On Site Reports: Your experience SkAm 2015 | Page 14 | Golden Skate

On Site Reports: Your experience SkAm 2015

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I expect (ex)skaters sometimes just turn up because they want to watch the sport they love too. Some may be working, but others could just be there to watch, no?

Interesting comment. I would think that also but at the 15-20 major events I have attended, its pretty rare unless it is Brian B. or someone else with time and funds. Many "ex" skaters have new careers and new lives
and are very happy in them....they still love skating but the $750-$1500 cost and the five days off are issues for every fan....

grantrf98

On the Ice
That's because no one recognized Mr. and Mrs. White with Charlie's new short hair! :) I think Mariah Bell rather enjoyed being "mobbed" in her seat but most fans were very respectful of the skaters. Satako could jog to her heart's content around the concourse and few bothered her....

I agree! I sat Section 204 Row 1. Just up a few stairs at Section 205 Row 3 or 4 sat around five skaters, including Yulia L. and Ksenia S.!!! Although they left during intermissions, probably to avoid large crowds, they were not actually mobbed at all, even with Yulia's popularity. At most, 8 people were there to greet them. Even though it would have been nice to have a larger audience supporting the skaters, a smaller crowd might allow skaters to sit in the audience cheering on their fellow athletes just like the rest of us (this was my first live event, so I don't know if skaters would be discouraged to do that in a packed house).

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I agree! I sat Section 204 Row 1. Just up a few stairs at Section 205 Row 3 or 4 sat around five skaters, including Yulia L. and Ksenia S.!!! Although they left during intermissions, probably to avoid large crowds, they were not actually mobbed at all, even with Yulia's popularity. At most, 8 people were there to greet them. Even though it would have been nice to have a larger audience supporting the skaters, a smaller crowd might allow skaters to sit in the audience cheering on their fellow athletes just like the rest of us (this was my first live event, so I don't know if skaters would be discouraged to do that in a packed house).

At many events, credentialed folk have their own designated section, but many sit with the audience....and yes, they run for a safe zone during breaks so they arent mobbed...here is a pic of Brian B. starting to get mobbed....the lady to my left didnt believe me that was BB till fans started to come up....then her eyes got big as plates! LOL! When BB got up to leave, I said, "Run, Brian, Run!" He laughed and said, "Really!" And off he went...Todd E. is pretty quick on his feet but many times he doesnt make it to the top the stairs in time! :)
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/CoyoteChris303/media/skating/BB.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just got home. Milwaukee was a nicer city than I imagine (sorry I always prepare for the worst). I also nodded off during some of the practice sessions but I love every minute of it. Saw lots of skaters around on the street even though I did not stay at the official hotel and went for a cheaper option. Beautiful costumes are even more so in person than on TV.

Leaving Milwaukee on the same plane with Max! He sat in the first row like a Gold Medalist does. :p

I see very few skaters and coaches sitting in first class over the years, but I am told that folks with lots of flying miles can upgrade or get upgraded and dont have to pay the major fees for first class...at any rate, he deserves it....( on the down side, donating your flying miles to athletes with some airlines can be costly.....as I found out before I attempted it..... :(

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
A most excellent report. I am reminded of hearing Dick B. state upon occasion that MK lost the Oly gold....when, as she stated herself, she didnt loose the gold, WON the silver. We can argue till the cows come home if MK really lost the Oly Gold or was cheated out of it, but I am a DB fan and I have tons of respect for GG, and MK is right and Gracie is wonderful...and she won the Silver. It is interesting that under the old scoring system, The tables would have been turned on the winners of the Ladies at SA and SC.....