US World/Junior World Team Predictions | Golden Skate

US World/Junior World Team Predictions

Layback11

Record Breaker
Based on the similar thread about the Russian team...in any or all disciplines, junior or senior, who do you think will make the Worlds/JW/4CC team?

Reminder: spot allotment at senior worlds is three ladies, three men, three dance teams, and two pairs. Spot allotment at junior worlds is two ladies, two men, three dance teams, three pairs.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Guesses? I don't follow pairs...

JW:

Men: Chen, Zhou, Kranozothon.

Ladies: Le, Rydberg? (McIssac, Tennell, Chan... maybe even Chen?)

Ice Dance: McNamara/Carpenter, Parsons/Parsons, Carriera/Pomonerenko.

Worlds:

Men: (No clue.) Brown, Aaron... Farris?

Ladies: Gold, Wagner, Edmunds.

Ice Dance: Chock/Bates, Shibutani/Shibutani, Hawayek/Baker or Hubbell/Donahue.

4CC:

Men: Still no clue.

Ladies: Edmunds, Chen, Hicks

Ice Dance: Hawayek/Baker, Hubbell/Donahue, Cannusico/McManus.

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
I don't follow the other disciplines enough to make predictions, but it would appear that for the Men it's Brown and Aaron and Mr Who Knows for the third spot. I'm inclined to say Rippon at this point.

ETA I hope you're right about Dance Invisiblespiral: I would love to see Cannuscio/McManus at 4CC!

Last edited:

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
Senior Worlds:

Men: Aaron, Brown, Rippon
Ladies: Wagner, Gold, Chen (???)
Pairs: Scimeca/Knierim, Castelli/Tran
Dance: Shibuanis, Chock/Bates, Hubbell/Donohue

Junior Worlds:
Men: Chen, Zhou, Kranozothon.
Ladies: Le, McIsaac
Pairs: Liu/Johnson, Weinberg/Fernandez, Weinstein/Simon
Dance: McNamara/Carpenter, Parsons/Parsons, Carriera/Ponomerenko

FCC:
Mens: Aaron, Brown, Chen
Ladies: Gold, Chen, Edmunds
Pairs: Scimeca/Knierim, Kayne/O'Shea, Castelli/Tran
Dance: Chock/Bates, Shibutanis, and Hawayek/Baker

slider11

Medalist
Goin' crazy....
Ladies 1. Gold 2. Nagasu 3. Wagner
Men 1. Rippon 2. Brown 3. Aaron
Pairs 1. Castelli/Tran 2. Scimeca and Knierim
Dance 1. Shibs 2. Chock/Bates 3. Hawayek/Baker

Layback11

Record Breaker
If USFSA did what it should do and sent separate teams to worlds and 4CC, I think it would be:

WORLDS

Ladies: Le Unprincessed Gracie :biggrin:, Le Diva Wagner, Le Tiny Queen Karen
Men: Le "Snugglebat" aka Max (that one was for karne :p), Le Newly-Quadded Jason, Le hopefully-not-concussed Josh
Dance: Le Obvious C/B, Le Shibs Immortal, Le Not-A-Lock-But-I-Love-Them-So-I'll-Take-My-Chances H/B
Pairs: Le S/K II (of the two S/K pairs), Le Please-Heal-Fast D/F

4CC:

Men: Le Almost-Junior Nathan, Le Barely-Missed-The-Team Adam, Le Headcase Ricky
Ladies: Le Surprise! Angela, Le Courtney, Le GS Darling Mariah :) OR Le Redemption, Finally! Mirai
Dance: Le Wah-wah-waaaaah #MissedOut H/D, Le Awesome Beethoven Impersonators C/McM, Le Shocker-Of-A-Lifetime T/E
Pairs: Le Redemption-Or-Bust K/O, Le Mervissa, Le Faves A/S

JUNIOR WORLDS
Ladies: Le My Junior Precious Vivian, Le Demoted-To-Juniors Amber
Men: Le Obvious Nathan, Le Also Obvious Vincent
Dance: Le Totally-Gonna-Take-The-Title McN/C, Le Totally-Gonna-Almost-Take-The-Title Parsons, Le Awesome Underdogs Who Don't Get No Lurv P/B :p :luv17:
Pairs: Hmm...Le Breakout Stars of JGP Colorado W/F, Le I Still Love Them Despite Dismal JGP Skates W/S, Le Not As Good As Last Year L/J

Last edited:

ArcticMonkeys

On the Ice
Senior Worlds:
Men: Aaron, Brown, Chen
Ladies: Gold, Wagner, Chen
Dance: Shibutanis, Chock/Bates, Hubbell/Donohue

Junior Worlds:
Men: Zhou, Kranozothon, Hiwatashi
Ladies: Le, Tennel, Glenn
Pairs: Liu/Johnson, Weinberg/Fernandez, Weinstein/Simon
Dance: McNamara/Carpenter, Parsons/Parsons, Carriera/Ponomerenko

