2015 Nebelhorn Trophy Men SP.and Free Skate | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2015 Nebelhorn Trophy Men SP.and Free Skate

tulosai

Record Breaker
Max will never turn into Machida. Neither he will turn into Carolina Kostner who his coach mentioned as an example. He just can't be a balletic skater to me. They just try to build the impossible when they could just find the body voice of his own.

In a way I agree, but I also think that it's good for skaters to stretch themselves artistically, especially in non-Olympic years, even if there's no immediate benefit, because it often does improve other aspects of their skating (sometimes unexpected ones) once they return to the comfort zone. In this case, I immediately see a benefit that I'm optimistic he'll retain- his posture is better.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
In a way I agree, but I also think that it's good for skaters to stretch themselves artistically, especially in non-Olympic years, even if there's no immediate benefit, because it often does improve other aspects of their skating (sometimes unexpected ones) once they return to the comfort zone.
True, true.:yes:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well not the free I'm sure Max was looking for but there was still a lot in there that I think he can be proud of. First of all his PCS were the second highest of the night and he beat Menshov in that department and Menshov was in the GPF last year, plus walking away with a medal is always a pretty great thing.

Menshov has never made the GPF. You must be thinking of Voronov.

Idontsk8

On the Ice
Well watching the Men's FS while working out at home is quite a task :p I didn't pay too much attention to Elladj's skate due to push-ups (=P) but it seems it was pretty awesome, gotta catch later! About the other medalists, I can definitely see improvements in Max's SS and overall movement but some parts of the choreo seem still very empty, maybe because saving energy for the big tricks that lacked him today. I also like the minimalist costume and I think Swan Lake kind of fits him. About Kostya, I really like this program for him, enjoyed the step sequence, shame that he lacks stamina in the end.

And the others I saw...well with Michal you always know what you can end up with but I think this program is good for him, I don't see Shindler's list as a good fit for Peter and it seems Titanic is pretty popular this year :laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm also very happy for Elladj's PCS breakthrough. He's often underscored IMO and he was third in the SP but came out ahead in the LP.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
And the others I saw...well with Michal you always know what you can end up with but I think this program is good for him, I don't see Shindler's list as a good fit for Peter and it seems Titanic is pretty popular this year :laugh:

Yeah, I think I'm Schindler's List-ed out anyway. And the problem of skating to Titanic is that if you bomb the program, the jokes write themselves. :laugh2: I don't think Elena will have that issue, but Jorik is more of a question mark. Who thinks these programs with dialogue are a good idea anyway? Jorik's sounded awful through my speakers...is it that bad in person? Do judges like it? I can't imagine that they would.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I just got home, meetings all day so I could not access the results, dropping in to say that
I am beyond thrilled for Elladj, CONGRATS!!!!:cheer:. I loved his SP and I am looking forward
to viewing the video of his LP.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I have lots of quotes from men and pairs + intend to do a q&a with Kaetlyn tomorrow,

will try to post it tomorrow

Gn

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Kind of amazing that someone who has never even medaled at a Canadian Nationals wins an international event. And lets face it it's not like there were tons of great skaters in Canadian Men's in the last 4 years keeping him off the podium.

When I first eyed on him, he was the Canadian Junior Champ. Injuries had long plagued his development, and he nearly quit after breaking his knee. Overjoyed to see he breaks thru and proves himself worthy of two GP assignments this season. Great job Elladj!! :thumbsup:

I really liked Grant Hochstein's programs, especially the long. :rock: Now just get your feet under that quad, Grant!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
WOW at Elladj!!!! i have been following him for a couple years and i am so thrilled he did so well!!!! canadian nationals will be tough.... with only two spots for WC

Dots

Final Flight
Did Max forget some of his choreography? The announcer said he was improvising during his skate. :scratch:
There were patches in his long program where it almost seem like he was about to stop.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Did Max forget some of his choreography? The announcer said he was improvising during his skate. :scratch:
There were patches in his long program where it almost seem like he was about to stop.

the second half was rather different than at collegiates