at Colorado Springs now, where there is the Rocky Mountains and there are plenty of great places to hike around. I prefer places surrounded by nature rather than crowded places in a large city.

A: Returning to figure skating, at the Pyeongchang Olympic Games, you performed four quad jumps of four types and became the skater who succeeded in the first quadruple Lutz in the Olympic history. What was it like then?

At the Pyeongchang Olympic Games, only Boyang Jin and Nathan Chen could make Quad Lutz jumps. Prior to that, Brandon Muroz had been successful, so I was the fourth quadruple Lutz success in the history of figure skating, the youngest skater among them. It was the first time in the history of the Olympic Games, and I felt very cool. I felt like I could be one of the top skaters of the world someday.

A: Lastly, please tell us your future goals.

At the World Championships, I was in the final free group, and I was almost at the top. However, it will be very difficult to become an Olympic champion from now on. In order to meet the expectations of the people around us, we need to take more time to mature the artistry as well as the quad jump. The first time I skated in Pyeongchang, I was not able to complete my skating. I want to aim for a World championship while competing at a high level with other skaters on the next quad cycle.

J-Sports is also offering a chance to win a signed mug from Vincent at https://www.jsports.co.jp/present/

I tried a few different online translators and made the best with some of the corrections/edits. Very happy to see Vincent getting the introduction and recognition in Japan. Hopefully after both of the ice shows, he will gain even more Japanese & International fans.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
ISU Figure Skating IGS posted Vincent's fist "air" pounding triumphant moment for its TGIF pick
https://www.instagram.com/stories/isufigureskating/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/ISU_Figure/status/1134453903850921989 #FridayFun

Oh, nice.

TBH, I don't like the style of music & vocals of Mumford & Sons at all. I wish they can use a cover version since an instrumental wouldn't work as the lyrics are really meaningful. It is a bit of a surprise that someone who loves Joji would choose this song. At least nobody can accuse Vincent of using a warhorse or doing the same type of routines. As long as he feels a connection to the music and Shae-Lynn's choreography, that's what ultimately counts. Looking forward to seeing Shae-Lynn's magic bring out a different, more expressive side of Vincent's skating. My guess is he will work with Lori for the FS this time, since they had such a superb collaboration for "Exogenesis". Probably a more lyrical music to balance out the SP choice?

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
That’s what I thought, it was not one of the songs everyone keeps using. I will wait to see the program. I think it’s cool he will have his grandparents in Beijing watching the competition. Not to jinx or anything.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I don't remember any skater used bluegrass music before. it seems does NOT fit figure skating.
but it is a cheerful and dancy music, that fans wanted Vincent to skate to this season:biggrin:
I personally do not like bluegrass/folk/country that much, it is one of the dancy music genre that do not click with me:biggrin: but this has been established, I mean different music taste from Vincent's.:biggrin:
but I am excited, it is absolutely something NEW :love: And obviously is outside the comfort zone for Vincent (actually maybe others as well). But I can see Uncle Kurt Browning to pull it off.
Also, a SP is 2:10s, which is shorter than this song, I am also excited how Shae will edit the music.
This music also reminds me of Wakababy's eccentric choice of Sp Energia choreoed by Shae.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDF9RTxJLFc

yyyskate

Record Breaker
@Zenchio63 "It is a bit of a surprise that someone who loves Joji would choose this song."
if you went thru Vincent's relaxing music list:eek:, you wouldn't be surprised, :biggrin: Actually, Vincent enjoy a ballad (according to Joji:biggrin:) like SDITD is kinda a surprise to me initially.:biggrin: