2015 Cup of China Mens Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015 Cup of China Mens Free Skate

krispy

Rinkside
China ought to send him to Orser asap or he will bomb in the PCS. Highest TES, lowest PCS.

Please don't mention Orser when talking about polishing this guy. Jin actually has some natural lines compare that to Nam who has been with him a while and its obvious that that camp had no ballet or modern dance training.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Please don't mention Orser when talking about polishing this guy. Jin actually has some natural lines compare that to Nam who has been with him a while and its obvious that that camp had no ballet or modern dance training.

I agree that Orser can't be a good choice for Boyang to develop his presentation skills since Javi and Nam don't have good skating skills. But I saw Nam's interview last season which showed him practicing modern dance at his school. Regardless, the federation would not let him train outside of China since there is no history of doing so as far as I've known and funding for skaters is from the government.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I notice something funny. Why are we talking about the men's event on the page for FS? :laugh2: Isn't it supposed to be the SP page first since the competition isn't even started?

Right, so what's Jin's BV in the short program?

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Or maybe Boyang simply doesn't feel need to improve his presentation drastically. Maybe he enjoys being himself and being jumper chasing more quads. :biggrin:

emdee

Final Flight

Nam has only been a couple of years with Orser. Bad habits were learned in BC.
Cricket Club is a full service training centre with training in all aspects of skating.

krispy

Rinkside
Or maybe Boyang simply doesn't feel need to improve his presentation drastically. Maybe he enjoys being himself and being jumper chasing more quads. :biggrin:

But Boyang actually has long lines and quick fluid movements he is the definition of a rough diamond...and for an up and coming skater you don't want to be labeled as just the "jumper"

Last edited:

krispy

Rinkside
Nam has only been a couple of years with Orser. Bad habits were learned in BC.
Cricket Club is a full service training centre with training in all aspects of skating.

Orser's camp is good at packaging their skaters I'll give them that but polishing not so much. Orser has two of the best skaters in men's currently and while they are technically great the same issues they have artistically are still there. ex. Fernandez has basically been using the same concept in his FS for 3 years and Yuzuru still has "limp" arms and movements often disconnected upper and lower body movements (these issues are not that hard to fix if Yuzuru spend some serious time with an off ice dance teacher). Think about it, how many people in Orser's camp really point their feet or move really well?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I agree that Orser can't be a good choice for Boyang to develop his presentation skills since Javi and Nam don't have good skating skills. But I saw Nam's interview last season which showed him practicing modern dance at his school. Regardless, the federation would not let him train outside of China since there is no history of doing so as far as I've known and funding for skaters is from the government.

That used to be the case for Javi, but he worked on his skating skills a lot. He's not Chan or Hanyu, but look at Javi in 2011 and look at him now - the difference is huge. Some people just don't want to see the improvement :shrug:

icekiwi

On the Ice
Someone should tell these skinny young boys who look 12 that please don't do sexy programs even if it's ex. :sad4:

I am laughing so much at this discussion about young skinny boys in sexy pants that I fell off my chair...................................

Totally agree. Glad someone brought this up. Have felt that way for a long time..................was to afraid to bring it up. Thanks. I am still laughing..............

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
That used to be the case for Javi, but he worked on his skating skills a lot. He's not Chan or Hanyu, but look at Javi in 2011 and look at him now - the difference is huge. Some people just don't want to see the improvement :shrug:

I love Javi and acknowledge his improvement. Still, I don't think that his skills are matched to his jumping abilities. He needs to improve skills more, especially spins.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Orser's camp is good at packaging their skaters I'll give them that but polishing not so much. Orser has two of the best skaters in men's currently and while they are technically great the same issues they have artistically are still there. ex. Fernandez has basically been using the same concept in his FS for 3 years and Yuzuru still has "limp" arms and movements often disconnected upper and lower body movements (these issues are not that hard to fix if Yuzuru spend some serious time with an off ice dance teacher). Think about it, how many people in Orser's camp really point their feet or move really well?