4CC:
Mens: Rippon, Farris, Chen
Ladies: Edmunds, Chen, Hicks
Pairs: Scimeca/Knierim, Kayne/O'Shea, Castelli/Tran
Dance: Hubbell/Donohue, Shibutanis, and Hawayek/Baker

graciegoldfan17

On the Ice
Worlds
Men: Aaron, Brown, Chen
Ladies: Gold, Wagner, Hicks/Edmunds
Dance: Shibutanis, Chock/Bates, Hubell/Donohue

4CC:
Mens: Rippon, Farris, Chen
Ladies: Hicks/Edmunds, Chen, Nagasu

musicfan80

Medalist
Worlds
Men: Aaron, Brown, Rippon
Ladies: Gold, Wagner, Edmunds

4CC:
Mens: Aaron, Rippon, Holstein
Ladies: Edmunds, Hicks, Chen

I think we need to assume (until we hear from him and his team) that Farris won't be competing at U.S. Nationals. I really don't know why they are taking so long to put out the press release. As much as I love his skating, his health and proper recovery back to skating is WAY more important.

I also want to put Nagasu somewhere for the ladies, but I have a gut feeling that this Nationals is really do-or-die for Mirai.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think we need to assume (until we hear from him and his team) that Farris won't be competing at U.S. Nationals. I really don't know why they are taking so long to put out the press release. As much as I love his skating, his health and proper recovery back to skating is WAY more important.

One theory i have heard is that it could affect his TeamUSA status/access to the Olympic Training Center, with it training and rehab options. I would hate that to be true (that he has to keep his mouth shut to not get kicked out) but if that is how it works, I am fully behind doing this. He got injured training - he should be able to have access to those options for healing regardless of if he ever trains again.

I don't think we will see him at nationals... I was kinda hoping he would end up at Golden Spin, but as that did not happen, I am not sure he will be in a condition that it would be worth it to go to Nationals rather than heal.

musicfan80

Medalist
One theory i have heard is that it could affect his TeamUSA status/access to the Olympic Training Center, with it training and rehab options. I would hate that to be true (that he has to keep his mouth shut to not get kicked out) but if that is how it works, I am fully behind doing this. He got injured training - he should be able to have access to those options for healing regardless of if he ever trains again.

I don't think we will see him at nationals... I was kinda hoping he would end up at Golden Spin, but as that did not happen, I am not sure he will be in a condition that it would be worth it to go to Nationals rather than heal.

That could be true - although if that is the reason, he is going to be blocked from the OTC in about a month from now anyway. I think taking time to heal should be #1 (or not the only) priority right now. Lord knows we could do a whole thread of skaters who really should have taken a season off from an injury. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Tim Goebel had taken either the 2003-2004 or 2004-2005 seasons off. Just one example.

We have no idea what his progress is and I don't want to assume anything until we hear it from him and his team themselves.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
That could be true - although if that is the reason, he is going to be blocked from the OTC in about a month from now anyway. I think taking time to heal should be #1 (or not the only) priority right now. Lord knows we could do a whole thread of skaters who really should have taken a season off from an injury. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Tim Goebel had taken either the 2003-2004 or 2004-2005 seasons off. Just one example.

We have no idea what his progress is and I don't want to assume anything until we hear it from him and his team themselves.

well a month is better than nothing i guess. Obviously this could just be gossip, but I think it plausible enough that I for one and am a little more inclined to think they may have a logical reason for the total silence.

musicfan80

Medalist
well a month is better than nothing i guess. Obviously this could just be gossip, but I think it plausible enough that I for one and am a little more inclined to think they may have a logical reason for the total silence.

To be fair, Christy Krall and Damon Allen have come across as extremely private about their students. You don't see them posting a lot on social media or anywhere else online like other coaches do (Tom Z., for example, or even as much as Kori Ade does).

Back to team predictions: I know I posted mine earlier, but I do wonder about ice dance - what are the odds that USFS would send the 4th or 5th place teams to 4CCs? I think Hubbell and Donahue should go cause they probably need the points for their world ranking so they can get into a later SD group (I'm assuming they will finish 3rd and go) at Worlds. Would USFS have C/B and the Shibs rest some and get ready for Worlds? I'm assuming both teams would definitely be in the last SD group.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I would love it if the USFSA sent Karen Chen to worlds :cheer: but it all depends on how the ladies event goes.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

This doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't it be the other way around? We should assume he will compete until he says otherwise. And I am quite convinced that if he knew for certain now that he would not be at Nationals he would have said so already.

WORLDS
Men: Aaron, Brown, Farris
Ladies: Wagner, Gold, Chen
Pairs: Scimeca/Knierim, Castelli/Tran (though I love Aaron/Settelage and would rather see them, they looked a bit out of sorts at their most recent competition)

4CCs
Men: Aaron, Farris, Dolensky
Ladies: Gold, Chen, Edumunds
Pairs: Scimeca/Knierim, Castelli/Tran, Aaron/Settelage

I don't know enough about the current US juniors except that Chen and Zhou will almost certainly be that men's team. (What a men's team!)

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
This doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't it be the other way around? We should assume he will compete until he says otherwise. And I am quite convinced that if he knew for certain now that he would not be at Nationals he would have said so already.

WORLDS
Men: Aaron, Brown, Farris
Ladies: Wagner, Gold, Chen
Pairs: Scimeca/Knierim, Castelli/Tran (though I love Aaron/Settelage and would rather see them, they looked a bit out of sorts at their most recent competition)

4CCs
Men: Aaron, Farris, Dolensky
Ladies: Gold, Chen, Edumunds
Pairs: Scimeca/Knierim, Castelli/Tran, Aaron/Settelage

I don't know enough about the current US juniors except that Chen and Zhou will almost certainly be that men's team. (What a men's team!)

Wouldn't Kayne and O'Shea be above Aaron & Settlage in the pecking order? They've come 4th at CoR, 6th at SA and won the US Classic and made the podium at Golden Spin at 3rd. Their PB is also around 20 points higher.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wouldn't Kayne and O'Shea be above Aaron & Settlage in the pecking order? They've come 4th at CoR, 6th at SA and won the US Classic and made the podium at Golden Spin at 3rd. Their PB is also around 20 points higher.

:palmf:

You can tell I don't pay attention to pairs. Of course they are.

musicfan80

Medalist

If this was one of those ankle sprains that he has historically had or something like Jason's back strain, I would agree with you. But a concussion is a completely different animal. Ugh - I need to stop sounding contradictory about this.

At this point, I have given up figuring this out until we hear from Josh and his team themselves. You could make a good argument either way about what his silence means right now. Josh has never posted a lot of social media about anything, much less how his training is going. And Christy/Damon have probably drawn a "you will be X% ready by this date" and I think we are past that right now. It's also very likely that something completed different is going on right now.

----------------------------------

Back to predictions - I know I posted mine earlier on here, but this is actually pretty hard. I think the 3rd spot for the men and women and the 2nd spot for the pairs is anyone's game. Heck, I am not even 100% sure that Gracie and Ashley will go 1-2 in some order.

I also really hope that USFS considers giving 2 men's/women's and 1 ice dance spots for 4CCs to some of the "not quite making the Worlds team" skaters. I do think that both pairs teams (S/K and whoever else) and Max Aaron really needs to go to 4CCs. I believe, with the Grand Prix final and Europeans, that Max is in real danger of not making the penultimate flight for the SP at Worlds. Which shouldn't but could affect his marks.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I also really hope that USFS considers giving 2 men's/women's and 1 ice dance spots for 4CCs to some of the "not quite making the Worlds team" skaters. I do think that both pairs teams (S/K and whoever else) and Max Aaron really needs to go to 4CCs. I believe, with the Grand Prix final and Europeans, that Max is in real danger of not making the penultimate flight for the SP at Worlds. Which shouldn't but could affect his marks.

S/K are at the GPF so they should be safe for the final group. Jason on the other hand may need to go to 4CC to stay in the final group given that he had to miss his second GP... Max at least got his second one point wise. I actually think we will see Jason at 4CC again... i could see Kori saying "ok 4S this year" as the 4T last year seemed to work. It give him an idea of what he needed to do, but did not shake his confidence for worlds/wtt.

Other than that I agree that i hope the give others chances, or rather that the top skaters don't feel they "need" the chances. How the Russian men do is a big factor Voronov and Kovtun could end up ahead of Max and Jason, or we may see three/two men below Max and Jason from Russia in the post season.

musicfan80

Medalist
S/K are at the GPF so they should be safe for the final group. Jason on the other hand may need to go to 4CC to stay in the final group given that he had to miss his second GP... Max at least got his second one point wise. I actually think we will see Jason at 4CC again... i could see Kori saying "ok 4S this year" as the 4T last year seemed to work. It give him an idea of what he needed to do, but did not shake his confidence for worlds/wtt.

Other than that I agree that i hope the give others chances, or rather that the top skaters don't feel they "need" the chances. How the Russian men do is a big factor Voronov and Kovtun could end up ahead of Max and Jason, or we may see three/two men below Max and Jason from Russia in the post season.

Do you think that S/K would need to go to 4CCs and win silver or bronze for the reputation reasons? I think they are definitely the top U.S. pair right now, but how tough will it be for them to crack the top five at Worlds?

I think Jason going to 4CCs will depend on how he feels after Nationals.