Australia
*kicks thread up onto the first page*

Brendan at Lombardia!

Australian times:

SP - Friday 1:55am
FS - Saturday 7:30pm

GF2445

Record Breaker
I really love this SP, one of my favourites from all the men we have seen so far this season.

What I appreciate the most about this program is that is the most mature SP he and his team has ever produced, while at the same time, the music is very true to Brendan. What I mean by that is that they decided to select a more mature piece that was still modern (I don't think I have ever seen in recent years of Brendan doing a program to classical music.). The orchestration of the arrangement is fantastic too, with its cinematic feel- its dramatic and to the point. Mark Pillay, his SP choreographer also made a great comment of the premise of this SP to Everybody Wants to Rule the World.

“Essentially, the theme somewhat parallels Brendan position in the world of figure skating. He’s climbing the ladder amongst several other competitors that are clawing their way to the top. I felt the concept really worked for Brendan and it was an idea we both could get behind, plus the orchestration is incredible, so it felt very fitting to use in an Olympic season,” Pillay explained.

“This year, Brendan came to me and said, ‘I want to change the way I skate’, and I really respect Brendan for that.”

“Last year we saw how well he could handle character pieces, but even though he knew he was good at it and that it would be a safe choice, he didn’t want to go in that direction. He wanted to develop more depth in his skating – and that is what we’re trying to do in his new short program.”

I also love how this season (more in the free program), is how he is making an attempt to use more lean from left to right, as opposed to staying on axis.

“Usually when I skate I have a very bad habit of remaining on axis no matter I do, but the way Nikolai is teaching me the program, there’s more extreme lean, using core strength and balance to maintain the position.”
“It’s very different how Nikolai goes about choreography. I feel like you tell people to do a rocker turn, but to Nikolai it’s not just how you do a rocker but that you could do it in a million different positions. He pushes the boundaries. Doing a rocker like everyone else isn’t good enough.”

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oi Oi Oi! No rest for the wicked, he's back on deck this weekend in Slovakia!

Australian times
SP - Friday 12:15am - 3:00am
FS - Sunday 3:00am-6:20am

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Lets hope for a great skate and the judges will be kinder to him this time, I could feel your saltiness after last weekend Karne ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Lets hope for a great skate and the judges will be kinder to him this time, I could feel your saltiness after last weekend Karne ;)

I was unloading all of the salt.

A little disappointed as last week's SP would have had him lead here, but I'm sure he's even more disappointed. And he's right in the group that are all bunched up around 74-80 so there's lots of chances for the FS.

GF2445

Record Breaker
good job for a second bronze!!
It's hard doing back to back competitions, but its good practice.
Can't wait to see him and a clean 4T at Skate Canada

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
good job for a second bronze!!
It's hard doing back to back competitions, but its good practice.
Can't wait to see him and a clean 4T at Skate Canada

A second bronze! :cheer:Huge congrats to Brendan! It's so exciting seeing Aussie skaters go well. :biggrin: I hope he can keep up the great form.

And he'll be at Skate Canada? I'll have to make a note to watch it if I can - although all this streaming of skating competitions is using up my internet data at an alarming rate.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The skating season is the only reason I have 100GB a month.

Skate Canada, yes.

Super excited for two bronzes! What do you reckon the chances of that getting a run in the sports news is? (None and Buckley's, I daresay.)

GF2445

Record Breaker
The skating season is the only reason I have 100GB a month.

Skate Canada, yes.

Super excited for two bronzes! What do you reckon the chances of that getting a run in the sports news is? (None and Buckley's, I daresay.)

He'll probably get a 90 second report when he comes back to Australia for nationals, and they will use his medal achievements to bulk their reports.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm sure he'll get that this weekend. God, I'm so excited. I have such a great feeling about it. But I'm trying to be restrained. Tough field in Canada. But he can do this.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I'm sure he'll get that this weekend. God, I'm so excited. I have such a great feeling about it. But I'm trying to be restrained. Tough field in Canada. But he can do this.

If all goes well, he can be as high as 6th, down to 9th. But he needs top 8 to earn World Ranking Points.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Skate Canada Men's times! AEDT!

SP: Sat 28th, 1100-1230
FS: Sun 29th, 0950-1145

Brendan should skate 5th in the first group, if the ranking math is right.