2015 Finlandia Trophy Ladies SP and FS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 Finlandia Trophy Ladies SP and FS

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Oddly I feel Rika looks very much like FKA Twigs, even though one is Asian and one is Caucasian-African. ;)

Julia for the win!:cheer2:
Rika for the silver!
:cheer2:

Rika is like "the ugly duckling" of Japanese ladies skating. There are Mao, Satoko, so many great juniors and nobody gives her too much props, even after her gold in GP. She really impressed me as a fighter there and wish her all the best.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Glad to see Hannah getting some love on here! One of my favorite US ladies...I hope she brings it a la Angela and Courtney. It would be great to see a better showing for a US lady after the last two comps. :yes:

bluelutz

On the Ice
Oddly I feel Rika looks very much like FKA Twigs, even though one is Asian and one is Caucasian-African. ;)

Haha, yes she does!
Actually Rika's dad is British, so she is half Asian half Caucasian though she does not look very White.

Who else are mixed race skaters?
I know Cathy & Chris Reed are, but anybody else?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha, yes she does!
Actually Rika's dad is British, so she is half Asian half Caucasian though she does not look very White.

Off the top of my head, Misha Ge. Also Elladj Balde, but I don't know if you mean only skaters of Asian descent.

bluelutz

On the Ice
Off the top of my head, Misha Ge. Also Elladj Balde, but I don't know if you mean only skaters of Asian descent.

I meant any kind of mixed race, it does not have to be half Asian.
Yeah, Elladj is one of them obviously, but I did not know that Misha was mixed, so I googled it.

Probably Tai Babilonia was the very first mixed race skater?

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I was not aware Rika is half white at all. Misha Ge is definitely half Korean-Chinese half Russian. In most cases people of mixed races look more like his or her mom in terms of race.

I believe Brooklee Han is mixed too. I feel Kailani Craine might half Asian half White, but never found any proof from the Internet.

Haha, yes she does!

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
What Rika is half white?! She does not look white (to my untrained eyes) at all!

Yeah, we talked about this a little throughout her Fan Fest thread :) I don't think her dad has been posted, but there is a video of her mom at an airport speaking to the press.

bluelutz

On the Ice
In most cases people of mixed races look more like his or her mom in terms of race.

I do not think that is true.
Having lived in NYC for many years, I have met quite a few mixed race people, especially half White half Asian kind,
and some looks more Asian, some looks more White.
They usually have Asian mom and White dad, but still some look more White.
I have a friend who got a Asian mother, and he looks pretty much White, but his younger brother looks more Asian.
Chris Reed looks Asian to me, but Cathy looks a bit more White.
So I think it depends.

I believe Brooklee Han is mixed too. I feel Kailani Craine might half Asian half White, but never found any proof from the Internet.

I agree about Brooklee.
She looks like half Asian half White to my eyes, and also her last name is Han, which can be Chinese or some other Asian name.
Kailani can be a mixed race person too.

adelia

Record Breaker
Julia for the win!:cheer2:
Rika for the silver!
:cheer2:

Rika is like "the ugly duckling" of Japanese ladies skating. There are Mao, Satoko, so many great juniors and nobody gives her too much props, even after her gold in GP. She really impressed me as a fighter there and wish her all the best.
I like Rika too.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I know Gabrielle Daleman is not in Finlandia, but talking about whatever background, I wonder whether Gaby has some Asian traits.

sses1

On the Ice
I know Gabrielle Daleman is not in Finlandia, but talking about whatever background, I wonder whether Gaby has some Asian traits.

I think its more likely that she has latin roots judging from her parents.

Art&Sport

Medalist

Interesting observation. As someone has already mentioned though, Rika is also mixed race. Here are pics of each of them for comparison:

http://urbanbushbabes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/42.jpg FKA twigs
http://www.ifigureskating.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/rika-hogbo.jpg Rika Hongo

Perhaps there is a slight similarity in the shape of their faces (tho's Rika's face seems somewhat longer in shape) and both of them have thick eyebrows. Maybe their noses are slightly similar looking. However, their eyes are completely different. FKA twigs' eyes are a lighter brown, larger, rounder and protruding. Rika's eyes are smaller, a darker brown, slightly more wider-spaced and the shape is obviously quite different. Also, their lips are different. FKA twigs has luscious, full lips, almost perfectly bow-shaped. Rika's mouth seems a bit wider and her lips are not as full (Rika's top lip is thinner than her bottom lip, while FKA twigs' lips are more symmetrical). In addition, their skin tones are different (Rika - paler with pink/yellow undertones; FKA twigs - a rich olive complexion with red undertones).

Granted in this pic of Rika, she does appear to bear more of a slight resemblance to FKA twigs:
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Rika+Hongo+LeTnnNYCHhcm.jpg

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I understand there is no ill-intent in the above posts discussing race, please stick to the topic. Thanks!

firal

Record Breaker
Rika has 2 really interesting programs this season what what I've seen; however she was dealing with an injury (can't remember what is was) so her jumps were not as stable has last season, but hopefully she has had enough time to bounce back from that. I'll be cheering for her too!

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
I wish a clean skate to everyone :points: but especially to Anne Line Gjersem and Camilla Marie Gjersem.

Even the sound of Norwegian language is better :love: ... than usual ... when the twins are talking ... Especially when they are excited :) :party:
By the way their mother is a Filipina originary from Iligan, Isabela :rock:

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker

Rika really improved her second mark last season with Akiko's help. I hope it's an upward trend because I like her.

Go Camilla! Go Anne Line! Go Joshi! Go everyone! The men sucked, so the ladies should be great! :cheer: