On Site Reports: Your experience SkAm 2015 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

On Site Reports: Your experience SkAm 2015

dooliegirl

Spectator
Evgenia started the practice by sliding into the boards hard and making a loud thud. Eteri was hugging her for a bit. Thought she might've looked hurt but guess it was worse than it looked/sounded, she didn't seem any worse for wear when her music started. Loudest applause of her group, people were clapping after jumping passes, guess the tano doesn't bother them. ;)

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear she wasn't hurt!
Any word on Yulia?

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
How about Tursynbaeva? Looking at tweets she seems to have had good run through ! what are your impressions? :D

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
How about Tursynbaeva? Looking at tweets she seems to have had good run through :cheees: what are your impressions? :D

I like her, she's on the podium in my predictions after all. ;) I never realised just how incredibly tiny she is. She makes Gracie look huge! And speaking of Gracie, she's the only skater to land jumps about 4 feet in front of me. I know there's a board in between us, but still scares the crap out me to see it coming! :eek:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I like her, she's on the podium in my predictions after all. ;) I never realised just how incredibly tiny she is. She makes Gracie look huge! And speaking of Gracie, she's the only skater to land jumps about 4 feet in front of me. I know there's a board in between us, but still scares the crap out me to see it coming! :eek:

Knowing how much Gracie loves boards i think you have every right to be scared haha

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Came back to the hotel, rode the elevator up with Alexa/Chris and Chartrand. Also, I may be on the same floor as Jason, because I just ran into him in the fitness centre. ;) Dude never rests I guess.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear she wasn't hurt!
Any word on Yulia?

Yulia's runthrough seemed fine. To be honest, I wasn't watching her 100% of the time during her music since so much else was happening... I wouldn't say there is any cause for concern about tommorrow with her. Her movements are nice but her FS music isn't my favorite, I even prefer her SP by a mile this season so far.

:laugh2: That's why I think she looks more junior than many junior ladies out there.

Right, it probably shouldn't affect her scores, but the size is so obvious against all the other skaters.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Had a long conversation with Ted Barton. I asked him about streaming and YouTube (of course) -- he cuts all the individual JGP videos himself while doing live commentary! :eek:

I let him know how much people appreciate his commentary and how he doesn't speak over the skater performances. He said: "Oh, I would never do that!" :laugh:

Thanks for letting him know how much we loved his JGP work. Fingers crossed I get to see him

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thanks for letting him know how much we loved his JGP work. Fingers crossed I get to see him

Ted said he would be there for the entire competition, so you might. But he is doing data input work for the rest of the competition so he may not be quite as easy to find on Friday and Saturday. He was in a suit today, if that helps.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Apologies for the multiple messages, it's a lot easier to type now that I'm not on a mobile phone anymore...

Dave from TSL is a super nice guy in-person, almost makes me want to take back the occasional smack I talk about TSL.

They said they did a lot of interviews today. Without thinking, I said, "Are they all American skaters?" (wasn't trying to be smart with that one)... but he said, yes, they were... :laugh: but they were planning on doing more tomorrow. And they are livestreaming tonight from Jenny's hotel room, for those who are interested.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts. I always find it so interesting how much you can learn watching a live practice. And how much you can't.

firal

Record Breaker
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought rink is cold; had to wear scarf and gloves. Nice padding on the seats though!

I have to say that overall I think the ladies need to step up to the plate; I was very impressed with all the disciplines, even skaters that I wasn't that familiar with, but the ladies in general are a bit sloppier and less ready to complete, IMHO. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong come tomorrow!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Apologies for the multiple messages, it's a lot easier to type now that I'm not on a mobile phone anymore...

Dave from TSL is a super nice guy in-person, almost makes me want to take back the occasional smack I talk about TSL.

They said they did a lot of interviews today. Without thinking, I said, "Are they all American skaters?" (wasn't trying to be smart with that one)... but he said, yes, they were... :laugh: but they were planning on doing more tomorrow. And they are livestreaming tonight from Jenny's hotel room, for those who are interested.

I met Dave and Jenny too - they are both really nice!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought rink is cold; had to wear scarf and gloves. Nice padding on the seats though!

Yes, I think there were questions about that. The padding on nearly all the seats is unbelievable for a venue of this type! You won't need to bring your own type of padding.

Unless you're in the VIP section (first few rows opposite the judges)... they are using folding chairs there, which are slightly padded... though not very VIP... :mad:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, today's report! Lots of first day jitter gremlins in the arena today, but here are a few standouts for me. If mens were judged on artistry alone, Jason took the day, hands down. In ladies, Evgenia gave us all a scare as reported, but she came on strong and sheis a comer for sure. I enjoyed Miyu as she was the only one who looked happy to be here ;) Julia has grown bigger fast but hasnt lost her jumps. Gracie still looks to me like she needs more self confidence (I should talk. Where do I get some?) Dance. C/B were great, but Yanovskaya/Mozgov are a team to watch. Sui and Han have grown up. Didnt recognize her with the new doo. Is it me or does Alexa look under weight?
The arena is fine. Drinking fountains, good pitch, bathrooms, no real food yet. I can recommend the Rock bottom brewery for price, quality of food , and beer. And good atmoshere. Lots more friends showed up. But couldn't find anyone to go to dinner with! Better luck tomarrow. OH, THE SEATS ARE PADDED,

yyyskate

Record Breaker
report from my fresh memory:
Han always on deep deep edges, quiet, neat skating, jumping pass textbookly beautiful, air position tight straight like a pencil! 3LZ-3T, fly half rink (seriously)! LP ran through just marked, changed LP ending, looked focus.
Soma dids lots of jumps, landed most of them. condition looks really good this time! In person he did NOT look as small as I assumed.
Jason, LOVE his FS run-though, those acrobatic poses incorporated into this program. Just beeeeautiful! The best I have seen him live. Jumps a little smallers(or lack of attack) compared to other men.
Denis music Tangoish but not quit Tango at the same time (quite unique). felt flat(not as impressive as I saw him at last SA live). Fab skating skills and great stsq as usual though!
Alaine, amazing SP run through (marked the jump), Easily the best choreo and performance of that group (hope she can bring this level of performance with jumps)
Evgenia doing -3t-3t on everything!!! Speed is faster than I thought.
YuliaLip, did first 3 jumping passes no problem, didnot do the rest of her program that much, still flutz(and Evgenia too), seems skating around the rink quite a lot.
Elizabet, really small,tiny in person, seems juniorer than junior. She is sorta shadowed by other "senior" ladies.
Karen fast!! skating big, did 3LZ-3T and a new combo, a sandwich jump of a sort. Liked her 2A, changed back to counter entry. choreo seems changed a little? My first live impression of Karen is lovely, She didnot do her final spin, and marked the spin, but at the same time. change her hands/body position a little to go with music phrasing!:p
Satoko, did SP, which is one of my fav this season, but her live SP left me feel a little flat. Her skating skills is not as prominent/impactful in person than on screen, and unfortunately has the smallest jump of all.
Mariah, landed 3F-3T! program not as impressive as Jason's that is what I gonna say, but tall young lady with ice presence (only smaller than Gracie). nice spins!, also Jason seems changed his spins a little? Jason very impressive spin!
SoYoun, seems has problems with jumps, always has problem with -3T, beautiful Red Violin music, very effective to hear in the rink. lovely skater, She also practiced SP stsq a bit, cute.
Gracie, easily the biggest ice presence of them all. seems always jump close to board! really nice fire bird program. little details throughout the program. love to watch it live.

That's about it on top of my head. if you wanna know my impression about specific skater that I did not mention above or any other questions, just ask me:biggrin: