Deniss Vasiljevs | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Deniss Vasiljevs

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I loved his SP- so playful and artistic, such a joy to watch. Hope he delivers a great LP too. When is he going to compete at Senior level? Can't wait, seriously. :hap10:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I loved his SP- so playful and artistic, such a joy to watch. Hope he delivers a great LP too. When is he going to compete at Senior level? Can't wait, seriously. :hap10:

He's having a busy season. He was 12th at Euros and he's going to Senior Worlds as well.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
His SP today was sooo exciting! My heart was pounding afterward! I know he threw away a few points but regardless, I think he's improving all the time. The judges seem to love him too (but how could they not? :love:).

Yes, he's going directly to Boston after this & I don't expect him to have as much energy there...but I hope he has a good time and keeps learning from every competition.

Skye

On the Ice
I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping Deniss can go clean on this SP in Boston. Even with a doubled toe he's practically milking the judges with this program...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Deniss is one of this skaters that convince me to Brian Joubert's opinion that spins should have more levels than just 4 :love: He makes me smile all the time when he's performing :hap93:

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
http://jwc2016debrecen.hu/en/fast-interviews-from-rink-men-short-program/

Deniss's comments after his SP:

Deniss Vasiljevs (LAT): I am very satisfied with my results as I have skated my season’s best. I am happy because I could do the triple axel finally. I have improved so much with Mr. Urmanov, before that I could never do it despite of trying to develop it for years. With him I had it within like two months, and not even the quads are far from me now. He is The Skater for me, I could say I want to become like him, I find it very inspiring to train with him. It is great to finally have Latvia among such figure skating nations like Russia, Canada, USA, China. I want to become Olympic Champion and Mr. Urmanov is the right coach who can lead me there, he has the attention for me. :love:

From the press conference:

I think I did my job as good as I can. I hope I can do better the next time and show my best performance. I’m very happy to skate in this great event. (on whether he’d like a quad to be allowed in the Junior short program) It would be great if we can try a quad in the short program. Step by step figure skating is growing every year. Before we couldn’t do any quads and now we’re always progressing. I think the junior level must be with quad and must be higher. So I think it would be great if we can try a quad. (On pressure as he is considered one of the top contenders) I always have pressure, only the main thing for me is – every time I’m skating I’m trying to beat myself. It’s my job. My pressure is to win against myself. It doesn’t matter which results I had before, it only matters that I improved myself.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just showed my former tumbling instructor the SP Deniss did for Jr. Worlds and she LOVED it. She's not a skating fan but she thoroughly enjoyed it.

sneakers

Match Penalty
question ? is Dennis a Russian, Ukrainian or Belarusian roots
his name suggests his name is a Latvianised slavic name

Denniss Vasiljevs in slavic name will be Denis Vasiliev

also isn't Angelina Kuchvalska a polish-latvian ? she could do well competing for Poland
Latvia has many upcoming lady skaters like Diana Nikitina

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist

A Russian friend of mine told me he is really a Russian (probably his parents are Russian) although he was born in Latvia, and his name was originally Denis Vasiljev, S was added to make it more Latvian. He does speak Russian fluently (which is not surprising considering Latvia is a former USSR state)

Last edited:

sneakers

Match Penalty
A Russian friend of mine told me he is really a Russian (probably his parents are Russian) although he was born in Latvia, and his name was originally Denis Vasiljev, S was added to make it more Latvian. He does speak Russian fluently (which is not surprising considering Latvia is a former USSR state)

thanks, his name really is a latvianised russian name, well Latvia's population is 25% russian

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

also isn't Angelina Kuchvalska a polish-latvian ? she could do well competing for Poland
Latvia has many upcoming lady skaters like Diana Nikitina

There is a fanfest for Latvian skaters and if I remember correctly, someone said that they are all ethnically Russian.

Why would Angelina want to compete for Poland? :confused: Latvia has far better skating conditions for such a small fed.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm rather nervous for him. Though I know that whatever happens, it will be agreat performance :luv17:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I think I am more nervous than the boy himself!!! :shocked: (from the way skates he acts as if he doesn't know such thing as "getting nervous")

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I am more nervous than the boy himself!!! :shocked: (from the way skates he acts as if he doesn't know such thing as "getting nervous")

Lol that's how I was like for Kevin Reynolds....and still am....but not as much as before....until the day of.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Eh, poor sweetie, a tough skate. Maybe his season is TOO busy? Anyway, let's take this as a character building experience. I wish him a better skate at Senior Worlds.