Hughes May Return | Golden Skate

Hughes May Return

Lcp88

On the Ice
I'm sorry if I'm goning to offended any major Sarah Hughes fans, but this girl should give it up. Really. To be feautered in a book featuring 100 greatest women athletes is a bit over the top. She had a great skate at the Olympics. But it was only that - ONE great skate. At almost any other event she wouldn't have made the podium, let alone win the gold. She just happened to be the best on the particular night, and the system worked. But she is no where near a great female athlete. All the publicity was fine for the first year, but we're nearing the next Olympics, as hard to believe as it is. She needs to move on, as does the media. Just MHO...
Laura

guinevere

Final Flight
It's great to see her interested in the sport again, I hope she does come back. Anyone want to guess who will coach her?

Frank Carroll?
Linda Leaver?
Alexei Yagudin?

I really can't see Sarah working with either Richard Callahan or John Nicks...

guinevere

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Lcp, I think that's rather harsh. I am no fan or Sarah's, but she was consistently coming up 3d, right behind Michelle and Irina, certainly making the podum.

With the competition as it is today, I don't think it's realistic for Sarah to have a shot at the Olympcics while continuing as a full time pre-med at Yale. Now, if she want to put her education on hold for now to concentrate on her skating full time -- that's a different story. Good luck to her then!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skating has changed a lot in the year since Sarah left. Sarah had the 3/3s, but much of the time they were cheated, and at 2003 Worlds, her flutz was the worst it had ever been. CoP will not be kind to Sarah.

Then there's her physical condition. She was out of shape at Worlds 2003, and finished 6th there. From recent photos, she is even more out of shape now. Just getting back into shape is going to be tough, let alone resuming training.

She has no coach, and I am sure the Cohens will not countenance sharing Robin with Sarah.

To make 2005 Nationals, she will have to go the Regional/Sectional route. A tall order.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I would enjoy seeing her give it another go. I think she wont really have a chance to be a contender for another olympic medal, but it would be good for the sport if she returned.

Her younger sister skates too right? Is she elite? I dont know much about her.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Sarah comes back this should bring some interesting upcoming events??? Just in time for the summer blahs.:laugh: :laugh:

Dee

bronxgirl

Medalist
I really think she would be making a mistake to give up Yale to go back to skating. One of the things I admired most about her was her willingness to go to college, get her education and show people that there is life after an OGM that doesn't involve hip replacements or pro skating. It's not so easy to go back into student mode at an elite school after taking time off (even if it is time off to retrain at an elite level). Bad move Sarah. :sheesh:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
The performance aspect is what I miss and the chance to express myself on the ice.

It doesn't say she is thinking of competing, although it doesn't rule that out. It could be she wants to just perform. I know pro skating is in a slump. Still, an American lady, who is an OGM, would get opportunities not available to most other pros. I hope she stays in school. It's so hard to go back later.

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Ice Wars, perhaps?

SusanBeth said:
It doesn't say she is thinking of competing, although it doesn't rule that out. It could be she wants to just perform. I know pro skating is in a slump. Still, an American lady, who is an OGM, would get opportunities not available to most other pros. I hope she stays in school. It's so hard to go back later.
Actually, the article's lead sentence is:
Olympic skating champion Sarah Hughes is considering a return to competition.
Now, it doesn't say ELIGIBLE competition, so she could be contemplating Ice Wars -- and a try at the SOI touring scene. Guess we'll have to just wait and see what, if anything, comes of this. Given all the glowing reports about Sarah's Yale experience, these quotes did come as a big surprise.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
I think Sarah could really draw crowds if she decided to join SOI or COI on a permanent basis. She says that she misses the performance aspect and the "chance to express myself on the ice." It would also be a great way for her to give back to the sport and would undoubtedly give pro skating a much needed shot in the arm. She could also compete in pro-ams against Michelle and Sasha, which would surely draw in viewers.

As far as returning to amateur skating, I'm skeptical. CoP will murder her cheated jumps and flutzing -- her GOE will be horrible. I could see her getting back in shape enough to do pro skating, but rebuilding her 2002 form would be a high order.

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
I can see Sarah going to Richard Callaghan and I believe that Richard will whip her into the best shape of her life and her jumps will look great. I think Sarah is probably thinking about the money she's missing out on by not competing or going to shows. She can always go back to Yale and finish her studies, but how many good years of skating does she have left in her? I think she's wisening up and probably realizing that it would be nice to have a nest egg for med school and to finish her studies.

Fossi

Final Flight
:love: I've been waiting for Sarah to start changing her mind. :love:

Keeping my fingers crossed that she'll be back!

IDLERACER

Medalist
[COLOR=00A000]Whether you like the way they skate or not, I'd like to see both Sarah and Tara back out in the spotlight, be it as a competitor, or merely for exhibition purposes. They are both charismatic presences who know how to play to an audience.[/COLOR]

Incidentally, it's too bad that networks don't put on those skating "Battle Of The Sexes" type programs like they used to during the off season. They were lots of fun, and it would be a kick to see the likes of Michelle, Sarah and Sasha working together as a team. You could even make Jenny Kirk the team captain, simply for the novelty of refering to her as "Captain Kirk." :D Hmm. This is probably a good topic for a whole new thread.

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
IDLERACER said:
You could even make Jenny Kirk the team captain, simply for the novelty of refering to her as "Captain Kirk." :D Hmm. This is probably a good topic for a whole new thread.

:laugh: :laugh:

Nan

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Awesome! Go Sarah.

Thanks for the article, Paula

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Hughes as a trailblazer? Two 3/3s in the competition of her life yes, but still doesn't seem quite right. Had to get that off my chest.

Interesting that she's thinking of a returning to competition. While I don't doubt her regard education, I wondered what she think of being a full time college student. College is tough and not all that glamorous. Hour upon hour training isn't glamorous either, but there are perks of elite skating that aren't available at Yale. The perks of Yale are down the road a few years. She had worked hard for many years in skating and achieved a point where she was recognized for what she had accomplished. Going to Yale meant starting from the beginning and, once again, working her way up from the bottom. That's a tough adjustment to make.

As to her return to skating, I wonder how it will go. I'm not sure that from a skating perspective puberty was good to her. At 16, it looked like she was barely hanging on skating figure. I'm not suggesting eating disorder by any stretch of the imagination, but I bet she had to work hard to avoid weight gain. I wonder whether she could return to the elite ranks.

All that aside, I'd love to see Sarah as a mature skater. I think she has a lot to offer the sport. I'd also like to see her with a program choreographed by someone aside from R. Wagner.

gezando

Final Flight
Great news. I miss her so much, hope she is really returning to skate. Tarasova will be a good choice for her.