2015 Cup of China Short Dance | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2015 Cup of China Short Dance

rain

Record Breaker
Wow, so underwhelming yet exciting. CL stil don't to me have the top notch skills and ditto for C and B who were given pcs like they were part of a give away. I and Z really need to go full out and execute cleanly even if their program is maybe not the best they should rework the march. I woluld have the top 3 teams closer together.

C/L were noticeably slower than the two teams behind them. I/Z were going great guns, and I actually like the first part of the program, but the We Will Rock You section slowed to a crawl (just as the music was ramping up, making it even more obvious). I think they should choose a different piece of music to finish the program to. C/B probably had the most consistent speed throughout, but nothing really stands out here and the mistake on the twizzle was really obvious.

slider11

Medalist
whew! Food poisoning is no fun but definitely something you will recover from. The question will be if she can bounce back for tomorrow's (very soon) FD. I love how supportive Jean-Luc is. If anyone can get her in the groove, he can!
Voizehovskaya (Russian journalist) wrote that Hawayek got food poisoning the day before the SD and even missed the morning practice. That explains why she had 3 hours of sleep only and looked dizzy. Poor kid! I hope she is better now!

robredo40

On the Ice
this isn`t a lock for chock and bates they have to skate well tommorrow to win, the Italians have a very good freedance.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Definitely, it will be between S/K and I/Z with, probably, S/K winning. I is great but Z is still trying to cope with her superior skating skills.

Conveniently ignoring Bobrova & Soloviev's higher SD score? One point of difference between their final total and S&K's at different events does not a separate tier make.

Art&Sport

Medalist
My impressions based on watching the event after the fact, but in skate order so that I did not know outcomes ahead of time and could compare scores in real time with my own judgements:

Can't argue too much with the result, except that I think Hawayek/Baker's score in SD should be closer to that of I/Z.

Cappelini/ Lanotte came out inspired and with something to prove, while Chock/Bates lost something on their twizzles and rightly sit in second.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Definitely, it will be between S/K and I/Z with, probably, S/K winning. I is great but Z is still trying to cope with her superior skating skills.
Lol. Cup of China isn't even over yet. And it's about a three point gap between first and third. Anything can happen. There is much improvement with Sinitsina and Katasalopov, and there should be with the 10 month gap between Russian Nationals and Skate America. While Ruslena's score is only better by small margin they are on the heels of Chock and Bates, while S/K faced a bigger deficit. Ruslena should have received higher GOE than they did on some elements and higher PCS. And let's face it even Marina gets some home cooking at SA. Ruslan is great and I think he is at Elena's level. He has wonderful expression and those twizzles weren't nailed alone. At least wait until after the GP events are over and see who makes the final. Statements like the one above bare pretty ridiculous this early in the game.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Please, Ruslan is not yet at Elena's level. Neither is Victoria yet at Nikita's level. I/Z came out of the box faster, but S/K have clearly improved this season and the gap is closing.

Some people still give I/Z the edge because they feel Ruslan is coming up to Elena's level a bit more quickly than it is taking Victoria to match Nikita's strengths. Also some feel that because Elena is superior to Victoria in various aspects, they give I/Z the edge due to ladies generally being the focus of ice dance teams.

However, that assumption is not always the case. Cizeron, for example, is slightly stronger than Gaby but they match well and have been skating together since they were very young so they meld well together and enhance each other's strengths while compensating for some of each other's less strong points. Still, Cizeron is the one whose strengths help make that team fly the most.

In the case of Sin/Kats, Nikita is now learning how to present Victoria better and being less of a male diva. Yet Nikita being the stronger of the two is not a huge liability especially since it doesn't hurt the eyes to look at Victoria. :p In my opinion, both I/Z and S/K still have a ways to go, although I/Z might be given the edge politically and by virtue of having come together quicker last season.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Please, Ruslan is not yet at Elena's level. Neither is Victoria yet at Nikita's level. I/Z came out of the box faster, but S/K have clearly improved this season and the gap is closing. Some people still give I/Z the edge because they feel Ruslan is coming up to Elena's level a bit more quickly than it is taking Victoria to match Nikita's strengths. Also some feel that because Elena is superior to Victoria in various aspects, they give I/Z the edge due to ladies generally being the focus of ice dance teams. However, that assumption is not always the case. Cizeron, for example, is slightly stronger than Gaby but they match well and have been skating together since they were very young so they meld well together and enhance each other's strengths while compensating for some of each other's less strong points. Still, Cizeron is the one whose strengths help make that team fly the most. In the case of Sin/Kats, Nikita is now learning how to present Victoria better and being less of a male diva. Yet Nikita being the stronger of the two is not a huge liability especially since it doesn't hurt the eyes to look at Victoria. :p In my opinion, both I/Z and S/K still have a ways to go, although I/Z might be given the edge politically and by virtue of having come together quicker last season.

I disagree. Ruslan is wonderfully expressive and has more natural dance ability. He was the stronger of the partnership with Sinitsina, Vika comes off cold at times and very phoned in. Even now with Nikita, she tries too hard and it shows. Marina has done a good job of masking their weaknesses this season and I'm glad she has stopped trying to make her a Navka knock off. I also thing the paso was a weakness for them, they are better suited for a waltz. In comparison Elena and Ruslan bring energy and excitement and have pushed themselves technically. Both of their programs are more aggressive on a technical level and they push themselves artistically. The level of success they had last year as a new team is extraordinary.

Frankly I am surprised in people's confidence in Nikita on a technical level, he is a great ice dancer but it's a fact that he is not reliable. One performance doesn't change that for me. S/K are going to have to continually prove that this season.

samson

Medalist
IDK Chock and Bates were the team for me in the SD. I agree with the standings based on the twizzle error, but for me they were the only team that looked like you could put them on a ballroom floor and really be at home there. Especially in the Partial Step Sequence their hold positions were much closer and the connection between the two felt palpable.

caitie

Medalist
IDK Chock and Bates were the team for me in the SD. I agree with the standings based on the twizzle error, but for me they were the only team that looked like you could put them on a ballroom floor and really be at home there. Especially in the Partial Step Sequence their hold positions were much closer and the connection between the two felt palpable.

I agree with this, to be honest. Compared to I/Z and C/L, I actually think they looked a bit better, particularly in the stsq. I thought C/L looked slow and a bit rough, without great unison. I thought I/Z looked sloppy and like they need a lot more mileage. C/B looked a bit better than them on the whole... but it was still a night of underwhelming performances for me personally.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Both of their programs are more aggressive on a technical level and they push themselves artistically.

Could you please explain what you mean here? I agree that their style of skating is more aggressive, I would even call it attacking. And this is great, but I don't get what does 'aggressive on a technical level' means? Do you mean more difficult elements, or transitions, or what?

And it's always good to push yourself artistically, but for my taste they're doing to much 'pushing' in their short dance.

Edit: so, no explanation? I see...

Last edited:

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Very impressive C/L on the scores. They had great levels. Way to go. Keep it up!

And C/B needs to improve on the ones they need.

I like competition. :) (I think that was the difference right?)