Linda Fratianne Link | Golden Skate

Linda Fratianne Link

S

SkateFan4Life

Linda Fratianne Link

Here's a nice, brief link to a Linda Fratianne bio:

www.skatingsource.com/fratian.shtml

Without being nitpicky, I have to point out that Linda did not win the free skating (assume this means the long program) at the 1980 Olympics. She won the short program and was second to Denise Biellman in the long program. Her overall points gave her the silver medal.

M

manleywoman

Linda Fratianne

You know, I find it rather infuriating that in all of the videos I have of TV specials regarding American Women's skating, Fratianne constantly gets ignored. She made a nice contribution to the sport, after all!

S

Show 42

Re: Linda Fratianne

I am in total agreement, manelywoman. She was indeed the "Firecracker" and doesn't get much mention in skating anthologies..............and welcome to GS :) 42

S

SkateFan4Life

Re: Linda Fratianne

I agree with you. The "Fire on Ice" television special featured a number of great women figure skating rivalries and American skaters, Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss, Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Elaine Zayak, Rosalyn Sumners, Debi Thomas, Kristi Yamaguchi, Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan, Tara Lipinski, and Michelle Kwan. Katarina Witt was featured as a perennial nemisis of the American women. But where was Linda Fratianne? Where was Annet Poetzsch? Linda and Annet each won two World titles, and they had a memorable competition for the Olympic gold medal in 1980. That era was completely ignored by this television special, and I thought that was terrible. Linda was a wonderful technician - the first American woman to consistenly land two triples in her long program - and she was one of the first women to wear competitive dresses with lots of sequins and petal skirts.

:eek:

L

Ladskater

Re: Linda Fratianne Link

manleywoman and show:

Karen Magnussen of Canada does not get much recognintion either in the history books and she was World champion as well as a silver Olympic medalist. She certainly inspired me to skate. I always feel skaters like Karen and Linda paved the way for the glamor girls of today.

Ladskater

S

SkateFan4Life

Karen Magnussen received very little publicity in the US during her amateur days, perhaps because she was competing against America's sweetheart, Janet Lynn. While I think Karen was an excellent jumper and overall skater, I would not consider her "glamorous". She was pretty, attractive, etc., but not at all showbizzy during her amateur days. I'm sure she changed her appearance a bit when she skated with Ice Capades. Perhaps, indeed, Karen became a glamour girl as a pro skater.

D

DORISPULASKI

There is a Linda Fratianne routine on the tape Great Routines from the 80's. This is still available on amazon. The routines are from the World Pro Championships of the 80's.

(For me, Linda's routine was one of the best on the tape. T&D's joke Tango was the other hilight.)

There is also a part of one of her routines on Magic Memories I, ABC Sports

dpp

S

SkateFan4Life

I recall reading that Linda Fratianne stuffed her 1980 Olympic silver medal in tissue paper and hid it under her bed for something like 15 years. She had been devastated at "losing" in Lake Placid, and she felt as if she had let her country down, not to mention her coaches and family. What a shame that she felt that way! Linda was a wonderful champion, a classy lady, and boy could she jump!! She was like a firefly on the ice.

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:teal;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">I, too, thought the omission of Linda F. from that television special was unfortunate. She was a wonderful world champion and Oly silver medalist. That was an incredibly controversial decision, yet no mention of that rivalry on that special--a major oversight. Actually, in three years there were three ladies who kept switching places on the World podium: Linda, Annet and Christine Errath of Germany. It was quite the competition, as each lady was an excellent skater and World champ.</span>

B

berthes ghost

"Actually, in three years there were three ladies who kept switching places on the World podium: Linda, Annet and Christine Errath of Germany."

It was Dorothy Hamill, and Dianne de Leeuw who played musical podium spots with Christine Erath from 74 to 76.

From 77 to 80, it was Linda vs. Anett, and then everyone else, with the bronze medalist changing every year.

The way I understand the communist sports "machine", there was a strong pecking order. I don't think that Anett would have been allowed to swap golds with Christine. Instead, she had to wait her turn and wait until Christine retired until she could be promoted, just as Kat had to wait for Anett to retire, and Christine had to wait for Gabby. Lucky for Tara and Sarah that they weren't German.:lol:

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:purple;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">Oops! You're right! Thanks!</span>

S

SkateFan4Life

Actually, Annet Poetzsch came very close to winning the 1976 Olympic bronze medal over her East German teammate Christine Errath. Their ordinals and overall points were very, very close. I do not think the East German machine had anything to do with that placement.

I do agree that East Germany, for a number of years, had one skater who was their "star" skater. Unlike the United States, Japan, and other countries who are fortunate to have several top women, the GDR typically had one major female skating star - Seyfert, Errath, Poetszch, and Witt.

B

berthes ghost

Yeah, I never realised before how close they were in Innsbruck, 28 to 33.

Most judges had Erath 3rd, Potzsch 4th. Only 2 (Can and CZE) had them reversed. East Germany was the only judge who put Erath in 2nd and kept Potzsch in 4th, not so close back home I guess.

S

SkateFan4Life

A few evenings ago I played the videotape I made of the 1988 Christmas program that featured many performances by the top professional skaters from the World Professional Figure Skating Championships. Linda Fratianne skated a very good number to selections from "E.T." and "Chariots of Fire".
She looked gorgeous, and her jumps and spins were neat and crisp. The commentator said, "Linda always arrived at the World Pros in top form, and she always delivered a lovely performance." :D