2015 Skate America Ladies FS Oct 24 | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Ladies FS Oct 24

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Radionova was a two time junior world champion with gorgeous artistry and program, but got 62 pcs last year in SA with a better performance (and no falls). Evgenia is lovely, but her score was the ultimate definition of overscoring.
I will say it again... so were Gracie's PCS. If you give Gracie almost 69, then, assuming you want to get the placement right, you will overscore the next skater as well...

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I will say it again... so were Gracie's PCS. If you give Gracie almost 69, then, assuming you want to get the placement right, you will overscore the next skater as well...

If that's the case, wouldn't it be more right not to call it overscoring if the placements are right

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Radionova was a two time junior world champion with gorgeous artistry and program, but got 62 pcs last year in SA with a better performance (and no falls). Evgenia is lovely, but her score was the ultimate definition of overscoring.

I wouldn't say that Elena's PCS from SA are superior to Evgenia's from this competition. The posture, no rush moves..Medvedeva and her coach play PCS game quite well, so Evgenia looked stronger than Elena last year

Country
Russia
69PCS for Gold. Mordovia is calling!!!!
Let us compare score of Anna in Mordovia and Gracie at SA "if both make less mistakes".

Anna = 214.07 + 1.30 (*1) = 215.37
Gracie = 202.80 + 6.45 (*2) + 1.00(*3) + 3.91(*4) = 214.16
We see, difference is only 1.21 - normal for the same skating at different competitions.

*1 = 1.30 lost by Anna in GOE for shaky 3Lz+3T in SP (Anna had even higher GOE in FS, 1.30 - Gracie's in SP).
*2 = 6.45 = 5.94 for Anna's 3Lo in SP plus 0.51 bonus because Gracie's solo jump is in 2nd half (Gracie jumped 3Lo in SP past season, so may do it).
*3 = 1.00 - difference in score for CCoSp in SP between Anna and Gracie because Gracie lost one position.
*4 = 3.91 - difference between score for 3S in second half with addition for GOE 0.50 (4.84+0.5=5.34) and actual 1.43 for 2S in FS.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Yeah, that was a personal best PCS for her. I know it's Skate America and all, but her program (while better than programs she's put out in the past) did not merit PCS that high. I'd have had her around 65 and Evgenia around 63.

Leonardo

Final Flight
I wouldn't say that Elena's PCS from SA are superior to Evgenia's from this competition. The posture, no rush moves..Medvedeva and her coach play PCS game quite well, so Evgenia looked stronger than Elena last year

Elena's projection, interpretation and musicality are amazing. Her posture has problems, but the skating quality is not worse than Evgenia's, and she got 62, so did Liza . Anyway, 67 is a travesty, people should stop trying to justify the unjustifiable. She even got +2 for a step sequence with a stumble. If Mao gets 75, then it would be ok. But we know it's not going to happen. Even in Japan Open the judges gave Mao only a 3 point advantage in pcs in comparison to Adelina and 4 in comparison to Lisa with a fall. Pcs are politics and reputation, and we know (at least since Sochi) that the russians can play that game QUITE well.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Politics aside, Russian girls deserve their places because they ARE strong. Even if people say too many times how politics make them win, it still won't make it true, 'cause it's NOT.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Both Evgeniya and Gracie had big pcs scores one could argue about. What is hard to argue with is the final placement. It has to be an outrageous lack of objectivity to claim that either Gracie or Satoko should have won this. Then let's congratulate the winners and move on to the next stage.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Final placements are fair, but scores are important as well, especially in ISU official competitions.

moriel

Record Breaker
Elena's projection, interpretation and musicality are amazing. Her posture has problems, but the skating quality is not worse than Evgenia's, and she got 62, so did Liza . Anyway, 67 is a travesty, people should stop trying to justify the unjustifiable. She even got +2 for a step sequence with a stumble. If Mao gets 75, then it would be ok. But we know it's not going to happen. Even in Japan Open the judges gave Mao only a 3 point advantage in pcs in comparison to Adelina and 4 in comparison to Lisa with a fall. Pcs are politics and reputation, and we know (at least since Sochi) that the russians can play that game QUITE well.
Or, even simplier... Gracie got 69 PCS, which is a travesty, and then Eugenia skated as well as / better than Gracie, so judges couldnt go all te way down to the correct value =)

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I HATE Karen Chen's music cut!!!!! If you're going to do Les Mis, either don't use vocals or use ALL the lyrics of the song(s) you choose. It's SO DISTRACTING to hear the OBVIOUS skipped lyrics! I love Karen, but this LP music is awful. I would scrap the vocals since any "skipping" is less obvious with instrumental music. And I hope she can get it together and mentally recover from her boot issues. She has so much potential!

I don't like Julia's LP at all. So boring. She just looks incredibly uninterested in skating at the moment. And the jumps are just not good.

I like Satoko's LP. It was my favorite from the final group.

I feel like whenever Gracie skates, she could be skating to any music. Her Firebird isn't fiery enough yet, IMO. She's not "connected" to the music, even though she says she loves this program. It's like she's thinking the whole time, "I must not fall" and is so nervous that she just goes through the motions. This is a MUCH better LP than last season, but still blah. I started to enjoy it in the last minute or so. Good skate for her though and hopefully she can improve as the season goes on.

Johnny said that Gracie is better artistically than Evgenia. I disagree. I enjoyed Evgenia's program more than Gracie's even though she's younger. There seemed to be more purpose and flow in her movement. And, as Johnny said, "her jumps are pristine."

I HATE Karen Chen's music cut!!!!! If you're going to do Les Mis, either don't use vocals or use ALL the lyrics of the song(s) you choose. It's SO DISTRACTING to hear the OBVIOUS skipped lyrics! I love Karen, but this LP music is awful. I would scrap the vocals since any "skipping" is less obvious with instrumental music. And I hope she can get it together and mentally recover from her boot issues. She has so much potential!

I think the music cuts will seem less jarring when she gets the timing down. This was my favorite performance of the night, but she was a tad off on several of the music cues.

As for the singing, I don't really like vocals very much at all. I find myself straining to hear the words rather than letting the performance just flow along.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^Karen's LM stsq was really good in practice! The lady's stsq I loved Gracie's FS/SP, Karen's LM in practice, Alaine's SP stsq in practice.
Gracie's stsq has tons of details, very sophisticated to execute well, but she did.

indicatoto101

On the Ice
Both Evgeniya and Gracie had big pcs scores one could argue about. What is hard to argue with is the final placement. It has to be an outrageous lack of objectivity to claim that either Gracie or Satoko should have won this. Then let's congratulate the winners and move on to the next stage.

Scores generally go up as the season progresses when a skater is seen as a contender and very consistent with their jumps/performance. The overscoring of Gracie Gold and Evegniya may lead to even more overscoring later in the season.

It's not odd to me that skaters with great basics get high PCS (e.g., Gold, Mao, Kostner) because judges mark the other components similar to how they mark SS it seems. What's odd is that skaters from a certain country seem to get inflated component scores despite deserving them.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Evgenia! Not perfect, but deserved win, and definitely the best across both programs. Her programs aren't the most memorable, but they are beautiful to watch and she performs them well. :)

I admit I'm not a fan of Gracie's program--the choreography is a little too flappy/avian/literal, while Gracie herself seems fairly expressionless--but it was a strong skate.

The scores indeed are very high--especially for this early in the season, and compared to what they were last year--but the placements were correct. No need to panic until they actually compete against Mao.