2015 Skate Canada Pairs Short Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate Canada Pairs Short Program

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
It wasn't D/R's best performance tonight, but still good. I might be crazy, but I'm in love with this SP. Hope to see it clean soon :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Finally got to watch all of these. Unfortunately I agree with some others- there is not a single one I'd want to watch again.

Duhamel/Radford and Tarasova/Mozorov: Solid ish skates, but we've seen them be so much better.

MT/M: Improved a lot but still nothing special. I continue to fear for her during the lifts.

Castelli/Tran: Probably the best I've seen that program but the music makes my ears bleed and it's also nothing special. They should be proud of their effort though.

Bazarova/Deputat: SBS jumps remain hopeless, the rest was pleasant but just like elevator music there's no chance you remember it even immediately after.

Moarhei/Hotarek: A huge disappointment to me because I expected more- they gelled really quickly last season but in this program it was very evident to me that they really are still a new team whereas I'd hoped to see improvements from last season. I actually liked their music though, putting me solidly in the minority from what I gather :biggrin:

Ziegler/Kiefer: The only program I thought was genuinely 'fun' here but their technical difficulty obviously isn't what it needs to be for them to break through to the next level, no matter how fun the program. If I had to watch one again it would actually probably be this one, but they've already done it better this season so I think I'd go watch that version instead :)

Grenier/Deschamps: I literally just wanted this program to be over at 15 seconds in, and my feeling unfortunately never changed.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I like Eric's new style. Normally I'm not for mustache, but it works for him, just as it worked for the French ice dancer Cizeron.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
We'll see, but I doubt anyone will be getting that level of scoring. Of course, scores need to be adjusted accordingly when all three are skating in the same competition...

Just a question: whenever a skater(s) is on home ice, do you *ever* take their PCS scores as legitimate? Or do you just go into it with the pre-conceived assumption that they will be the recipient of home inflated scores?

Like, it feels like some people have drafted up the "Overscored home inflation!" post for home skaters, and hit Submit as soon as their marks come up. :rolleye:

I'm so thankful Chan's records were scored at TEB, because you know we wouldn't hear the end of it had they been earned at Skate Canada.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Just a question: whenever a skater(s) is on home ice, do you *ever* take their PCS scores as legitimate? Or do you just go into it with the pre-conceived assumption that they will be the recipient of home inflated scores?

Like, it feels like some people have drafted up the "Overscored home inflation!" post for home skaters, and hit Submit as soon as their marks come up. :rolleye:

I'm so thankful Chan's records were scored at TEB, because you know we wouldn't hear the end of it had they been earned at Skate Canada.

I said I thought their components were fair here. Lol I take NHK scores seriously since Japan does not give out gifts to its own skaters...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I said I thought their components were fair here. Lol I take NHK scores seriously since Japan does not give out gifts to its own skaters...

Well, it certainly gives gifts to certain members of its own team - just ask Akiko how she feels about being robbed NHK to Mao. I will say Japanese scoring is probably the fairest because in general Japan exhibits the greatest sportsmanship and humility, and fairness is ingrained in their culture. But it's incorrect to say Japan doesn't ever give gifts to their skaters.

Hanyu was pretty gifted at the GPF (which he still definitely deserved to win) in the Olympic season, with his freeskate PCS jumping over 10 points from TEB (http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpfra2013/gpfra2013_Men_FS_Scores.pdf) to the GPF (http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf1314/gpf1314_Men_FS_Scores.pdf) -- it seems the difference of doing a singled quad as a clean quad adds 10 points to your components scores. And this was a very deliberate boost leading up to the Olympics allowing for a higher PCS "threshold" for Hanyu (which of course we saw in the Russian girls too)... 2 major errors at TEB = 81.94 PCS... 2 major errors at Sochi = 90.98 PCS... and, while Hanyu did somewhat improve the FS from TEB to Sochi, that boost was largely thanks to the PCS boost he got at the GPF in Japan (same reason Lipnitskaia got such high PCS in Sochi because she got a huge PCS boost at Euros, albeit not on home ice like Hanyu's boost, so even with a flawed skate in Sochi, her PCS was way higher than her PCS for a clean skate at Skate Canada earlier in the season).

Last edited: