Hughes May Return | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Hughes May Return

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Gosh, people sure like to rehash old stuf finthe off season. :laugh:

Anyways, I'm not venturing any guesses as Sarah says she is thinking of maybe someday considering the posiblity that she might skate again. Considering the way skaters have been switching coahes like thier undies lately, by the time she gets around to maybe considering making a decision, everyone will probably be with a different coach anyway. Sasha is already rumored to be leaving Robin, but that's just gossip. Who knows what tomorow will bring.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
gezando said:
Coaching rivals is not necessarily wrong, I believe S&Z, P&T, and Z&Z all have the same coach. For a while Fumie, Shizuka, Ando were coached by Sato. Fumie and Miki are still coached by Sato.
Ah, S&Z, P&T, Z&Z... I am certain that at this point, if P&T would look like they could surpass S&Z, they would get easier programs -- S&Z are "the champions" for now. This is how it worked in the old Soviet Union. Irina Rodnina recalls that she and Ulanov never got the full 100% of their coach's attention as long as there was another couple that was supposed to be "the champions". Once they retired, it was a different story.

As for the Japanese ladies you site... I am not saying it cannot be done, I am juste saying it's rarely a good idea. Right now, most top Russian ladies skaters (except for Slutskaya and Basova) all train with the Kudryavtsevs -- and it does create tensions. One coach who ofter takes on potential rivals is Tamara Moskvina -- but she can afford it, since usually her husband, a superb coach in his own right, takes on the "2nd" team.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I'm not doubting or denying what you say, I'm just curious about the Rodnina quote. IIRC, the Protopopovs didn't quit until they were passed over in favor of the new kind on the block, Rodnina & Co. Was that at worlds and not nats?

euterpe

Medalist
It's one thing for a coach to have rival skaters from his/her own federation, as in the case of the Russians, the Chinese and the Japanese. There is bound to be a pecking order there based on the relative success of the skaters. But for a coach from federation A to have two top competitors in the same discipline from federation B and federation C as students is quite another matter. It's almost a guarantee that all 3 would be miserable 90% of the time.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
I'm not doubting or denying what you say, I'm just curious about the Rodnina quote. IIRC, the Protopopovs didn't quit until they were passed over in favor of the new kind on the block, Rodnina & Co. Was that at worlds and not nats?
Actually, it wasn't the Protopopovs who were "holding up" Rodnina & Ulanov -- it was Nina Zhuk & partner (don't remember her name). According to Rodnina, they weren't even fiven the indoor ice time until they became #1 in Zhuk's team.

As for the Protopopovs -- they actually weren't included in the Olympic team (or it could have ben at Worlds -- I don't recall). Why? According to them, the Soviet Federation made a deal with the Germans -- if they voted for the Russian single skater (Kovalev?) to medal, the Russians would make sure the Germans got their team on the podium. Now, the German team was clearly inferior to the Protopopovs, so they got to stay home.

BittyBug

On the Ice
DORISPULASKI said:
Actually, I remember Kat Witt in 1994 skating to where are all the flowers gone (Sarajevo) and being just glad to skate and to be able to commemorate the city in which she won one of her 2 OGM's. The fact that I can remember this when I haven't watched 1994 since 1994 means that it was a memorable performance, too. If I recall, she was also glad to have her parents actually able to see her skate in an Olympics, too.
I remember this, too. I don't think Witt was in it for the placement, but rather the sheer joy of skating.

Back to Sarah - it's hard for me to imagine her getting back into competitive form, but I suppose it's possible. Heck - Elaine Zayak came pretty close to making the team after how many years off the ice?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember Kat Wit saying that she was disappointed that she didn't land all of her planned elements, but that she was happy to be there. Kat Witt had a slew of World titles and two OGMs and was making a good living as a pro skater before the '94 Olympics, and made an even better living afterward, after the Kerrigan attack.

OTOH, I don't think Sarah was at all happy with her 6th place at 2003 Worlds, or her last place finish in the 2003 Spring cheesefest. I can't imagine that she would be overjoyed if she quit school and came back to competition, trained heavily for two years and then found herself with no World or National title, and off the podium at the Olympics (and that is a real possibility).

Last edited:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
TT said a lot of things, including "I/my loved ones am/are too ill", and "It was too much travel" both of which were pretty much thrown out the window when she took on Shizuka. Another one who's words require quite a bit of salt.

Tarasova does have a history of medical problems and has been in hospital several times over the past few years. And AFAIK her husband was very ill indeed last season and needed a surgery at the time of the split with Sasha. I know I read it somewhere, maybe someone else can provide a link for an article.

I have no idea who would take Sarah as a student, but Wagner doesn't seem an option and neither seems Tarasova, who doesn't seem like she's interested in coaching another high-profile American lady skater. You can argue about Sarah's quality of skating, but the attention the media gives her and he fact that she is the reigning Olympic Champion certainly makes her a high-profile skater.

I don't see Sarah leaving college to return for an uncertain career as an eligible skater. I could see her skating as a pro though. Plenty of opportunities, not as much pressure, she could stil work on her triples and programs and if possible, still try to attend some classes.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Tarasova does have a history of medical problems and has been in hospital several times over the past few years.
Exactly, which is why she threatens to quit every year and why it's even more shocking when she then takes on yet another high maintainance student.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
Exactly, which is why she threatens to quit every year and why it's even more shocking when she then takes on yet another high maintainance student.

:laugh: At least it's not a bad addiction!

registered

On the Ice
chuckm said:
Tarasova has said she doesn't want to coach US skaters on a permanent basis. Besides, she has Arakawa and I think that will keep TT hopping.

I heard from a credible source, that besides Arakawa TT is going to work with Julia Sebastian (on a short term basis). They were seen working together at Simsbury.

This just in! :http://www.usovaplatov.com/news.htm

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
I am excited to know that Sarah Hughes is planning to come back. But I don't like the idea of only skating and putting her education on hold. She could take 2 or 3 classes while skating. Most lower level(I mean novice to senior) skaters if not home schooled still attend school four to six hours every day.

Anyone know if Yale offers part-time classes in the evenings? She could take 2 subjects (4 nights a week) remain in Connecticut and get some coaching from Tarrasova. That would work.

Joe

Longhornliz

Final Flight
jesslily said:
I am excited to know that Sarah Hughes is planning to come back. But I don't like the idea of only skating and putting her education on hold. She could take 2 or 3 classes while skating. Most lower level(I mean novice to senior) skaters if not home schooled still attend school four to six hours every day.

I think that Yale is probably pretty different than the schooling these other skaters are undertaking. 2-3 college courses is nearly a full load.

lavender

Record Breaker
Sarah is mostly only highly profile if she talks about coming back to skating. When she talks about school and normalcy for the 4the time it's not really a big topic even though she's the reigning champion. Really only die hard skating fans are interested. I still think Michelle and Sasha topics get more responses. I mean if Ms. Ruh talked about coming back now if it were possible it would be a big deal.

jesslily

Final Flight
No matter what kind of universities, they do offer a lot of flexibilty than high schools. 2 or 3 courses require around 6 to 12 hours in the classroom each week. You still have a lot of hours practicing figure skating. Sure you can always arrange reading and writing time around your skating schedule. High school skating kids attend school average 5 hours each day plus 2 hours home work,
and skate 2 or 3 hours between school and homework.

I just feel if Sarah stops school for two years and later it's very hard to restart again. Yale is a very good school.

euterpe

Medalist
registered: "I heard from a credible source, that besides Arakawa TT is going to work with Julia Sebastian (on a short term basis). They were seen working together at Simsbury.

Tarasova works with many skaters during the off-season on a consulting basis, but she has no affiliation with them as a coach during the season.

Johnny Weir and Julia Sebestyen are only two of her off-season clients. Reportedly, Kimmie Meissner will work with TT during the summer, too.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
gezando: In a past interview, Robin noted that she hadn't heard from Sarah since April 2003. She didn't give details, but it sounded like Sarah broke off their relationship rather abruptly. I don't know any more details, maybe someone else does.