Hughes May Return | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hughes May Return

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Boring!!!:eek:

Are we really going to be subjected to 4 years of the two sides of Sarah's mouth talking. "I love skating and am considering a comeback, but I love school and don't miss skating and don't do it anymore because I didn't enjoy it even when I was doing it, but I'm thinking about coming back, but I want to be just like everyone else, but I love the special attention, so I'm gonna say I might return, but not with any form of concrete plan or even intelegent reasoning." :rolleye: At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if she hits someone with a hubcap come next Nats time. :laugh:

nymkfan51

Medalist
BG ... :laugh:

And just mentioning her body changes ... she could certainly lose weight and get back into good physical shape, but have you all see the recent pictures of her? She has definitely developed (if you know what I mean) ... and that she can't lose. I'm not convinced that jumping would be something she could get back. Liftoff might be a problem.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
show people that there is life after an OGM that doesn't involve hip replacements or pro skating
Isn't a DWI almost a requirement for OGMs there days? What better place to work on your binge dringking than college? :laugh:

Anyway, whatever came of all the SOI/COI are pissed off at her and her Dad gossip? Last I heard, she was persona-non-grata with Collins. Is Tom the forgiving type? And wasn't there talk of failed negotiations with SOI? Was that all just speculation? Weren't Scott and Roz mouthing off about MK not turing pro as ruining the sport in "Frozen Assets"? I don't remember anyone ever complaining that Sarah wasn't joining SOI. At this point, what skating doors does she actually have open to her?

euterpe

Medalist
In Sarah's comments, it seemed pretty clear to me that she was talking about competing as an eligible. She has mentioned trying for Turin before in interviews, but only as an 'out there' possibility.

But now she's actually talking about not returning to school, and that says she really IS considering Turin. I do not think for one minute that she's contemplating SOI (and yes, she pretty much burned her bridges with Collins and COI). Sarah did not seem to enjoy touring or the whole exhibition thing. Maybe that is partly because audiences never reacted to her as warmly as they did to Kwan, even right after the Olympics.

I think if she goes through with it and returns to competition, she is going to have one heck of a hard time. She IS very much out of shape, but even if she sheds the excess pounds, the plain fact is her body is completely different from her SLC body. Her figure was starting to develop during the 2002-2003 season, and her jumps were very much affected. Yes, she was on a training regimen much reduced from the pre-Olympic one, and her motivation wasn't there, but still, she was not nearly competitive for the podium at Worlds 2003, and she finished 8th and last at the 2003 Spring cheesefest.

Realistically, Sarah's chances of defending her OGM are very, very remote. It would be a real shame if she skipped school for two years, went into heavy-duty training, and then found she couldn't compete at the same level she did as a 16-year-old. Remember how disappointed Kat Witt was at not being competitive at the '94 Olympics? I just think for Sarah there's a lot to be lost academically and not much to be gained by coming back as an eligible.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Actually, I remember Kat Witt in 1994 skating to where are all the flowers gone (Sarajevo) and being just glad to skate and to be able to commemorate the city in which she won one of her 2 OGM's. The fact that I can remember this when I haven't watched 1994 since 1994 means that it was a memorable performance, too. If I recall, she was also glad to have her parents actually able to see her skate in an Olympics, too.

When did Kat say that she regretted not being in shape or not being competitive in 1994?

In 2003, Sarah completely bombed in the QR. She was in the much harder bracket, and only completed maybe 3 triples. Once down, she stayed there. From Fumie's 2004 Worlds, you can see how hard it is these days to rebound from a poor QR.

I would love to see her skating again, whether as a pro or an amateur. If Yale lets her take a year or two off, so much the better. She performed well in her classes at Yale, so they might well let her do this, if she wants.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kwan rebounded from a poor QR to finish on the podium, even after being dinged for time in the SP.

Sarah was 6th in her QR but that wasn't the only segment where she fell short. Although Sarah had a 'clean' SP, she finished 8th, no doubt because her flutz was atrocious and her triples short of rotation. She finished 6th in the FS after falling on a 3F to finish 6th overall.

Fumie was worse off, having finished 8th in the QR and 7th in the SP (and her SP was lovely). She placed 5th for a beautifully skated FS to finish 7th overall.

NorthernLite

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
Boring!!!:eek:
Are we really going to be subjected to 4 years of the two sides of Sarah's mouth talking. "I love skating and am considering a comeback, but I love school ...so I'm gonna say I might return, but not with any form of concrete plan or even intelegent reasoning."

Saw your same post on MKF (where, BTW, someone already pointed out the "intelligent" thing ;) ) .

Yeah, too bad Sarah can't be like a certain other skater, who's always made crystal-clear, definitive statements about whether *she* would continue on to the next Olympics. :p

BTW this piece was written by Barry Wilner. Hasn't he been known for messing up facts. Perhaps he got the quote wrong and this is much ado ...

euterpe

Medalist
But that 'certain other skater' HAS been competing since SLC and has accumulated two US Championships and two World medals since then. She has consistently never committed to any events more than a few months ahead, but OTOH, has never talked about quitting skating or going pro.

Right around Worlds this year, Sarah said in one interview that she hadn't even put on her skates since the end of the 2002-2003 season, and that she was happy pursuing other interests. Only a month ago she was talking about how burned-out she was after the Olympics and the year afterward.

Now, she's saying she wants back in and may quit school! Meanwhile, she's allowed herself to get WAY out of shape, and has lost her coach to a rival skater.

I think she really IS a teenager who has so many choices that she doesn't know what she wants.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Saw your same post on MKF
Don't board drag, it's against the rules. :)
Yeah, too bad Sarah can't be like a certain other skater, who's always made crystal-clear, definitive statements about whether *she* would continue on to the next Olympics.
Why all the secret code? The way you wrote *she* reminds me of the really funy spoof board, the Michelle Kwanless board or something, very funny. If you did indeed mean Kwan, I think that euterpe did a pretty good job of showing how your comparison is nonnsense. :(
BTW this piece was written by Barry Wilner. Hasn't he been known for messing up facts. Perhaps he got the quote wrong and this is much ado ...
I actually think all of the nonsense that we've been reading for the past 2 years is more about the press's desperation for a story than about Sarah giving any real thought to her skating career. She's "just Sarah from Long Island" afterall, and who among us hasn't waffled on issues. But, I am disapointed that she hasn't learned to grasp what being a celebrity is like and that one has to be careful what one says. Otherwise, I'm mostly just annoyed by the "will she or won't she" angle the press is always trying to drag us into. At this point, I stop caring about 3 "I haven't ruled out Turin" articles ago. Get back to us when you have something real to say.

euterpe

Medalist
I guess when we see Sarah's name in a USFSA envelope, or under a "B" International on the USFSA International Assignments page, we will know she really means business.

Until then, it's all just spin.

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm cracking up at this thread and the whole thought of this comeback just a few days after the I'm returning to normal article.

I think if she comes back (which I think would be interesting) she will immediately leave if she can not deal with not placing on the podium. Skating and Sarah has changed a lot since she left. I think she can get in shape because I'm sure she can if she puts her mind to it but it won't be the same.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
gezando said:
Great news. I miss her so much, hope she is really returning to skate. Tarasova will be a good choice for her.
Gezando, I was thinking the same thing. Now wouldn't that cause a stir.:eek: :eek:

Dee

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tarasova has said she doesn't want to coach US skaters on a permanent basis. Besides, she has Arakawa and I think that will keep TT hopping.

Logistically, I don't see how Sarah could possibly make a comeback this season unless she had already started training. As she doesn't have a coach, and as of May 30 she was talking about how burned out she was after the Olympics, I think this is another one of those I will-I won't-Iwill-I won't interviews.

As others have said, I'll believe it when I see it.

gezando

Final Flight
chuckm said:
Tarasova has said she doesn't want to coach US skaters on a permanent basis. Besides, she has Arakawa and I think that will keep TT hopping.
s others have said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Did TT say she does not want to coach US skaters? I thought she said high profile US skaters should be coached by high profile US coach.

Even though Sarah is the reigning Olys champion, she is really not high profile, and there is no hype around her. One of her last tv fluff piece prior to US nationals, a humble and down to earth Sarah said, "I am not defending a US title, just (humble) defending a bronze"

Even though Arakawa is the reigning world champion, she is not exactly high profile, with a ton of hype surrounding her either. I think coaching both should not be too much of a problem for TT.

I don't think she will be making a come back, although I want her to. Sarah is just too gifted and talented in too many things. Acing Yale, (still playing the violin?)

BTW, why can't Sarah go back to Robin?

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Did TT say she does not want to coach US skaters? I thought she said high profile US skaters should be coached by high profile US coach.
TT said a lot of things, including "I/my loved ones am/are too ill", and "It was too much travel" both of which were pretty much thrown out the window when she took on Shizuka. Another one who's words require quite a bit of salt.

And I beg to differ about Sarah not being "high profile". This silly littel article has generated quite a stir, and it doesn't even say anything concrete.
I think this is another one of those I will-I won't-Iwill-I won't interviews.
Actually, I blame the media more than Sarah. She's spouted the same wishy-washy message all along, this particular journalist just made a bigger deal of it.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Tarasova has said she doesn't want to coach US skaters on a permanent basis.
I wouldn't take what TT says too seriously. She also said she'll just stick to coaching Russians -- and then took on Shizuka.
gezando said:
Even though Arakawa is the reigning world champion, she is not exactly high profile, with a ton of hype surrounding her either. I think coaching both should not be too much of a problem for TT.
That's not the point. Sarah and Shizuka would obviously be competing for the same medals. TT has always been careful to NOT have a potential rivalry within her group. For example, she took on Chait & Sakhnovsky only after Grushina & Goncharov left.
BTW, why can't Sarah go back to Robin?
Only if Robin dumps Sasha. It wouldn't be right for her to coach rivals such as Sasha and Sarah.

gezando

Final Flight
berthes ghost said:

And I beg to differ about Sarah not being "high profile". This silly littel article has generated quite a stir, and it doesn't even say anything concrete. Actually, I blame the media more than Sarah. She's spouted the same wishy-washy message all along, this particular journalist just made a bigger deal of it.

Ok, high profile in relative sense. As the reigning OGM she should be very very high profile. So relative to her achievement, she is not as high profile. IMO it is all about relative to achievement. There are skaters who haven't really accomplish that much but are hyped as the best technician, perfect technique etc. Examples are many, Kostner is one.

gezando

Final Flight
Ptichka said:

I wouldn't take what TT says too seriously. She also said she'll just stick to coaching Russians -- and then took on Shizuka.

That's not the point. Sarah and Shizuka would obviously be competing for the same medals. TT has always been careful to NOT have a potential rivalry within her group. For example, she took on Chait & Sakhnovsky only after Grushina & Goncharov left.

Only if Robin dumps Sasha. It wouldn't be right for her to coach rivals such as Sasha and Sarah.

I still do not remember TT said she only coaches Russians. Taking Shizuka was a smart move. According to report at Skate Canada 03, TT could not take her eyes off Arakawa during practice.

Coaching rivals is not necessarily wrong, I believe S&Z, P&T, and Z&Z all have the same coach. For a while Fumie, Shizuka, Ando were coached by Sato. Fumie and Miki are still coached by Sato.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had the feeling last season that the Japanese Federation had been courting Tarasova for a long time, well before the announcement was made that Arakawa was leaving Callaghan for TT. The JF were incensed that Callaghan would not go to Japan with Arakawa for Japanese Nationals, which unfortunately coincided with Christmas. And it was just before Christmas that TT and Sasha parted company.

I also suspect that the JF probably have an agreement with TT that she will not coach a high-ranked Arakawa competitor. That would pretty much eliminate TT as a possible coach for Sarah.

Considering Arakawa's GP travel schedule (Nagoya, Paris, Moscow), I don't know how TT would be able to fit in another student anyway.

The only way Sarah could go back to Robin would be if Robin and Sasha parted company. Seeing as how Sarah and Robin didn't part on the best of terms, I don't think that will happen unless the Cohens run into a big disagreement with Wagner over Sasha's training. But I suppose anything could happen.....