Vincent Zhou | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou

kimganos

On the Ice
Aww I haven’t had the chance to watch anything today but I did see the results. Oh Vincent my guy, I wish you nothing but the best for the future and I’m mighty proud and happy with what’s he’s achieved this season:clapper: His message on instagram was also gracious reflective beautiful.

Vincent could have a second career as a writer! Such a well spoken young man! Impressed!

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Fool said:
NOT that I would EVER claim to be good at predictions from juniors, but I actually watched this back then and thought Alina and Vincent were future champions (I have thought this about others too mind you and been dead wrong as we've basically never heard from some again) and I also fell in love with both of them during the exhibition, more than during the competition. Fast forward a year and they've both come so far, I might cry.

lyrichord said:
First Alina, now Vincent, two bad days for two of my favorites. First world championships not that easy for anyone, especially after a long Olympic season. The door was so wide open for Vincent to grab a medal, it just didn’t happen. He is such an ambitious person though, I’m sure he will use this as motivation for next season.

Sigh! Still going through emotional withdrawal and heartbreak. I was hoping Vincent would pull a Wakaba but he pulled an Alina instead! What a disaster for both. Poor babies! Sure, you could say Alina at least have the Oly Gold but it could be even harder for her to end on such a bad note. They are both stars in my book and there is no doubt they will both learn from this experience and come back with a vengeance next Worlds. Not sure about the Eteri camp and how much support Alina will get. Hope she stays strong and retain her status among the Russian camp.

I don’t think I will be able to re-watch Vincent’s skate for a long time (still haven’t seen Nathan’s disastrous SPs from OG). It breaks my heart thinking about it. I hope poor Vincent gets as much TLC support and hugs from everyone. He is going to be so hard on himself. Please don’t beat yourself up!
With that said, there is no doubt that this experience will make him a better and stronger competitor. It’s easier to come back as the underdog and strive for redemption than to win too soon. Didn’t Shoma cry after placing 7th at the 2016 Worlds? Look where he is now. It must be so hard competing with Yuzuru always being the top dog but he has been such a little trooper. I imagine it will be the same scenario between Vincent and Nathan in the years to come. I am sure the rivalry with Nathan is great motivation, but they need to put a hamper on the number of quads and focus on the PCS in the new season. I do realize he needed to attack and rack up as much TES as possible in the Olympic year, since he doesn’t have the luxury of time nor the experience and polish of the veterans to work up his PCS.

From Ice Network article: Jeffrey Buttle, who choreographed Zhou's free skate to "Come What May," thinks the skater will naturally grow as a performer. "It's an ambitious thing for him to do [five quads] at such an early age, but I can see the advantages for going for that kind of tech content now," Buttle said. "He will only mature and get a better understanding of what he needs in between the elements, and from this point on, he can only get better at performing."

Now that the season is over, and with the possible upcoming changes in ISU judging system, Vincent’s team need to focus on building up his SS, hire a dancing coach (not necessarily ballet) to help him be more expressive with his body movements and have a more fluid carriage. Without the PCS, one less quad could cost him the podium whereas someone like Shoma and Kolyada can still pull it off. Other artistic, expressive young skaters such as Cha Jun Hwan and Dima are going to be strong competitors in the PCS category, and even Deniss Vasiljevs can deliver a great program without a quad.

Now that Nathan has pulled off his 6 quads at both the OG and Worlds, that may push Vincent even harder to give it a go before it's too late.
From Ice Network article:
If that does not come to pass, Zhou thinks he may attempt six quads in a free skate as soon as the middle of next season. It's a feat, he said, he has accomplished in practice. "I wouldn't push myself to do six right away," he said. "For choreography next season, we're looking to have more intricate programs, which will make the quads harder to do. ... I hope to have a more solid, consistent season than I had (in 2017-18), and that will come with experience."

Sending Vincent best wishes for an emotional and physical recovery and for exciting new programs for the next season. Stay healthy and free from injury. Be strong and positive and don't ever forget you are a gift and blessing to your fans.

JulieC18

Rinkside
I'm sure Vincent will continue to improve, and be able to challenge for the top spots in the future.
Just hope he doesnt overdo it with trying to put in too many quads.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Haven't finished reading all the updates on this FF.
but somehow, wakababy is the inspiration of both Vincent and Nathan.
This is super cute and amusing to me.:biggrin: I guess that is what a performance of ages will do to you:luv17:

but seriously, I hope Vincent can have some fun time with Wakababy and Nathan at the rest of this comp e.g. banquet. Vincent really needs to let it loose for a bit. Vincent worked non-stop all season, he really deserves some relaxation.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
but seriously, I hope Vincent can have some fun time with Wakababy and Nathan at the rest of this comp e.g. banquet. Vincent really needs to let it loose for a bit. Vincent worked non-stop all season, he really deserves some relaxation.

Jackie Wong recommends the same: https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/977552532770877444

Also, to all skaters, please rest, take multiple vacations, spoil yourselves with your favorite things. We all want you to be happy and healthy when the new season rolls around. Thank you. #WorldFigure #Milano2018

Zenchio63

Final Flight
I tried to stay away from Twitter during the competition because of all the virtue-signaling haters. Didn't realize Vincent hurt his back, as mentioned in his Instagram message and here:

Vincent: "I have had this back pain before I came here. I could do well in the short because we have a great medical team. I won't use it as an excuse, but I wish I had rest a little bit more yesterday."

Maybe that is why he acted so stiff and awkward during the SP press conference. Poor thing.

Found a tweet by Miki Ando about Vincent's performance: (rough translation by Microsoft)

Vincent Player was not able to demonstrate the ability very much this time, but the figure to challenge four revolutions in Blah was straight! The performance that I saw at the Olympics is his appearance! When I was young, I had this kind of experience!

She responded to Vincent's sad face with:

You are such an amazing skater!!! We are so excited to see your performance again like Olympics. good rest and enjoy your time in Milan

Pictures from the FS

Never give up, Vincent, and always wear your heart on your sleeve! XOXO

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
Vincent could have a second career as a writer! Such a well spoken young man! Impressed!

Agreed, this kid can be anything he wants including a writer! I'm dumfounded that a 17 year old is this articulate and well spoken (for example if I compare to me at that age lololosob).

Zenchio63

Final Flight
JulieC18 said:
I'm sure Vincent will continue to improve, and be able to challenge for the top spots in the future.
Just hope he doesnt overdo it with trying to put in too many quads.

Couldn't agree with you more. Sounds like he is very mindful about placing his health as the top priority, but when you are an ambitious 17 year old, it may be hard to hold back and not give it a go at doing as many quads as he can. Vincent is a really smart kid with a good head on his shoulders, so if the multiple quads result in inconsistent jumps and low PCS, I'm sure his team will adjust the program to balance it out.

Just for fun, I found some Kiss and Cry screenshots and came up with imaginary dialogue to illustrate the point above.

In the Kiss & Cry after the disastrous LP

pics 3

TomZ: So Vincent, are you still going to attempt a 6 quad program next season?
Tammy: Vinnie boy, be honest now!
Vincent squeezing his stuffed animal.

pic 4

Vincent: I…I…I am young, I am only 17, but I am ambitious and I will not back down from any challenge!
Tammy: Yes, we know, but you need to stay healthy and safe and not get burned out.

It's funny how he looks so much older on the ice, but goes back to being a teen in the K&C. It still tickles me when I see comments such as "if you told me Vincent Zhou was anywhere from 13 to 38 years old, I would believe you."

I know a lot of people are sick and tired of Moulin Rouge, but the program really brought out his maturity and artistic side, as opposed to the SP. Let's hope they work on a more upbeat and dynamic piece for him next season. I enjoyed his "Writings on the Wall" performance much more than "Chasing Cars", which feels too lightweight and juniorish.

Good bye, Moulin Rouge!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I was so very sorry for his freeskate at Worlds! I wonder if he has considered the fact that he is having way too many people in his team? Just thinking of the old saying of having too many cooks in a soup, LOL. Maybe he would just need one really good coach and an excellent choreographer?

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I was so very sorry for his freeskate at Worlds! I wonder if he has considered the fact that he is having way too many people in his team? Just thinking of the old saying of having too many cooks in a soup, LOL. Maybe he would just need one really good coach and an excellent choreographer?

Yeah I have wondered why he has so many coaches? I think one good coach would make more sense.

lyrichord

Rinkside
Not sure Tom Z. is the best coach for Vincent going forward, people say he is good with jumps but bad with skating skills, and Vincent’s skating skills are where he’s losing the most points, not only in PCS but also on tech, since going faster would allow him to power all the way around on the quads consistently instead of getting URs. Wish Orser was an option but he doesn’t seem to want to coach Americans for bureaucratic reasons. I wonder if he could consult with Jason Brown’s (former?) team sometime, he has great PCS skills but not the jumps, and Vincent already has the jumps. :shrug: Whatever the case, hope he is able to take a long rest and heal up after this grueling season and carefully evaluate what the best steps are for the future.

Geez I just peeked into Han Yan’s thread and they are saying China wants to “buy” Vincent to represent them, but I can’t imagine he ever would do such a thing. It’s flattering to be wanted though, I guess.:unsure:

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Not sure Tom Z. is the best coach for Vincent going forward, people say he is good with jumps but bad with skating skills, and Vincent’s skating skills are where he’s losing the most points, not only in PCS but also on tech, since going faster would allow him to power all the way around on the quads consistently instead of getting URs. Wish Orser was an option but he doesn’t seem to want to coach Americans for bureaucratic reasons. I wonder if he could consult with Jason Brown’s (former?) team sometime, he has great PCS skills but not the jumps, and Vincent already has the jumps. :shrug: Whatever the case, hope he is able to take a long rest and heal up after this grueling season and carefully evaluate what the best steps are for the future.

