Eateries | Golden Skate

Eateries

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ach du lieber! Two beer and brat halls within two blocks of the arena, and an Irish pub too.
I must celebrate my German/Austro-Hungarian heritage and visit all three. At least there is some time in the schedule for eating...
Could be crowded Friday and Saturday night....Thursday and Sunday night are probably good....

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Can't do sausage...

I hear Safe House is supposed to be good, but it might be busy, especially on weekends.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oooooo! The Safe House is so much fun! But yes, it's very busy on the weekends.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I dunno how close it is to the arena, but I HIGHLY recommend 'The Safe House'. It is a spy themed restaurant and really fun. It is neither the quickest nor the cheapest, but you can easily eat there for under $20 each in under an hour, so it's not crazy expensive or long either. I highly recommend.

Layback11

Record Breaker
When I think Wisconsin, I think cheese. I happen to be rather obsessed with cheese...so...yeah, that's what I'm going to be eating. :p

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
There is so much to squeeze in to one weekend: skating, beer, cheese curds, sausage, more skating, more beer. Can't wait!!:party:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
There is so much to squeeze in to one weekend: skating, beer, cheese curds, sausage, more skating, more beer. Can't wait!!:party:

I dunno, sounds like most of my weekends these days... minus the cheese curds and sausage. ;)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oooooo! The Safe House is so much fun! But yes, it's very busy on the weekends.

Its a point four mile walk, which doesnt bother me but it does eat up time and on some nights, time is tight....
BTW, is this part of town pretty safe to be walking around after dark? Just thought I would ask.....

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Its a point four mile walk, which doesnt bother me but it does eat up time and on some nights, time is tight....
BTW, is this part of town pretty safe to be walking around after dark? Just thought I would ask.....

Yes, that part of town is okay, but you should be alert. I've spent a lot of time in Milwaukee because my brother lives there and I have never really felt unsafe in that part of the city at night. The city has a bad rep but it's not wholly deserved- some parts of town are lovely.

ETA: I'not sure how the schedule lines up but the Miller Brewery also does tours during the day. They are free and I also highly recommend. You get 3 beers at the end, and they are not samples- you actually get 3 beers. Again, free.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, that part of town is okay, but you should be alert. I've spent a lot of time in Milwaukee because my brother lives there and I have never really felt unsafe in that part of the city at night. The city has a bad rep but it's not wholly deserved- some parts of town are lovely.

ETA: I'not sure how the schedule lines up but the Miller Brewery also does tours during the day. They are free and I also highly recommend. You get 3 beers at the end, and they are not samples- you actually get 3 beers. Again, free.

I agree Milwaukee gets a bad rap and it shouldn't, especially now.

Speaking of brewery tours, it's also worth visiting the Sprecher Brewery. They make beer and craft soda! It's definitely nowhere near downtown, but if you have time, it's worth a visit. http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/index.php

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Thanks! Good info....I also am liking the Port of Call Beer Garden and the Rock bottom Brewery. Brewery tours are interesting but I have been to some and I have brewed 500 gallons of my own beer before I retired and lost all my free time...nothing against Millers but pilsners are not my thing....local microbrews are needed here!
If you starve in Milwaukee, its your own fault! Pleanty of good eateries and I am sure with the upscale renovated area, it is indeed safe...I have made a jpg map of the area with the eateries I am interested in...maybe I can post it...
Chris

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, lets try this....here is a link (I think) to my jpg map of the area for the casual hungry skating fan
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/safe house map 2_zpsjop37nwy.jpg

Here is the album that contains the pics I used in my program
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/CoyoteChris303/library/?sort=3&page=1

You can click on the thumb, then right click on the pic and save it to your computer, then import it into a word doc or save it to your phone....
Chris who has navigation on his cell but who still likes paper....

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Mo's Irish pub was great but due to major rock concert and associated street fair, (Four buses without windows and then the moving vans) it was crowded and noisey. Rock Bottom Brewery still had the best beer.