Deniss Vasiljevs | Page 65 | Golden Skate

Deniss Vasiljevs

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Serafima posted a lovely pic with Deniss thanking him for the pleasant company in the audience today :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeLzFwyFapu/

I'm not sure if this was a fan meeting or maybe an autograph signing?

Deniss & Chris

https://twitter.com/birdastronaut/status/954705096973176833

Deniss & Sondre Oddvoll Boe

https://twitter.com/birdastronaut/status/954704743611486208

I saw on FB fanclub there was going to be a meeting for Russian fans before the free dance, so yep, another fan meeting. And another boatload of presents to take home by the looks of it :laugh:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hear, hear! I have always said that I don’t care if my favs can challenge for a medal; I care if they can love skating, and make me feel that they love skating. And Deniss does.

My first love was the late great Toller Cranston.:luv17: I love skaters who follow in Toller’s skates. Deniss is one of those skaters. I don’t care if he ever “gets” a quad (other than I want Deniss to be happy) and I don’t care about his score (other than again I want him to be happy).

But I am more than happy about fourth at Europeans! And such great skates. Bravo, Deniss!:yahoo:

OK, El. I'm hooked.

This is a very credible result, and I really like the way he moves on the ice.

I must say you've introduced me to something great with Deniss.

Of course, you also got me to follow junior men, and I still don't know whether to love you or hate you for that. :laugh:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I saw on FB fanclub there was going to be a meeting for Russian fans before the free dance, so yep, another fan meeting. And another boatload of presents to take home by the looks of it :laugh:

So Sondre is an official member of the Deniss fanclub? :laugh: Excellent taste if so!

icetug

Medalist
Deniss talking about the EC and his improvement.

And Stephane unveiling a title of the Japanese interview (another great photo btw).

And a short quotation from the larger feature on EC:

Vasiljevs' music was a precious ally for him as well.
"It's true, I feel a little bit better with smooth and lyrical music when I have to control my body," he explained. "I also enjoy completely wild music, but with such music, I have more time to focus and concentrate on my jumps."

And it seems that Reut took some awesome photos as usually, I can't wait to see them (and the interview she announced earlier).

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
After everyone wrote such detailed and thoughtful comments, I decided to take a few days and get mine in order. First of all I am so overjoyed for Deniss. It is great for him going forward. And without a quad it just shows the power of his skating and his performance. 15 men at Euros tried quads and he bested all but 3 of them.
I was quite annoyed when I read he had not lived up to his potential - phooey, it took till 20 for Kolyada to get a 4T, Fernandez was 8th at Euros at the same age and didn't podium till he was 21, and Deniss constantly been improving his PBs all season but he's the one with wasted potential. Ah well, they underestimate him now, just as they did in the short and look what happened:devil:

Congratulations to all Deniss’ fans!

There are really some very positive things to mark and celebrate.

1 He has a better result than a year ago.

2 The 4th place is certainly a very good place.

3 He is the 4th without a quad!!

4 He tried the quad and it is appreciable!! From his own words we can get that he was not sure about it but he did and was not so nervous anymore as he was at Rostelecom. He is more self confident.

5 At last he has cracking 3A!

Still it hurts a bit but it is understandable. The 4th position to all athletes has always got its special bitter “taste”- it is so close to the third! And as he was already the third, it’s clear we wanted him to be there again.

Anyway, I’m a bit confused. I looked through Judges details per SP and found that one of them (Ulla Faig) has given for all components the basic mark 7, while the others have given even a full score higher. I realize that this evaluation will always differ and it’s natural, but not to such an extent. Why the others were so impressed but not her?

Maybe I’m not right as it’s only my subjective point but Deniss could be the third. I fully agree about Havier and Aliev, They were the best. I agree that Koyada is a very good skater but he also had mistakes. But Deniss has something Koyada hasn’t got- he has this special attraction. When he is skating, you can’t take your eyes off! The speed, the step sequences, spins and skating skills are amazing! To my mind, this time Mikhail was overrated (at least the difference was too big), there was no personality and brilliance in his performance.

I’m very happy about Deniss! Now we have to wait for the Olympics.

Honestly, Kolyada fell on every quad he tried! In that case, how is he any better than those who are trying quads for the first time? And when he makes mistakes, he phones it in and just suffers till the end. That is a huge difference between him and Deniss, because even when things are going wrong left and right Deniss fights back and he keeps the program going. Especially now he has the confidence to rearrange elements when things do go wrong, like with the 3Lz-1/2lo-3S, that was so gutsy.
And the special attraction with Deniss, that can't really be put into words; it's so unique that every time I try I come up short. It's more than star quality or charm, he has both and yet it is more than that. I found this post from a spectator on the night.

"Всего не перечислишь, но, пожалуй, самым ярким впечатлением за вечер оказалось выступление Дениса. Я сидела в боковом секторе, так что во всей красоте лицезрела момент, когда он в своей программе так резко буквально "наскакивает" на зрителей, меня просто захлестнуло какой-то бешеной волной и будто прокатался электрический разряд по всему телу! Это было что-то невероятное, неописуемое! Такие воспоминания останутся на всю жизнь... "
"You can not enumerate everything, but, perhaps, the most vivid impression for the evening was the appearance of Denis. I was sitting in the side sector, so that in all its beauty I saw the moment when, in my program, it literally "jumps" at the audience so literally, I was simply overwhelmed by a furious wave, and it seemed as if an electric discharge swept the whole body! It was something incredible, indescribable! Such memories will last a lifetime ..."

There might be some mistakes, because it's Google Translate, but I think that is the same feeling I felt when I saw Deniss for the first time, almost exactly a year ago now. It's the spark, the shock, the chills we all feel. It makes me excited that we can all feel it, be it live or through a screen. And for me, it is totally unique, I never felt it anywhere else. When he skates that way at the Olympics he will capture everyone's hearts. Next season, I think it would be exciting if he tried skating something dark and powerful, and turned this electricity into a perfect storm.

If I watched figure skating only because I wanted to know who got which medals, I would have given up long ago. The reason I've stayed a fan for so long is because I care about the actual skating that is presented. Others may watch for different reasons, but for me, I want to see good skating. So yes, the judging matters in that I hope Deniss is as successful as possible, but whatever scores and placements the judges give him, I will still be watching and appreciating his skating. I know everyone in this Fan Fest will as well; I just thought I'd share the viewpoint I have come to over time. It seems to be a less common view, given how heated debates over rules and scores and results can get in the general threads. (Hint, hint, that's why I hang out/post mostly in the Fan Fests, where there is a more positive atmosphere). No one can take away how we feel when we watch Deniss (and any other skater we appreciate), and that feeling is what is most precious to me.

BACK TO CELEBRATING!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer2: :hap10: Congrats on a great Euros, Deniss!!! :biggrin: All the 3As were GORGEOUS -- take them to Pyeongchang, please! ;)

Hear, hear! I have always said that I don’t care if my favs can challenge for a medal; I care if they can love skating, and make me feel that they love skating. And Deniss does.

My first love was the late great Toller Cranston.:luv17: I love skaters who follow in Toller’s skates. Deniss is one of those skaters. I don’t care if he ever “gets” a quad (other than I want Deniss to be happy) and I don’t care about his score (other than again I want him to be happy).

But I am more than happy about fourth at Europeans! And such great skates. Bravo, Deniss!:yahoo:

I think this is perfect way to be when watching figure skating :) there is so much injustice in scores and places that sometimes it's worth it to step back and admire what skaters can do without worrying about medals. There are so many skaters with plenty of medals that are hardly remembered now. Deniss will not be among them. He will be remembered for a long time when his career finishes, no matter how it pans out, because he brings us so much joy and beauty.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Great post, lavenderblossom! :clap:

Every skater is on their own path...they have different physiques, different circumstances, different challenges. Not everyone is going to master 4 or 5 quads by 18. And nobody knows if those skaters who did are still going to be around 5 years from now. Or even 2 years. I know some people are worried that he will be like Jason Brown, but there are many skaters who got the quad rather late...Bychenko is another one. I would not even say it is too late for Jason (if he would spend a lot of time with a top jump coach, asap). Deniss is still a teenager, he has enough time to get everything. And of course, he has no competition in his country, so lack of a quad will never keep him away from the big competitions.

Javier is a good comparison, because he's made it to 26 without any serious injuries and they are both small country skaters who had to leave their countries to train. Javi has refused to go totally quad crazy and it's a very smart strategy. His skating is well balanced, he took his time to develop and look at him now. I definitely would rather see Deniss have a career like Javi than what some of the younger guys are trying now.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, El. I'm hooked.

This is a very credible result, and I really like the way he moves on the ice.

I must say you've introduced me to something great with Deniss.

Of course, you also got me to follow junior men, and I still don't know whether to love you or hate you for that. :laugh:

So glad to hear it, Tonto! I don't think you will regret it, there is something special about Deniss, and yes, it shows in the way he moves on the ice.:agree:

As for the junior men, well, some days I'm not sure either, but I stick with 'em cause they're just so darn interesting:laugh: I don't want to derail Deniss' thread with *that* conversation, however....;)

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
If I watched figure skating only because I wanted to know who got which medals, I would have given up long ago. The reason I've stayed a fan for so long is because I care about the actual skating that is presented. Others may watch for different reasons, but for me, I want to see good skating. So yes, the judging matters in that I hope Deniss is as successful as possible, but whatever scores and placements the judges give him, I will still be watching and appreciating his skating. I know everyone in this Fan Fest will as well; I just thought I'd share the viewpoint I have come to over time. It seems to be a less common view, given how heated debates over rules and scores and results can get in the general threads. (Hint, hint, that's why I hang out/post mostly in the Fan Fests, where there is a more positive atmosphere). No one can take away how we feel when we watch Deniss (and any other skater we appreciate), and that feeling is what is most precious to me.

BACK TO CELEBRATING!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer2: :hap10: Congrats on a great Euros, Deniss!!! :biggrin: All the 3As were GORGEOUS -- take them to Pyeongchang, please! ;)

THIS. I share every bit of sentiment you expressed here. Can you believe nowadays the last group in a major international competition has become a bit of an anti-climax for me? (well OF COURSE NOT at Euros 2018!) As it happened to me in Dance competitions where my top favs have always been shoved aside (except P&C, may I add) for years, Also in Mens competitions I learned not to put too much significance over the placing/medals any more, and to focus solely on the best personal performance of my boys. I am not sure how/if the scoring system will be modified following this season, but I do hope that such grossly exaggerated importance cast over quads will be toned down, and the sport will turn their focus on refined skating more in the future, where Deniss and a few other truly outstanding skaters will be given a chance to shine and earn recognitions as they deserve!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
By the way... Attention anyone who is planning a trip to Milan for 2018 Worlds!!!
A few of us in the Deniss supporting group on FB started talking about organizing a Meet and Greet there. The idea has been just hatched, still a very early stage and the whole planning and organization are still on its way, but we would like to know who are interested in attending! Please step up and let me know if you are!
We will keep those who are interested posted as we proceed on the planning! :cheer::hap10::peace:

Janimi

Spectator
From : http://absoluteskating.proboards.com/thread/4392/st-phane-choreographer-coach?page=43

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:52pm pianomaya said:
Stéphane was a guest today for swiss tv (RTS2) at European Championship.
He spoke during the program of Laurine Lecavelier and 6 minutes warm up of the last group.
I uploaded voice data. Enjoy who can understand it! (French)

www.mediafire.com/file/t39943dczg25hp1/Stéphane_at_EC_2018_RTS2.mp3

Read more: http://absoluteskating.proboards.com/thread/4392/st-phane-choreographer-coach?page=43#ixzz54uy7CWgm
In the beginning Stéphane is asked how he felt after all the emotions connected with Deniss' 4th place the day before.

Stéphane: "I'm feeling pretty well. It has been a glorious competition for Deniss. We didn't expect the 3rd place after SP at all. And, of course, going into the FS having to defend a medal always means much tension and pressure. He had an a bit lighter program then the two Russians. So, as consequence he had almost no chance to keep his 3rd place if the Russians skated well.
But, that's what I told him, it's not for the medal he needed to go, but simply for his performance; maintain the good image, the image of an exceptional skater with a lot, a lot of energy, with a complex choreography. And, a fourth place is awesome. It's really an important moment in his career."

Moderator: It's a huge progression he made compared to the results of the last years.
Stéphane: It's a huge progress. And we are in an olympic year. Quite some skaters might retire after the games. This opens the doors for next year. With good work and a good planning, I don't see how he could fail to get better results in the coming years.

Moderator: So, long term planning with Deniss. Means you will inevitably have to work on the quad?
Stéphane: "Of course, we have been concentrating on the quad since the beginning of our collaboration. There's a big evolution despite the unsuccessful attempt during the FS. There are clearly very, very good attempts during practices. And this is positive. One or two quads are needed if he wants to get on the European podium. And it's even another story for the World championships".

Stéphane when asked about his emotions, coming back to Moscow as coach, 12 years after having won his 1st world title here: The work of a skater is completely different from the one of a coach. As coach at the birds you absorb much of the pression, and you try to put the skater into a positive environment so he can express himself the utmost. That was actually my task. I do remember very well what it feels like to have this pressure and to want to give it all. To want to show everything to the crowd here in Moscow. What I want to say is: he really did a very good job as a skater.
So, i hope to be able to come back to Moscow with him and then... yes... to live moments like I had back in 2005, in the other ice rink. It was not this one, the 'Lushniki' (?). In the metro today I've seen the 'Sportifnaya' (?) ... it brought me back good memories (laughter ...)

(continues ... and will be corrected later :) )

Read more: http://absoluteskating.proboards.com/thread/4392/st-phane-choreographer-coach?page=43#ixzz54uyd0PtY

AgnesR

On the Ice
A

Thank you for your great posts, Lavenderblossom!!:2thumbs:

"You can not enumerate everything, but, perhaps, the most vivid impression for the evening was the appearance of Denis. I was sitting in the side sector, so that in all its beauty I saw the moment when, in my program, it literally "jumps" at the audience so literally, I was simply overwhelmed by a furious wave, and it seemed as if an electric discharge swept the whole body! It was something incredible, indescribable! Such memories will last a lifetime ..."

There might be some mistakes, because it's Google Translate, but I think that is the same feeling I felt when I saw Deniss for the first time, almost exactly a year ago now. It's the spark, the shock, the chills we all feel. It makes me excited that we can all feel it, be it live or through a screen. And for me, it is totally unique, I never felt it anywhere else. When he skates that way at the Olympics he will capture everyone's hearts. Next season, I think it would be exciting if he tried skating something dark and powerful, and turned this electricity into a perfect storm.
And the special attraction with Deniss, that can't really be put into words; it's so unique that every time I try I come up short. It's more than star quality or charm, he has both and yet it is more than that.

There are so many skaters with plenty of medals that are hardly remembered now. Deniss will not be among them. He will be remembered for a long time when his career finishes, no matter how it pans out, because he brings us so much joy and beauty.

The quote you have translated and your own reflection brought to my mind similar feelings at Latvian champs in December.

It was just during warming-up before SP. Only 3 juniors were on the ice and we were waiting for Deniss. And then he appeared going at a huge speed with his skates roaring. And believe me or not but I had a heavenly feeling which I can’t put into words! Wow…! The audience burst into applause. Some minutes later my friend, looking a bit confused, said, “Just promise you won’t laugh at me, but I had a feeling that something gentle, something light touched my face. As if an angel passed by.” We both are far not young ladies and I have had this feeling when experiencing, seeing or hearing something mighty.

The next day before warming-up, the girls sitting behind us said something like this - let’s see if we will have the same fantastic thrilling feeling when he appears. OMG! It turned out we were not the only ones!! It didn’t repeat again as such things don’t happen every day! But Deniss is the one who can touch you to the bottom of your heart. Evidently, he was irradiating something intangible. His performance was gorgeous! I’m really happy that I saw it live. And i would like to go through this unique feeling again! :)

AgnesR

On the Ice
From : http://absoluteskating.proboards.com/thread/4392/st-phane-choreographer-coach?page=43

Moderator: So, long term planning with Deniss. Means you will inevitably have to work on the quad?
Stéphane: "Of course, we have been concentrating on the quad since the beginning of our collaboration. There's a big evolution despite the unsuccessful attempt during the FS. There are clearly very, very good attempts during practices. And this is positive. One or two quads are needed if he wants to get on the European podium. And it's even another story for the World championships".

So, i hope to be able to come back to Moscow with him and then... yes... to live moments like I had back in 2005, in the other ice rink. It was not this one, the 'Lushniki' (?). In the metro today I've seen the 'Sportifnaya' (?) ... it brought me back good memories (laughter ...)

Read more: http://absoluteskating.proboards.com/thread/4392/st-phane-choreographer-coach?page=43#ixzz54uyd0PtY

:yahoo:It means that Stephane is going to work with Deniss next season as well! I was not sure whether it will be possible. Their tandem is so solid that it's not imaginable to split it up yet. There is so much Stephane can teach him.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
By the way... Attention anyone who is planning a trip to Milan for 2018 Worlds!!!
A few of us in the Deniss supporting group on FB started talking about organizing a Meet and Greet there. The idea has been just hatched, still a very early stage and the whole planning and organization are still on its way, but we would like to know who are interested in attending! Please step up and let me know if you are!
We will keep those who are interested posted as we proceed on the planning! :cheer::hap10::peace:

Great idea! I would love to be involved in something like this for Deniss!!!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The LMT video with Anastasija Grigorjeva is finally up! :)
I understand very little of the Latvian but still it's always nice to see Deniss. And some things transcend language, such as:
"Can you do splits?" "Oh, easy."
"Hold my hand - wait no stOPPP TOO FAST AAAAAA"
:laugh2:
And Deniss trying to choreograph a program was cool!

The video is awesome! And I don't want to offend our wonderful Latvians, but I'm glad his Latvian is rusty so we got to hear quite a bit of English as well :)

What's the song he was skating to? I really liked it and if he was improvising that choreo, he did a great job!

The pics from the fan meeting really are gorgeous. I'm so jealous :dev2: He needs to be at Skate America next season for us NA fans!

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker

icetug

Medalist
After watching latest videos of Deniss and Stephane I'm convinced that what we witness nowadays can be called the "project in progress" and it's how they both see Deniss' future path. They not only share the same vision, they even use the same words talking about it (like "figure skating as a lifestyle"). I am really looking forward to seeing the final product :)

Deniss' flexibility and musicality are incredible - the splits and the whole warm up, the improvised choreography - great that Latvian TV enabled him to show off :laugh:

And one more remark after EC: when I saw Deniss and Dima sitting together on the ice, two skaters who placed in EC way higher than most people expected, I had a strong feeling that those are the main competitors for a post-Javi vacancy...