2015 Cup of China Mens Free Skate | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2015 Cup of China Mens Free Skate

Art&Sport

Medalist
Actually, this comment puzzles me, because a quadless Jason Brown has medalled over skaters with higher TES even with subpar performances (look at the recent SA GP), not to mention Patrick winning Yuzuru who had more quads at SC, Javi won the CoC with fewer quads, so I don't understand your insistence of "huge precedence" of quads over artistry.:scratch3:

Spin that.

CoP has been in place for years, this feels a bit like shifting the goal posts. It's like a new runner has mastered the technique of winning the 100 m and people who don't like to look at the new runner start discussing how the race should be changed to 110m or it will be unfair to the other runners.

No need to spin when facts are available. And no one is trying to change anything simply because of Jin's ability to land quad lutz/triple combo. My views are NOT against Jin's athletic accomplishments despite your perceptions. In bringing up Jason Brown, you are trying to equate apples and oranges. Jason Brown has not medaled at Worlds, nor has he yet made it to the senior GPF mainly because he is still training to become consistent with quads. Jason has medaled on senior GP because of his high quality technical ability combined with above average artistry and competitive strength. Jason is a rare and exceptional skater stylistically, musically, and in his innate ability to connect with audiences. Jason's main weakness is the need to gain more speed, power and height in order to get around on the extra quad revolution and to become more solid on his 3-axel. While Patrick Chan has great skating skills, Jason Brown has rare and exceptional presentation skills. That's why Jason's PCS are generally high. In my opinion Jason should receive even higher marks on choreo and interpretation.

If you are interested in making comparisons, Jason is three years older than Jin and it took Jason a bit longer to break through on the National stage (partly due to greater depth among U.S. men of course). But I think that ends up being an advantage for Jason as it allowed him to gain seasoning and more competitive experience prior to debuting in senior international competition. There really is no way to equate what Jason is able to do presentation-wise with where Jin is currently at in his overall development. Yes, Jin is a good jumper, but his skating needs further refinement. Jason is a good jumper and he possesses exceptional presentation skills. I personally prefer more well-rounded skaters over skaters who are primarily jumpers. Just because Jason is still working on consistency with quads and 3-axel does not mean he doesn't have good technique. It is the speed, power and snap in the air which Jason needs to further develop.

Yes, maybe Jin will be able to improve artistically to add to his jumping ability. However, I think it's very unique to have exceptional presentation skills along with good technique at an early age, like Jason Brown. Fine that Jin has rare jumping ability at an early age. Under the current system Jin will be rewarded for his quads. IMO, however, Jin's PCS should currently be more in the range of 6s.

In a recent interview, Alexander Lakernik, Chairman of the ISU Technical Committee agrees with the view that components should not automatically go up when greater technical difficulty is included in programs. Lakernik commented:

"...Even the components score started to increase when extra difficult elements are included in the program. I think this is sending the wrong message. If the element is difficult, it will naturally cost more, but its quality should be assessed by exactly the same standards that apply to the quality of a triple. And this is a subject for discussion."