2015 IceChallenge Men SP and FS | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015 IceChallenge Men SP and FS

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why does it seem every Johnny or Tara is better at being Johnny and Tara than Johnny and Tar themselves? I like this guy... can we keep him. I want him and Ted Barton to team up. They would be a killer straight man funny man duo!

Speaking of Barton.....he was at Skate America last week and apparently according to the ISU results page, he was the replay operator. And I was excited that he was there.....seriously, he does great commentary.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I looked upp Dmitriev's personal best: 73.39 Nebelhorn Trophy 2013.
Well done here!

Yes, the Russian men are really stepping up.

Just consider for a moment that Kovtun currently has the LOWEST SP out of the Russian men in international competition so far. So crazy!

ETA: Obvously there are skaters (i.e. juniors) who are below's Kovtun's score, but I guess I mean the seniors....Besides Menshov and Voronov -- Dmitriev and Kolyada also have scored above him as well. Also Dmitri Aliev in juniors.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I looked upp Dmitriev's personal best: 73.39 Nebelhorn Trophy 2013.
Well done here!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why does it seem every Johnny or Tara is better at being Johnny and Tara than Johnny and Tar themselves? I like this guy... can we keep him. I want him and Ted Barton to team up. They would be a killer straight man funny man duo!

I just wish Johnny and Tara would show up as the Johnny and Tara who commentated for MSNBC at Sochi.

If someone thinks they're doing better at attracting a mainstream audience now that they're the official NBC coverage, I think they're quite wrong.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I just wish Johnny and Tara would show up as the Johnny and Tara who commentated for MSNBC at Sochi.

If someone thinks they're doing better at attracting a mainstream audience now that they're the official NBC coverage, I think they're quite wrong.

:thumbsup: I honestly think their commentating has become almost shameful.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yes, the Russian men are really stepping up.

Just consider for a moment that Kovtun currently has the LOWEST SP out of the Russian men in international competition so far. So crazy!

There are quite a few men now in the mix...Kostya, Adian, Gordei, Sasha Petrov, Sergei, Dmitri, Moris, Kovtun, + the guys here. Nationals will be super interesting this year.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I'm afraid I can't disagree. I have never been a JW fan, but I actually think he's doing better (except when he gets an attack of green-eyed monster when one of the men does well) than Tara. Tara can't seem to see anything except through the lens of competition: competition nerves, competition strategy, how they're doing compared to others.

:hijacked:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There are quite a few men now in the mix...Kostya, Adian, Gordei, Sasha Petrov, Sergei, Dmitri, Moris, Kovtun, + the guys here. Nationals will be super interesting this year.

Yes, I forgot a few....in any case, Kovtun's score in the SP was below all those guys except Petrov (who will probably beat it at SC tomorrow).

Although I kinda like Kovtun's SP. :slink:

Layback11

Record Breaker

Anyone think it might eclipse the ladies event? That would be unexpected! :popcorn:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

I wonder how much is pressure from higher up powers that be they are under now that they are official. I agree they have changed and in a weird way. I do wonder how much is them being told what to do by someone with more power than knowledge of figure skating.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yes, I forgot a few....in any case, Kovtun's score in the SP was below all those guys except Petrov (who will probably beat it at SC tomorrow).

Although I kinda like Kovtun's SP. :slink:

I like Kovtun's FS...these things happen. :laugh: I also forgot about Artur Gachinski...don't know where he will rank, but my expectations are pretty low, unfortunately.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

YES... now mens US and Russian championships will be very very interesting. Big exciting question though: will any of these guys win a world medal?

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder how much is pressure from higher up powers that be they are under now that they are official. I agree they have changed and in a weird way. I do wonder how much is them being told what to do by someone with more power than knowledge of figure skating.

Good point; I agree. It just makes me angry when that happens. The power people sometimes really do great work on ruining what was good.

deetrakt

Rinkside
I admit finding Ryan T. embarrassingly clueless--referring to Kori Ade as "that lady next to Jason" and apparently unaware that Artur Dimitriev is the son of the great pairs skater (I believe the only man ever to win 2 Olympic gold medals with 2 different partners). Different strokes for different folks, i guess.

Both Artur Senior and Junior have kind of a Cro-Magnon on-ice persona, but I found Senior a lot more enjoyable to watch, possibly because of his sublime partnering.

PS This is the best I've seen Artur junior skate. He seems to have slimmed down and smoothed out some of the rough edges. He always could jump but wasn't always this consistent.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
YES... now mens US and Russian championships will be very very interesting. Big exciting question though: will any of these guys win a world medal?

Maybe not this year but I think a few of them have the potential, especially Dmitri, though he is still a junior.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the fact the men are somewhat unpredictable makes it more fun to watch. Same with pairs. I think ladies and ice dance have become a bit boring for me cause it seems things are stitched up as far as scoring thresholds.