2015-2016 US Regional Championships | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 US Regional Championships

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It would be nice!

I am a bit sad that Kristi Yamaguchi's daughter did not make it through in Novices.

BTW, I am posting all the scores on page one for the convenience of people trying to compare scores between the nine regionals.

Also, if there is some particular you are interested in, the Find On This Page option in your browser will take you right to the score

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Finally, I have got to shake my head at the USFSA a bit. Pink backgrounds for the girls' scores and blue backgrounds for the boys? Really? When they are not even displayed on the same page?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Finally, I have got to shake my head at the USFSA a bit. Pink backgrounds for the girls' scores and blue backgrounds for the boys? Really? When they are not even displayed on the same page?

Like it or not, the ISU as well as other individual feds use the same color-coding for their results -- including on pages showing results for just one discipline at a time.

I understand your point, but many others besides USFS are equally deserving of your head-shaking.

For example:

(As I think you know, green is the universal code for pairs and yellow is the universal code for ice dance.)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Like it or not, the ISU as well as other individual feds use the same color-coding for their results -- including on pages showing results for just one discipline at a time.

I understand your point, but many others besides USFS are equally deserving of your head-shaking.

For example:

(As I think you know, green is the universal code for pairs and yellow is the universal code for ice dance.)

I agree, for better or worse I think they are just following the ISU on this one, it doesn't really bother me. I don't feel like gah this is so sexist, it should be purple for the boys and orange for the girls or something... I guess there might be no harm in making them all the same color though, whatever that color might be...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That was my thought. Why have these files different colors at all?

It is time and money to make them this way for them? Why bother?

gkelly

Record Breaker

It doesn't make much difference what color is used on the background of the starting order/detailed results pages. Would they be easier or harder to read if they were just black and white.

It does definitely help to color code the schedule and the list of events.

The printed protocols I bought or otherwise got access to at a few major events in from the 1990s used colored pages for the detailed results, blue, pink, green, and yellow for men, ladies, pairs, and dance respectively.

So that particular color code has been in use for a long time -- I guess there was never any reason to change it to, let's say, purple and orange, and in some uses it would cost more to change it than leave it as is.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:slink: My vision is not good, and I find the icenetwork pages particularly difficult to read. The stripy colors make it worse.

Black letters on white backgrounds with sans serif non-italic type faces are easier for me to read. Black on blue is particularly troublesome.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sorry that I neglected to congratulate all the skaters at regionals :yay: -- esp. the winners/medalists and those advancing to sectionals :bow:

I am not a computer programmer, but my guess is that whenever (way back when) the various types of software for the results pages were created, the color-coding was built into the templates ... and is still operational without any ongoing expenditure of time or money. (Meaning that the various types of software are set up to automatically show green for pairs, etc., etc.)

My two cents [no pun intended] are that color-coding is very helpful to me in finding the information I want on the color-coded schedules.
And the color-coding is somewhat helpful to me on the pages with charts of links to results for all disciplines. The different color blocks help break up many lines of links/text. (As opposed to the following example of a color-free results page, which is far less easy on the eyes, IMO: http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Irma/Octoberfest 2015/index.htm)

If brand-new colors were chosen for men and ladies as new universal standards, I would be willing to get accustomed to new colors. Orange for men and brown for ladies, for example. (But just a switcheroo -- ladies blue and men pink/red -- would be unnecessarily confusing, IMO. And jumbling up the four existing colors into a new permutation -- dance blue; pairs pink/red; etc. -- would be unnecessarily confusing.)

As for the pages that show only one discipline at a time, I can imagine that "power users" (a category to which I do not belong ;)) would find the color-coding helpful as they quickly click around from page to page to page to page ...

All in all, for me, the color-coding system ain't broke, so I am not dying for it to be fixed.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't really care what color is used, but I wish it was a lighter shade of whatever. The detailed schedule for U. S. Nationals is particularly difficult for me to read. The font is very small and the colors are very deep. Unless I have bright light, it is impossible for me to read that schedule. I've noticed that on the ISU schedule for the various events the colors are the same but the colors are much lighter and much easier for me to read.

I hate to admit the contortions I use to have a readable Nationals schedule. I blow the whole thing up as big as possible and then print it in black and white in sections. Then, I make like a grade schooler and cut and tape all the sections together. It takes several hours of work to end up with a product that I can actually read :shocked:

I'm looking forward to Sectionals and wishing skaters good luck.

I don't know why Leah Kaiser withdrew from Regionals. I was really looking forward to seeing her programs this year. Her SP last year at Nationals was really beautiful.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I don't really care what color is used, but I wish it was a lighter shade of whatever. The detailed schedule for U. S. Nationals is particularly difficult for me to read. The font is very small and the colors are very deep. Unless I have bright light, it is impossible for me to read that schedule. I've noticed that on the ISU schedule for the various events the colors are the same but the colors are much lighter and much easier for me to read.

I hate to admit the contortions I use to have a readable Nationals schedule. I blow the whole thing up as big as possible and then print it in black and white in sections. Then, I make like a grade schooler and cut and tape all the sections together. It takes several hours of work to end up with a product that I can actually read :shocked:

I'm looking forward to Sectionals and wishing skaters good luck.

I don't know why Leah Kaiser withdrew from Regionals. I was really looking forward to seeing her programs this year. Her SP last year at Nationals was really beautiful.

I was also looking forward to her... no one so far seems to have any info but I do truly hope she is okay.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I posted a question about Leah's withdrawal on another board. If I get any info, I'll post it here also. She is really a lovely skater and I recall how several fans (me included) were so impressed with her SP. I hope she plans to continue next season.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I posted a question about Leah's withdrawal on another board. If I get any info, I'll post it here also. She is really a lovely skater and I recall how several fans (me included) were so impressed with her SP. I hope she plans to continue next season.

Thank you!!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
:slink: My vision is not good, and I find the icenetwork pages particularly difficult to read. The stripy colors make it worse.

Black letters on white backgrounds with sans serif non-italic type faces are easier for me to read. Black on blue is particularly troublesome.

Doris, sorry for not putting myself in your shoes (so to speak -- sorry also for my terrible metaphor :hopelessness:). Thank you :bow: for poring through an endless number of pages for our benefit, esp. when your vision makes them difficult to read.

Random bits:

(1) Curran Oi will compete at New England Regionals on Monday as one of two Senior Men.

(2) Carly Gold's recent success was the subject of a question from Nick McCarvel in Gracie's media teleconference yesterday in advance of Skate America. Sweet to hear Gracie speak so proudly and lovingly of Carly (starting at approx. 11:30):

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I happened to watch the Senior Men at Eastern Sectionals last year and was surprised to see Curran Oil listed. I spotted a coach standing by him and kept wondering why he seemed kind of familiar. Finally, I realized his coach at the time was Matt Savoie!

I remember Curran from Liberty competitions.
http://curranoi.com/

He is the young fellow who created statsonice

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I remember Curran from Liberty competitions.
http://curranoi.com/

He is the young fellow who created statsonice

I happened to watch the Senior Men at Eastern Sectionals last year and was surprised to see Curran Oil listed. I spotted a coach standing by him and kept wondering why he seemed kind of familiar. Finally, I realized his coach at the time was Matt Savoie!

Thx for the bkgd on Curran Oi :), about whom I know just a bit.
I remember when he started statsonice that I read something about his interest in competing again, but I couldn't remember whether he already had done so last year. Glad to know that he had.

That is indeed very sweet :)

I forgot to say before that I loved how Gracie ended by thanking McCarvel for asking about Carly :cool:.
I know that on social media and in interviews, Gracie makes frequent happy references to Carly, but the teleconference reinforced for me how much Gracie appreciates any opportunity to share the spotlight with her.

Good luck to Carly at sectionals :).

ETA:

US Figure Skating Eastern Great Lakes championships bring cash to FW
By Corinne Rose - 21Alive
October 16, 2015
Updated Oct 16, 2015 at 6:50 PM EDT
http://www.21alive.com/news/local/U...championships-bring-cash-to-FW-333375381.html

Excerpt:
It's the U.S. Figure Skating Eastern Great Lakes championships, which is bringing 500 skaters and 1100 more parents, coaches and support staff here.
And while those people are here for the competition Saturday through Tuesday, they're expected to inject a quarter-million dollars into the local economy at hotels, restaurants and retailers.
Leaders from Visit Fort Wayne worked for years to bring the event to town, bringing national U.S. Figure Skating officials here to show them the Ice House, nearby hotels and restaurants and other amenities.
And the hope is that event organizers will want to bring the championships back again, since so much long-term planning went into it.

Last edited:

Scout

Final Flight
I am a bit sad that Kristi Yamaguchi's daughter did not make it through in Novices.

Kristi Yamaguchi's daughter? Emma? Did I miss her name on the list? And isn't she like 9 or 10 years old, which is really young for Novice? I saw a clip of her skate from a year ago in a show with her mom, and she was doing single loop and single flip.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I am a bit sad that Kristi Yamaguchi's daughter did not make it through in Novices.

BTW, I am posting all the scores on page one for the convenience of people trying to compare scores between the nine regionals. ...

Kristi Yamaguchi's daughter? Emma? Did I miss her name on the list? And isn't she like 9 or 10 years old, which is really young for Novice? I saw a clip of her skate from a year ago in a show with her mom, and she was doing single loop and single flip.

Is the name of Erina Yamaguchi causing confusion??

AFAIK, she would not be one of Kristi's daughters, who are Emma (as mentioned by Scout) and Keara. And I think the last name of the daughters is Hedican, which is their father's family name.

Thx again to Doris for posting all the results.

Last edited: