Kostomarov & Lautowa wed | Golden Skate

Kostomarov & Lautowa wed

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Here is the article about the wedding of Roman Kostomarov and Julia Lautowa. Follow the link for some nice pics. Article itself si rather tabloidy, but here it is anyway:

Roman Kostomarov has been tied down
The World champion has married the Austrian skater Julia Lautowa
The ice dancing world champion Roman Kostomarov skates with one of the most beautiful women on earth, the Russian Tanya Navka. However, yesterday Roma married a leader of the Austrian team Julia Lautowa, a certainly stunniing lady, albeit less famous.

The wedding ceremony took place in Moscow registry center #3. The wedding limo of the color of January snow arrived at the popular (especially among athletes and show people) floating restaurant on the Berezhkova embankment (almost across from the “White House”) before the guests did. Awaiting the huge gathering, the dazzling vehicle circled the embankments a bit.

The parents met Roma and Julia with bread-and-salt, and an icon. Glass shattered as the newlyweds drank their champagne and threw their glasses against the deck.

Pineapples, strawberries, sparkling wine, live music. More than 60 guests came to congratulate the beautiful couple, including the crème-de-la-crème of the country’s figure skating.

Obviously, Roman’s partner Tatiana Navka with her husband/ coach Alexander Zhulin came from America. Evgeni Plushenko came from St. Petersburg with girlfriend Uliana.

The newlyweds plan a honeymoon on a resort, and then they have to prepare for the new season.

From “KP” files
Julia LAUTOWA
Born November 5, 1981 in Moscow. Height – 166 cm. #1 on the Austria team (while training with Marina Kudryavtseva and Igor Bobrin). Was 8th at Europeans. Lists music and shopping as hobbies. Four years ago was seriously injured, but returned to ice a year later.
Roman KOSTOMAROV
Born February 8, 1977 in Moscow. Height – 182 cm. Over the span of his career, skater with many famous skaters, including Anna Semenovich (who is now a soloist of the Pop Group “Blestyawie”). This year, became European and World champion in ice dancing with his partner Tatiana Navka. Hobbies – music and sports cars. In Chicago, drives Honda Civic.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
How odd. They mentioned several times that she is "Austrian" when she was blatently born and raised in Russia. Someone moves to away as a teen and that's not worth mentioning, but the Russian press can go on and on about Sasha Cohen's "Russian roots" because her mom came from a former soviet state. :rolleye: It's also funny for me to think of Zuolin's wife as "more famous". :laugh: She is a world champ and all, but I feel as if she came out of nowhere while I've been watching Julia grow up on TV for like a decade. :laugh:

Oh well, happy for the couple. :)

shine

Record Breaker
Congrats to the new couple! For some reason, when I think of Julia I still see the little 15-year-old pony tailed girl skating to Bye Bye Love rock medley--no one could possibly be cuter. Hard to believe that she is all grown up and wedded now!
Congrats again! :love:

euterpe

Medalist
berthes ghost: "the Russian press can go on and on about Sasha Cohen's "Russian roots" because her mom came from a former soviet state"

Sasha's mom is Ukrainian.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Sasha's mom is Ukrainian.
My point exactly. Her Mom comes form a country that used to be part of the USSR, but that gives her "Russian roots" according to several Russian press articles. Julia was born in Moscow and moved to Austria when she was 12 or 13. She marries a Russian guy in Russia, and the Russian press goes on about her being "Austrian". What up with that?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Congratulations! It must have been a short engagement since during the Worlds Roman referred to her as her girlfriend, not as a fiancé.

As far as the press referring to Julia as Austrian, first of it's only a single newspaper. But, could it be b/c she made the choice to move to Austria and to represent it? Note she also slightly changed the spelling of her last name, I guess not to appear as Russian? (Lautova vs. Lautowa).

As far as Russian press commenting on Sasha's "Russian" roots, isn't it what all presses do with US-born celebrities? Everybody wants to "claim" a piece of them.

On the subject of "Russian" vs. "Ukrainian" - it all comes down to the old USSR. Most people still group all republics as Russian. Most people still refer to actions of the former USSR as Russian (a good example - "Russians" invading Prague in 1968). I am yet to meet a Russian speaker who refers to the former citizens of USSR as anything other than Russians. As long as we all share a language than we are all "Russian" kind of mentality.

Now, that may open a few cans of warms but to let you know that while Galina lived in the former USSR, she was considered neither a Russian nor an Ukrainian. She was officially considered Jewish (yes, it was considered an ethnicity). (On a personal note, it was rather shocking to discover when I moved to US that I am now a Russian!) So, that really makes me chuckle whenever Russian press tries to show Sasha's "Russian" ties. On the other hand, I noticed that in general, the Russian press no longer labels people "Russian" -something like a "Russian citizen" is used instead.

Cheers, Yana

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Thanks for the interesting info STL.:)

It actually crossed my mind at one point that maybe they weren't refering to Julia as Russian because she was Jewish (I have no idea if she is or not, but was affraid to say so because people can be so touchy about such things sometimes.

I wonder if the Irish press were fond of Peggy and Nancy? I was surprised to see how many fans Kennedy had there. :eek:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
Now, that may open a few cans of warms but to let you know that while Galina lived in the former USSR, she was considered neither a Russian nor an Ukrainian. She was officially considered Jewish (yes, it was considered an ethnicity). (On a personal note, it was rather shocking to discover when I moved to US that I am now a Russian!)
STL, I said exactly what I was going to :) When I have to identify myself, I say "Jewish American from Russia". BG, no, I don't think Lautowa is Jewish (I am actually curious about how she came to skate for Austria; that country is very anal about its citizenship; usually they only give it to those with Austrian roots). Also, for the Russian press it all depends on the context -- I am sure that if Lautowa became, say, a World Champion, they would go on, and on, and on, and on, and on about how she is Russian. The Israily press always cracks me up by pointing out every Jewish athlete.

Also, here is what Roman himself said about her in one interview, "She now skates for Austria, but in her heart she ours, a Russian."

Antilles said:
Congratulations to them. Does she already live in the states?
She trains with the Kurdyavtsevs, so I assume she lives in Russia at least most of the time.

berthes ghost said:
It's also funny for me to think of Zuolin's wife as "more famous"

Odd. If anything, Navka has been around forever in skating terms -- from back when she was with Gezalyan, and they were supposed to be the next big thing in skating.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Odd. If anything, Navka has been around forever in skating terms -- from back when she was with Gezalyan, and they were supposed to be the next big thing in skating.
See, I don't remember any of that. That's why I said "funny". Now people are pointing out that's she's been skating since before God, with everyone and their kid cousin, but until this year, I swear I've never seen or heard of her before. :laugh: Julia never really won anything, but still I remember her '97 routines as if it were yesterday. I've always assumed her citizenship was due to Austria's all but extinct presence in FS. Is there a country that doesn't have a Russian skating for it? Belgium sure could use a few. :laugh:

soogar

Record Breaker
Lautowa's last name: she might have changed it from a v to a w b/c in German, the v- sound is a w and the v letter sounds like an f. I didn't think that there was a direct link between our alphabet and cyrillic so she might have went with how her name sounded. What I do know is that when watching sporting events on German television vs. American television, the Russian names are spelled differently for the viewer.

euterpe

Medalist
berthes ghost: "Julia never really won anything, but still I remember her '97 routines as if it were yesterday. "

Not quite true. Julia won the silver medal at the Cup of Russia in the 1996-1997 Grand Prix.

Evdokia

On the Ice
Congrats to the happy couple! They look great together! :love:

Ptichka said:
I am actually curious about how she came to skate for Austria; that country is very anal about its citizenship; usually they only give it to those with Austrian roots.
Her former coach had been invited to Austria for coaching purposes and simply took talented little Julia with him. (I think she was about 12 that time?)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Ptichka for the article. Very nice picture of the bride & groom.

Dee

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Antilles said:
Nice photos. Congratulations to them. Does she already live in the states?
The last information is that they're moving to US with Roman, and will try to find a job here (I'm assuming coaching).