2015 Nebelhorn Trophy Ladies SP and Free Skate | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2015 Nebelhorn Trophy Ladies SP and Free Skate

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Yes Alex D. And thank you!

How would Kaetlyn compare her win today versus her first win at Nebelhorn?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Skating while having enormous personality and performance ability bonus

She definitely show s great personality but it is not part of the PCS criteria.

Performance is lumped with Execution, so she satisfy one half, but not necessarily the other today. In any case, I think she has been under rated among the Russian youngsters. She has by far the more mature presentation and expression with the right material, her Chaplin last year for example was a gem and I have stated so in my early reviews.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Any questions for Kaetlyn you guys have.

Thanks Alex.

Please tell her I love her FS program this year, and wonder what is the story behind it? Her choice or her Choreographer's choice?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
New PBs for Brooklee and Kailani! :yay: and a team Australia 6 and 7! Now to watch!

LisaM

Medalist
She needs to relax her shoulders omg. I'm just aching watching it. The dress cut isn't helping her either.

tulosai

Record Breaker
As a program/performance this is the best one for me so far. Looking forward to the next groups!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brooklee and Kailani were just :love: :love: :love: :love:

Team Australia is so lucky to have these two gorgeous ladies with their very gorgeous programs!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
haha not to kill your fun darlings... but Canada is a very big country.... and immigration is varied in its very different regions.... there's not really a "canadian accent" there are SEVERAL ;) you can't compare people from Newfoundland to Alberta etc etc... even from town to town... people in Montreal do not speak French the same way as people in Quebec city.. and these towns are only 2 hours apart in car... ;) it is indeed a country with a lot of diversity

Oh, don't worry, I realised that there is a lot of regional variation (and even alluded to it in my previous post). Like, anybody who just sees the size of Northern Ireland on a map would not believe the amount of variation in accent there is here!

But, I did find it interesting the point you made about Montreal and Quebec accents being different. I hadn't realised that there were regional variations within the French speaking community as well. There again, I haven't actually heard many Canadians speaking in French (Jacques Villeneuve is probably the only one!)

I just finished the Ladies FS, and I had to laugh. There we were last night talking about people from Newfoundland, and it turns out that that is where Kaetlyn Osmond is from! And the interview just showed how diverse the "Canadian accent" actually is. A skater from Newfoundland talking to a skater from Ontario.

And, just as a final comment on this accent discussion, Kaetlyn just proves the original point I was making. She would DEFINITELY fit in over here! In fact, she actually sounds just like somebody I know!

Moving onto the actual competition, and I was delighted that Kaetlyn won. She was definitely the best in each segment.

I LOVED everything about Alena's FS except for 2 things - the music and the skates.

That music was just a total mess. Like, how many songs were in there?! And although some people liked the transitions between the songs, I didn't. But maybe that was because I was having enough problems watching the videos and thought that I was losing the audio!

Didn't like the flesh coloured skates either. But, at least it was better than that awful habit that some skaters have of having their tights going over the skates (or, even worse, only partially covering their skates!) My attitude is that people do not have metal blades attached directly to their feet. So, why try to make it look as if they do?!

Alena looked amazing, and she skated really well. But, I am totally biased. Just remember, I was still championing her when everybody else was saying she should just retire! She may not be able to have a Liza-style comeback (let's face it, her Federation are still going to favour the younger skaters for the big events), but she has proved that she still has it!

Nothing againgst Courtney, but I think I would have preferred to see Alaine on the podium. And Mirai was amazing in the FS. If she can get the SP as polished as her FS was, she will be right in the mix come Nationals.

All in all, a very enjoyable Ladies FS (especially when I discovered that the routines from the final 2 groups were on YouTube! Yes, I still had to watch the intros and the highlights/getting results on Daily Motion, but it meant that instead of crashing a couple of times every skater, Firefox only crashed a couple of times altogether!)

By the way, the Gala has been put up on the Daily Motion channel this morning. :cheer: :rock: :party2:

1st Half: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37xqim_gala-part-1-nebelhorn-trophy-2015_sport
2nd Half: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37xqin_gala-part-2-nebelhorn-trophy-2015_sport

CaroLiza_fan

Alex D

Record Breaker
NT 2015 Column

Table of Contents

1. Introduction
2. Those, Dark - Brown Eyes! (Campfire Chat with Kaetlyn Osmond)
3. Dracula and his bride (Maxim & Tatiana claim there 4th NT victory)
4. About Power and Maturity (To quad or not to quad in Pairs)
5. Getting to known (What´s this all about?)
5.1 Kailani Craine (introducing the new shooting star from Australia)
5.2 Who´s next? (Tania and Karoliina)
6. Medals for all
6.1 Alaine Chartrand ("best SP for the 1.52m whirlwind from Prescott)
6.1.1 Kaetlyn, Alena and Courtney backstage ("What I like about You")
6.2 Best FS - Konstantin Menschov ("I am not so young, so")
6.3 Best Chemistry - Mitchel - Islam (about the meaning of life)
6.3.1 Chock - Bates strike again
6.3.2 Canuscio - Mcmanus ( "I am the music and he is Beethoven")
6.4 Best Endurance - Niki Wories (worlds most elegant Crash Pilot)
6.5 Best accent - Kailani Craine
6.6 Best Smile - Karoliina Luhtonen
6.7 Best Coach - Tarja Sipilä
6.8 Best Outfits - So Many
7.0 Off the record
8.0 Best Quotes

1. Introduction

Once again, I was allowed to cover the event and once again I learned so many new things about FS. Right now I have a little cold, as I forgot to put my jacket on during the Gala, but oh well... The column this year, has many more interviews than the last, I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing, so let me know! I tried to write about as many skaters as possible, but as always, I can not write about everyone, so I apologize in advance. And now, I wish everyone a lot of fun, reading this huge wall of text.

2. Those, Dark - Brown Eyes!

It has been three long years since a 16-year old and her wonderful smile, gave Oberstdorf the pleasure to witness maturity, sex appeal and a selling potential that Figure Skating needs to get back to where it once was. Her smiles, the graceful movements and also important the skills on blades are something that a sport currently suffering under some type of media crisis, needs.
It´s a fresh element, an element which should not be underestimated by the ISU, as we need those athletes who motivate a new generation of kids to get on blades, even if you can not make a million dollars with it or gain 10 billion facebook friends.

Friends by the way are, what Kaetlyn surely has plenty of and one of them dropped a remarkable comment about her.

"You know, Kaetlyn - she is a bit clumsy"

A comment, which needed some explanation from the 19 years old herself and she was pretty honest about her tiny but also charming issue with carpets, stairs and walking in general.

"I am very, very, very clumsy" "I have a lot of trouble walking a straight line, trouble walking on carpet, I have trouble walking up-stairs".

"The only time I am really not clumsy is when I am on blades, it´s actually easier to be on blades than without"

There was, however, one exception to this rule and unfortunately did exactly this one, cost Kaetlyn the whole last season when she fractured the fibula in her right leg during practice.

"It was the day after I came back learning a new choreography, so I was going through my program, trying to figure out my choreography and in my long program there are so many twists and turns and I couldn´t see where I was going so, when I saw someone I tried to stop, but I was halfway through a turn so I tried to put down my right leg to stop and that´s when it started snapping"

With rolling eyes and a smile she continued

"I didn´t hit anyone, well I hit the boards I think"

If now, as a fan you want to punish those evil boards, or just want to take a picture of them for nostalgic reasons, then all you need to do is actually go to Edmonton, as this is where Kaetlyns practice venue can be found.

A venue, which is so much different from many other venues around the world.
"It´s actually a really fun place to practice, I skate in two different rings and one of them is actually in a mall, so I´ve got to skate in front of the crowd every single day and it definitely added to my performance and we got to deal with distraction and ...

after a small laughter she continued

"there are people who laugh at us and we have to deal with what people think about us and if they point at us after a fall, - actually most of them don´t think we are that great"

Great however, was her performance at Oberstdorf - a performance that did not see much change from the basic idea that she had before her injury, except, one minor detail!
"the section when I injured myself, that section is no longer there - that is gone!"

and once again, we had something to laugh about.

What was there however, were triple jumps en masse except the loop which she left out due a minor injury prior to the event. In total, Osmond landed six triple jumps, with her best being the triple Lutz in the FS and a new PB of 179.41 .

That said, she has a pretty clear and agreeable opinion about the "jump war" that currently happens in FS, where everyone is trying to get the most difficult jumps somehow under their belt.

"Skating is a lot more than just jumps, it´s something, I have grown up with as I never was a really good jumper until recently. Therefore I always worked hard on my spins, choreography to make up for this".

Said choreography in her FS, was the Tango. A very remarkable and well-known element to the figure skating scene and she performed it flawlessly and did the thing we men hate so much about women, playing hot and cold with us!
Kaetlyn, designed the program with Pasquale Camerlengo last season and achieved - with 7.6 in average, the highest PC´s of the competition.

"It´s the first time I did a Tango program and it´s something I always wanted to do. It was also the first time that I worked with someone else than Lance Vipond. The program is definitely a favorite of mine, I really like it"

Said program, does not consist of a triple Axel, an element that Elizaveta re-introduced last season with her flawless comeback. Kaetlyn so far, did not do any triple Axel attempts and explained her reasoning to me, like this.
"I´ve never been healthy enough and before I never had any motivation to try one. The element sure add´s a lot and its worth the risk, but I want to make sure that my other elements are fine first, before I add something new"
The 19 years old also added, that ...
"Elizaveta´s triple Axel last year was absolutely amazing, I just couldn´t get over, how gorgeous it was, but at the same time there is the rest of the program, if you land the triple Axel and nothing else than it will not really add up"

after a small thought she added
"If you can land it, then go for it, but if not, then it´s not worth it".

Last but not least, we spoke about her current season and the competition in Canada. Kaetlyn, had a lot of good words for her Canadian team mates and would like to repeat what she did three years ago, when her promising international career also started here at Oberstdorf and she won Skate Canada a bit later.

"Gabby & Alaine, they came first and second last year in Canada and each year, they have been building up their program just like I did mine and we have always been battling it over, - who got the better programs that day and last year they proved that they can put out very good programs as well so that´s going to be a very interesting competition for sure and I want my title back"

As for the Grand Prix´s and international scene, she added with a smile,

"I am also looking forward to getting Grands Prix done and it would be the first time I achieved two Grands Prix a season and I want to make the world team and my best placement there is 8th, so I want to improve on that as well"

In my opinion, this young Lady deserves better from her so-called fans. She is such a nice person, we talked for almost 15 minutes and she would have probably talked to me for another 15, if there wasn´t an appointment to attend. Why this young lady gets so much hate and critique I will never understand, but it´s the same like with Gracie last year. Those skaters are wonderful people and they are humans just like you and me. There is no reason to insult them or be super negative if there is not a gold medal around their neck.

3. Dracula and his bride

Gold medals, those two excellent skaters have plenty and yet they face a lot of critique every time they skate, especially after their Bollywood SP which didn´t go as planned. The current reigning double, Olympic champions Maxim Trankov and Tatiana Volosozhar, had two very distinctive performances here at Oberstdorf. Their SP, was a hit and miss compilation, while the FS was almost a perfect demonstration of their old strength.

"The short program was more difficult always. Only in the Olympic season we were good in Short Program. So I think, its same story because our experience is completely gone after a year and a half out of competition, so I think its just story that will repeat."

A story that might very well repeat indeed, as in 2018, if all goes well, the three-year threshold will be reached and both be skating together again for three consecutive years after sitting out the whole last season due Trankovs shoulder injury.

When the pair was found in 2011, it also took them exactly those three years to get a decent SP on the ice and we all know how it did end up for them at Sochi.

Maxim added,
"The feeling for competition was much better in the Long than the Short and we learned a lot from yesterday."
Dracula, a program choreographed by Nikoli Morozov, was actually Maxims own idea as he explained.
"We prepared the program already for last season, but could not show it due my injury. The Dracula was actually my idea because I wanted to do the opposite of Jesus Christ Superstar and we also really liked the music of Van Helsing and Bram Stokers Dracula".

While Alexa and Chris, the Americans coming second, performed a quad twist, Tatiana and Maxim didn´t, which lead to the question about their plans and future quads. In general, Trankov didn´t rule out the possibility of a quad twist, but quad throws like of Duhamel and Redford, he did.

"Before, we did compete with couples who had harder elements like Aljona and Robin with their triple Axel or the Chinese and could win. So we can still win without it. Also, I can not throw my wife like that, for me its too dangerous. For the Twist maybe, as its my control, but for throws - no I am just very polite with the girls, it´s very hard for them and I understand it´s scary"

He also added the funny remark that,

"First my wife has to born a baby for me, maybe after I can throw her."

Not actually a baby anymore, is Pairs-kating, with the first competitions taking place in 1908 with Anna Hübler and Heinrich Burger winning gold for the German Empire. Yet, the amount of actual Pairs skaters today, is quite low compared to the singles which Maxim thought about as a missed opportunity.

"Other countries, they do look at the quad throws, quad twists and they might say, OK this discipline is not for us and I would be surprised if we have more than 15 in the Europeans and it´s a little problem, not so many pairs skaters around the world"

However, there is also light at the end of the tunnel as he added,
"But for the juniors circle, there it´s amazing like the Czech couples, or the Australians Matthew and Paris who were here, it´s amazing that pairs skating now grows in new countries too"

What also grows is the Russians desire to compete, as Maxim noted and once again made everyone laugh with his argumentation, as of why.

"On international level, it´s only three years for us, it´s not much and there is one ISU medal we don´t have, so ...
Maybe we will stay and compete for that Cup of China medal..."

waits a few seconds and adds...

"not this year though"

The cup of China is the third ISU Grand Prix Event held from the 6th-8th of November at Beijing. Currently listed are Mao Asada, Javier Fernandez, World bronze medalist Elena Radionova, Sui/Han, the European Champions Yuko Kavaguti/Alexander Smirnov and Chock/Bates.

As for the Russians plans in regards of Grand Prix attendances, their schedule shows Trophée Bompard in Bordeaux and the NHK Trophy at Tokyo, where they will face Redford / Duhamel and their Quads.

4. About Power and Maturity

Talking about quads, there was something, right? Yes, the Americans Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim offered a quad twist in their LP. The program itself, was as unique as the one of the Russians, a lot of elements which you don´t see that often, very original and fitting to their program music of Elisabeth, the Golden Age.
Chris mentioned that it was their intention to let the music stand out and show what they are capable of.

"We researched music last year and wanted to pick something that shows our power and big tricks and elements, but also maturity that so many other pairs have. We didn´t want to fall behind and therefore picked this soundtrack."

The Americans only 4th after the short, lost one mark in PC´s over the Russians, averaging 7.5 - yet made a huge jump forward, with great synchronicity and more than just a quad to stand out. Their spectacular performance had two triple throws, a wonderful side by side Sal and three very crafty lift elements. As for the quad topic in general, Chris disagreed with Maxim.

"We want to show quads, as the sport has to progress. We can handle a quad twist and will start practicing quad throws now"

As for their performance at the Trophy itself, Alexa said:
"We are happy with our LP performance, it is a great way to start the season and we will take it from here and keep improving"

"smiles and lets Chris finish"

"You know we had technical errors in the short and FS, so that´s a bit disappointing, but the way we skated was a good start into the season and we are looking forward to Skate in America"

Something I am personally looking forward to is, when both pairs hopefully return in 2016, as the smiles were real and the jokes really awful and we all know, those are usually the best, right?

5. Getting to known

Not a joke at all, is my new category, "getting to known", which I invented as a new feature to showcase and introduce new talents in FS. It is a section, that I want to expand with every Figure Skating event that I go to. It´s a section that will showcase young talents, skaters who you might have never heard of, but who will make your day in absolutely every possible way.

5.1 Kailani Craine

We will start with a young lady, who is actually responsible for this whole "getting to know" section, as when I saw her on Wednesday for the first time in practice, I instantly knew, I want to know more, I want to let the whole world know, about this young Australian.

Her skating is very gorgeous and charming but also confident. She shows great flexibility and always has her head up. She likes to skate, she is there to entertain and put a smile on the people in the audience. Her skating reaches your heart and you just want to see her again and again.

Therefore, I was very happy, to get a few minutes with the 17 years old from Newcastle, South Wales who when she started skating, never really thought that she would end up where she is right now.

"You know, I started skating at the age of eight and never planned about doing it professionally, it was more just for fun, but ya - now I am here, right?"

With a very cute laughter she added,

"Skating is my whole life"

Besides skating however, she has something that is so typical for the Aussies and it has to do with snow and mountains, not really something you find at every corner there, but this doesnt stop Kailani from doing it.

"Besides skating, I love snowboarding and if I go to America for practice and its winter, then I always go up to the mountains, snowboarding for a few days you know"

As a snowboarding fan myself, I kind of wish I could see her on the board some time, I just cannot get that picture out of my head, how this young girl styles up on the board, naughty as she is.
However, if anyone out there might now be worried about this hobby, don´t be afraid, Kailani promised, to not do anything too crazy in show.

"I don´t try anything crazy, I do a couple of ramps, but it´s really just modest stuff, I am really careful there, I promise"

What she also promised is, that she is coming back to Oberstdorf and she left absolutely no doubt how she feels about this place.

"I LOVE OBERSTDORF, I am so coming to this competition EVERY single year, it´s one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, - I love the mountains and everything and the competition went well, I really loved it here."

With a wink and a smile she also added,
"good snowboarding"

referring to a hint she got from some of her friends, who competed at the Bavarian Open in 2015, a Figure Skating event at a time, when Oberstdorf was completely covered in snow and who knows, maybe in 2016 there will be snow again with Kailani and her board, riding it.
Besides Snowboarding, this young lady is also a Designer! Each of her stunning outfits, were designed by herself with the LP dress being a bit tight as she admitted.
The young Aussie who still goes to school also confessed that there are two extremes in the fashion life of Kailani Craine.

"I have two different extremes, like I can be really lazy at my house and wear track pants and just baggy clothing or I can dress up like I am going on to the red carpet, there is no inbetween I swear. But if it comes to my dresses in competition, then I take all the time I need to make them exactly as I want them! It´s quite stressful, but a lot of fun"

A lot of fun it also was to see her three programs, as she was also invited to perform at the Gala.
Kailani about her SP where she landed a triple "Flutz", Loop and double Axel and received a new PB of 50.42.

"The SP "Flamenco Fire" by Diduly, it´s more like a fun sort of pace, a bit spanishy, but boppy at the same time. I really like the program and got it in December, before the Nationals."

Her long program, was not just a classic for skating fans, but also for her, as she skated to Rome & Juliet before.

"I skated to it when I was like nine years old, just at a kiddy level, but I really love the music and wanted to use it again. I really like the powerful pace at the end, its a lot of fun"

In said program, she showed great maturity and a total of four triples and she also received a level four modification, for her really gorgeous layback and in general never lost her positive attitude throughout the program.

Overall, the young Australian and her self-designed dresses, absolutely added to this years Trophy and she can be named side by side with names like Mariah Bell, Kaetlyn Osmond or Laura Lepistö, who achieved the same when they were at Oberstdorf for the very first time.

A first time, it isn´t that Australian skaters enhance the day for skating fans around the world, Brooklee Han is well known, not only among experts and there are also Paris and Matthew who have besides their trouble with the skating boots not arriving in time, also a bright future in front of them.

Aussie skating might not yet be as popular as H2O or Home & Away, but it´s there and it´s a tight & supportive community as Kailani mentioned.

"No, there is not too much skating in Australia, but I get a lot of support from the community and my whole country supports me and I get to see the oversea competitions which is really nice and I get a lot of choices".

Some of those choices, will bring the young lady and her cute accent to the Spanish JGP next, afterwards the Ice Challenge in Austria, her nationals and junior worlds and maybe even worlds.

Last but not least, Kailani has a little shoutout for her fans and those who might want to swap the surf board for some skating boots.

"You guys are so awesome, that´s kind of the stuff that keeps me going, the different posts and it´s so amazing to see that people actually, like watching me skate as I don´t like to watch myself do it, as I always find something to criticize there."

Craine continues with a huge smile on her face,

"Keep going, if there are any figure skaters out there, keep going and push hard, you will breach to what you want and thank you so so much for your support"

Kailani who probably said thank you, a 100 times, during the interview, has been someone who I really liked talking to, we had great fun and I am sure there is a lot more to see from her in the next few years. Her own music video she already has and it sure won´t be the last thing we see from that busy young lady with her million talents.

5.2 Who´s next?

More talents to discover are out there, two of them are Tania Odermatt and Karoliina Luhtonen. The Swiss and the Fin, have a really lovely appearance and were rightfully noticed by some of you at this forum. Therefore, it will be my duty, to try and get them for a small interview session soon. The target for those two is the NRW Trophy if they show up there, as I sadly didn´t had the time to talk to Tania at all and only very little with young Karoliina, who is so charming, but still a bit shy - which I am as well, so you can imagine our conversation, right?

You might now probably wonder, will there only be girls in that section? Well no, but the girls tend to be more open for such stuff, I guess the guys find giving these interviews a bit uncool. However, I am sure I will find a guy or even a couple out there, which is open for it and then him, her or them will be introduced to you, just like Kailani today.

6. Medals for All

As always, I have picked my favorite skaters, programs and outfits and summarized them under the Medals for all section.

6.1 Best SP Alaine Chartrand - Lilies of the Valley (Pina)

This tiny whirlwind of just 1.52m, skates for Nepean SC and has such a remarkable Lutz that there will never be any doubt about that outside edge. In general, her skating style taught me quite a lot about FS elements, as she has a wonderful way of doing them clean and not rushed. In my opinion, she got way too few points in her SS, some judge even gave her a 5.5, which is hilarious in my opinion.

I love her work with the edges and that great attitude, she can be naughty, sexy, charming and funny as well, qualities that you need to present various types of programs.

So, what made her SP stand out? Well, the 19 years old hardly made any mistakes and she has a wonderful way of using the music for her elements. If there is a quieter section, then you will see this in her motion and facial expression, just like she can be naughty and sexy if the music provides it. The young Canadian who is coached by FS legend Brian Orser, had an almost perfect performance. Her spins which were original and clean, received level 4´s, so did her step-sequence and she of course landed her trademark and favorite element, the triple Lutz just fine.

The national silver medalist and winner of the bronze medal at Rostelcom 2014, was quite pleased with her performance when I talked to her backstage.

"I am quite pleased with how I skated, I wouldn´t change much. I might would clean up my combination a little bit, but overall it was a good start into the season".

As for the rest of the season, she was quite clear in what she wants.
"Since last year was such a big year for me, I definitely want to make it to the worlds team and repeat my medal at the Grand Prix. Besides that, I want to clean up my elements a bit."

The elements she is talking about are mostly found in the FS, as for some reason it just didn´t work out that day. Therefore, Alaine sady dropped to the 4th position, behind Alena Leonova and Courtney Hicks from the US.

6.1.1 Kaetlyn, Alena and Courtney backstage ("What I like about You")

Said Ladies and Kaetlyn, played a little game with me backstage, a game of finding a fitting sentence for ech other and here is what they came up with.

Kaetlyn about Courtney

"I have not seen Courtney skate much, so I am pretty oblivious to her skating world, but I got to practice a lot with her this week and I like how powerful she is. How she tries really hard with her jumps and just goes for it."

Alena about Kaetlyn

"I like that Kaetlyn skates powerfully, I like her jumps, they are far and high and I like the character she portraits on the ice."

Courtney about Alena

"Alena is like such a bubbly skater, she is very expressive and it´s a lot of fun skating together"

The Ladies competition while only with three groups, was really enjoyable, also because I never missed a practice and saw how they progressed over the days. A good example is Mariko Kiahara, who fell pretty much every time in practice, but then in competition she did quite decent. It reminded me a bit of Yuna Kim, who at least when I saw her practice, had the same issues at times.
As always I was impressed how these young girls of 15+, can fall so hard on the ice and yet keep their smiles!

6.2 Best LP Konstantin Menshov - Mad World by Gary Jules / Radioactive by Lindsey Stirling and Pentatnix (Imagine Dragons Cover)

Konstantin is also a skater with smiles, but it´s a different one as he is very modest and calm, a wonderful person and so mature. Menshov, won the bronze medal behind a thrilling Elladj Baldé scoring his first title ever and Max Aaron who convinced with his black swan FS and an ACDC Gala performance.

The Russian who unfortunately does not get much help in Russia, crafts programs with an intention, an intention that isn´t just a big score, but also telling all of us, about the world we life in.

"I want to show how mad the world is, we have many problems and at times we need to remember those."

As for his LP in general, he added

"For this season I decided to put three quads into my LP and I am pretty happy that I was able to rotate my third quad in the second part of the program and the quad triple and Salchov. It´s just a shame about the second triple Axel, which I couldn´t fully rotate"

Menshov continues

"It was in general quite a difficult competition for me, as we arrived just one day before the short so I didn´t had much time to practice"

What´s also difficult for the sympathetic Russian is his standing among the Russian Federation as he explained

"Well, the Moscow people care more about their own skaters, but it´s my fault as well, as I need to skate more consistently and ya, they try to push the young...."

Konstantin who does practice in St. Petersburg, adds with a smile and in English

"I am not so young, so"

6.3.0 Best Chemistry Paul / Islam - FS (about the meaning of life)

A still very young discipline in Figure Skating, is Ice Dance and was once dominated by the Brits and later Russians / Sow-jet Union skaters. Today however, both nations dont play a big role anymore, at least not if it´s about securing gold medals, of which the first ever was rewarded in 1952 when the Brits Jean Westwood and Lawrence Demmy, skated to gold in Paris.

Up until Sochi, Ice Dance was dominated by US and Canadian teams and at Oberstdorf both nations also claimed the top three spots.

While it´s hard to single out a couple, I am going for Alex and Mitchel here, as I was so impressed by their skating attitude and chemistry, especially in their FD. While "only" coming second with a few errors here and there, the couple that just moved from the Detroit Skating Club to Montreal, was asking a very important question in their FD.

"The story that we created for it, is almost a little bit biographical for us, not knowing your destiny and trying to find the answers for that."

rumbles, I am fu....

Alex takes over,

"It´s basically about discovering your destiny and.... discovering what your purpose is in life, what you are meant to do, what you are meant to be and we just love the program".

A program which was perfectly portrait in their faces, especially in Alexandra´s case, you didn´t even had to know in advance what it all was about, as it was so clearly to see.

Sadly clearly to see, was also their disappointment at the Kiss & Cry, as Alex explained a bit later.

"We were a little bit disappointed with our performance today, but we both love our program and we want people to see what we are made of, which sadly wasn´t today"

6.3.1 Chock - Bates strike again

It however, was the day of Madison Chock and Evan Bates, who won the competition with a huge gap of more than 20 points and a combined total of 169.50. As always, both skaters showed great speed and change of position during their lifts, it was a crafty program to Rachmaninoff's "Concerto No. 2, with good entries and a lot of fire.

6.3.2 Cannuscio - Mcmanus (I am the music and he is Beethoven)

Third came Anastasia Cannuscio and Colin Mcmanus with a wonderful FS program about the life of Ludwig van Beethoven, split into three parts. Each part describes the life circumstances of Ludwig, with her portraying the music and Colin the "maestro". You will be able to see how the music drags Beethoven out of his depression, but also how its worried that it might no longer exist, if he cannot be fixed.

Both skaters show that relationship wonderfully and if you want to know the full details, please click here.

In my opinion, to come up with such an idea is absolutely incredible. Her playing the music and him Beethoven. It is amazing how much work and thought figure skaters often put into their programs and it´s a shame that for a lot of people, these stories don´t count when they rate or review skates and even the ISU system is not perfect there.

I can imagine, how much work it is to put something together, as I work in a similar environment and no matter if on the ice, music studio or on stage, stories are there to be told and this is the beauty about them. Big big respect to all those skaters and their idea´s, I am such a fan of them.

6.4 Best Endurance - Niki Wories

A fan of her, I am as well. I called her "crash pilot" a few times during my practice reports and if she ever reads this here, then I hope she won´t get mad at me, as I really like this young lady. But you know, the reason for that nickname was simple, as she just kept crashing on the ice, trying hard elements over and over again, never giving up or accepting that it might not be her day. I always knew that figure skaters, especially the girls can take a beating which would make everyone else cry, but Niki - damn, she doesn´t feel pain at all!

What she, however feels is the rhythm of the music! Young Niki who was coached by Brian Orser in summer was absolutely breathtaking when she did something else than jumping, especially her steps and the way she moves her upper body and the arms - it´s just super goed and she can be so fast too!
There is so much elegance and grace in those movements, that it´s hard to believe that she is just 19 years of age. I actually only see and know this type of stuff from my dance group at home, where we have girls as well, that can do things with their body, that an old men like me, could never - ever do, without breaking every bone I got.

It´s therefore no surprise that the young lady from Dordrecht has "dancing" listed as her hobby, she just got the flow and while she was still too young to experience the big dance events in the NL; I am sure, she would had scored high among the guys there as well.

6.5 Best accent - Kailani Craine

Sassy, boppy and so many other things she says, are so class. I find that expression and choice of words so charming. I will probably not delete our interview and once in a while re-listen to it, just for entertainment.

6.6 Best Smile Karoliina Luhtonen

I was coming out of the press room once and the sun started to shine. OK this is totally silly and cheesy, but ya, she just put on her best smile at that time and all of this, after a not so successful LP before, but with a new PB of 125 in total. I am so looking forward to seeing her again! She is only 15 years of age and skates for the Kerava SC in Finland, about 25 miles north from Helsinki and hometown of Valtter Virtanen and our forum member TMC ;). She is incredible mature and as a Fin she gets bonus points anyway, as without them I would not write this stuff here today. Her next stop will be the JGP in Spain, so check this young lady out!

6.7 Best coach - Tarja Sipilä

Oh boy, it´s so much fun to see her and Juulia work together. I always like watching when they practice, she shows a lot of things on herself, like how to bend the leg, hold the arms and stuff and afterwards young Juulia has to do it and if it didn´t work out for her, Tarja is totally calm and shows it again. Also, she always smiles if we meet, such a cool lady!

6.8. Best outfits

Oh, here I just cannot really name someone only - especially since there were also cool outfits in practice like of Tania Odermatt or Kailani Craine (both more Casual actually). Btw. did you know, that Kaetlyns dresses are designed by "Josiane" in Montreal? So what are you waiting for, go there and dress like Kaetlyn or Rochette once did.

7.0 Off the record

There is so much more to tell about Nebelhorn 2015, I had amazing fun, all those different accents, the different nationalities and ways how people approached me or I approached them, the jokes during interviews, me embarassing myself at times - it just was all there. I want to thank everyone, the skaters, the OC, my colleagues ... for this wonderful opportunity to write about this stuff. I am an optimistic guy. Therefore, you won´t find bad words about anyone or anything here, maybe I see things too positive at times, but ... I like things like that, we have so much bad stuff going on right now in our world, that it´s a really refreshing opportunity to meet so many different people who tolerate others and don´t care if someone has a million bucks or something.

A lot of things are still there to improve, I have missed my target of interviewing people by a large amount, there is just never enough time and you know, there is some figure skating as well and I just want to see it too.

So if you came that far and I know it was a huge read, thanks for taking your time and I see you all next time!

8.0 Silly stuff at the end

My favorite quotes of the skaters during our chats

8.1 Best Quotes

Maxim Trankov (in regards of doing quad throws)

"First my wife has to make a baby for me, then I can throw her"

Mitchel Islam (jumping in during my question to Madison, Alexandra and Anastasia about, how it is skating with a charming guy on their side)

"None of them know, what that´s like"

Kaetlyn Osmond

"other from skating, I am pretty much not talented at much else"

Alexandra Simica (about Maxim mentioning they still don´t have one ISU Medal)

"I dont have anywhere that much"

Alaine Chartrand (after my stupid question if its important to her, to have such a good outside edge on her Lutz)

"Of course I care"

Thanks again, to all those wonderful people who I met - thanks for your cooperation and honest answers to my at times silly questions ;)