Geez I just peeked into Han Yan’s thread and they are saying China wants to “buy” Vincent to represent them, but I can’t imagine he ever would do such a thing. It’s flattering to be wanted though, I guess.:unsureRe:

I saw that too and already thought of Vincent as soon as someone mentioned about China wanting to buy American talents like Ting in a much earlier post. Vincent would never sell his integrity for money and fame! There is no way he would give up his US citizenship! I would personally fly to China and hold a protest in Tianamen Square if they dare to lay their grubby hands on our Vincent! :devil: Vincent is American and belongs to Team USA!!!!!! Back off, you greedy Chinese Fed!

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I don't know if it's only a rumor or what - but it doesn't matter - I can't imagine Vincent allowing himself to be "bought" and turning his back on the US.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I don't see what advantage there is for Vincent to switch to China at this point. The time to nab him would have been a few years ago while he was still under the radar. Now that his talent is widely recognized there will be more doors opened for him by staying with the US.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Yes, at this point, it's all hearsay. But knowing the mindset and goal of the Chinese Fed, it is highly plausible. Athletes that skate for other countries do so if they have no backing/support from their own country, such as Bruno Massot, or they want to maximize the possibility of becoming a national champion and get to represent the new country at Worlds and Olympics. Vincent has already established himself as an Olympic athlete on his own merit, with a definite possibility of getting on the podium in Beijing. China wants to "poach" Vincent now because he has already proven himself worthy. They don't want to recruit a relatively unknown skater and have to train him/her. The US Fed better show more recognition and appreciation of Vincent now.

In case anyone hasn't seen this:

GIF of Vincent dancing with the rest of the Olympic FS team

The same goofy boy doing his beautiful spread Eagle

Correction: Gif is from the 2017 Champs Camp, original video here

yyyskate

Record Breaker
the rumor has been clarified, it is just a rumor.
words from Vincent's official Chinese fanclub, who has direct contact with Vincent's family.
Vincent has never been approached from any Chinese party regarding the buy-off issue.

Xen

Rinkside
I'm kind of amused by this rumor, because citizenship rules in China are really strict. I don't think he'd pass.

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
I'm glad it was just a rumour, not that I think he would've considered that even if it was an option. If the Chinese fed can't treat a gem like Yan Han right, I don't want them to get their hands on Vincent.

livetoskate

On the Ice
You are very welcome! Found some more nice pics from those marvelous Japanese fans, from the Kiss & Cry cute moments to Vincent's fist pump and waving after getting off the ice. The translations are really funny, too:
https://twitter.com/yrn_tknk/status/976862869160693766
https://twitter.com/yrn_tknk/status/976861900540661761

I remember seeing somewhere that Misha had to buy lunch for Jackie since he couldn't afford it, not sure if it's true or not. He is a treasure for the figure skating fans. Some people don't realize how valuable his reports and tweets/pictures are, but he knows he is appreciated. In case anyone hasn't checked out the latest episode (#67) of Ice Talk with Jackie, before he left for Milan - He spoke with Ben Agosto about the men's competition. BTW, Vincent sounds like a baby in the group of intros, LOL

Short snippet of Vincent's thoughts on his successful SP via ISU channel:
https://youtu.be/wAswCBO0Ry0

Come on, Vincent, I know you are trying to be :cool: but act a little more excited! Channel your inner Wakaba! :p

I watched the press conference and know that he was probably tired, excited, overwhelmed but trying to remain centered and act composed, etc., but I wish both him and Nathan would sound a little more upbeat and positive instead of being so serious. That's one thing I like about Kolyada, he always has that little wry smile on his face. I know, I know, both of them were tired of the stupid questions. Nathan about his Olympic experience and Vincent about him being ONLY 17. Not to mention the still ongoing pressure to perform well in the FS. But still, hope they will learn from Jason or even Max on how to put on a "friendler" vibe in the future. I don't expect them to be like Yuzu and Shoma, but it would be nice if people are not getting the vibe that they are indifferent to each other, as someone commented in the press conference video.

Before the press conference, everybody wanted a picture with the boys:
https://twitter.com/nwcgold2018/status/976860069370515459

I think the report was that Misha got food/lunch for Jackie, because Jackie was so busy reporting. I doubt it was b/c Jackie couldn't afford lunch-- he's a highly paid consultant with a Wharton MBA, who lives in NYC and is able to pay for trips to international skating competitions, as an uber fan-blogger turned reporter. :)