Hmmm. I have seen so many times that opinion, about "limp" arms or "noodle" arms. The thing is, when I compare Yuzuru's arm movement to Han Yan's or even, wait for it, Patrick's, I prefer Yuzuru's which I see as more natural. One of the reasons he's my favorite skater. The same with Anna Pogorilaya. My point is, perhaps Yuzuru, Orser and Co don't actually consider Yuzuru's arm movement as something that needs to be fixed.

I love Javi and acknowledge his improvement. Still, I don't think that his skills are matched to his jumping abilities. He needs to improve skills more, especially spins.

Perhaps he can't? Some men are more natural spinners than others. Javier's spins are far from the best of the field but perhaps he's hit his limit. Patrick has marvelllous skills and must have practiced a lot, but his spins are nowhere near the best in the field either.

That said, I can't wait to see what Javi will demonstrate at CoC. I really want him to make GPF so that I could see him live, so I hope he'll keep it together and won't spend too much polishing ice with his behind, so that he can get ahead of the homeboy wonder Boyang. Though I confess to secretly wanting to see Boyang live too, just to see if a 4 quad LP is as impressive live as it sounds.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

True, but you have to give him that his jumps are awesome, it's not easy to match those ;)

I just wanted to say Tracy Wilson is a great SS coach in my book, and she's done great stuff with Javi and Yuzu.

krispy

Rinkside
Hmmm. I have seen so many times that opinion, about "limp" arms or "noodle" arms. The thing is, when I compare Yuzuru's arm movement to Han Yan's or even, wait for it, Patrick's, I prefer Yuzuru's which I see as more natural. One of the reasons he's my favorite skater. The same with Anna Pogorilaya. My point is, perhaps Yuzuru, Orser and Co don't actually consider Yuzuru's arm movement as something that needs to be fixed.

I'm aware that some people prefer "raw" movements but be honest how many people actually watch Pogorilaya for her artistry?
Hanyu is a different story he is an Olympic champion and already has strong skating skills and jumps but if he is serious in growing as a skater then he should improve the quality of his movements unless he is happy with being perceived as unpolished for the rest of his skating career. Maybe because of my dance background that I notice this things and I know they are not as important as a quad in competition but I think Hanyu's weakness compared to Chan is not necessary in skating skills but in the quality of movement. Chan is able to transfer his weight efficiently because he knows how to use his core to switch from move to move easily and have extend line which enables him to use his entire body to express the music (even if he isn't that dramatic in his face) Hanyu right now just uses his arms ( not that well in terms of lines) and not his entire body which is where people label him as 'unpolished" compared to Chan.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
I'm aware that some people prefer "raw" movements but be honest how many people actually watch Pogorilaya for her artistry?

Aaand that's the problem with using the word "artistry". It means different things for everyone and for me, it's the raw movement of the body and expressiveness, not schooled control or lines. So yes, I watch Pogorilaya for her artistry. And Hanyu.

But lol, I'll finish it now, I don't want to turn CoC Men's thread into yet another discussion on "artistry" or Chan vs. Hanyu.

Last edited:

krispy

Rinkside
Aaand that's the problem with using the word "artistry". It means different things for everyone and for me, it's the raw movement of the body and expressiveness, not schooled control or lines. So yes, I watch Pogorilaya for her artistry. And Hanyu.

Well I guess we have to disagree with this one.... my only thing is anybody is can be called raw in skating.

Tallorder

On the Ice
Candidly I remain surprised at how slow the process has been for a Chinese man to pull together more of a complete package. So many have been athletically brilliant. But still so many shortcomings as far as music selection, costuming, design and layout of programs. It's as if Lu Chen was an anomaly.

jkun

Final Flight
Really looking forward to seeing a good clean, beautiful 4Lz in competition. I am not a fan of Rippon's 4Lz, even if he ever manages to land and rotate, because of the timid way he approaches the jump. I felt similarly about Brandon Mroz's 4Lz.