Junhwan Cha | Page 74 | Golden Skate

Junhwan Cha

seabm7

Final Flight
His college entrance portpolio is complete, I guess. He does not have to do full schedule again next year.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I will gladly adopt Jun so he can skate for Canada if the KSU ever throws a hissy fit about him prioritizing his health first ;)

Imov

Medalist
I wonder if Jun will keep his Romeo and Juliet programme?
Why did it came to my mind? The white costume version has not yet seen the light of competition day.
So I really want to see him wearing it while performing.

Imov

Medalist
I am really wondering now what type of feet does he have lmao.
But there is a lot of time before the new season starts so, he can still find time to get it.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Montreal tickets are so expensive I am just going to see Jun in Korean Nationals.

lol I agree (even as a Canadian)

the ticket is basically a semester tuition for me and that doesn't even account for hotel accommodations

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Shae-Lynn Bourne... I am torn between worrying about another JUUUUULIEEET and being excited. David Wilson SP&Shae-Lynn Bourne FS again like last season, maybe?

Side note, I have mixed feelings about his hairdo.

Imov

Medalist
I don't mind he kept it short, he looks more matured though.
Nevertheless since he is still so adorable I just look past the hairdo

s_parks

Record Breaker
Shae-Lynn Bourne... I am torn between worrying about another JUUUUULIEEET and being excited. David Wilson SP&Shae-Lynn Bourne FS again like last season, maybe?

Side note, I have mixed feelings about his hairdo.

Personal opinions aside, the R&J program was a hit.
The hair, it's the typical korean style nowadays. I'm just glad it's shorter.
Honestly, I'm just semi-relieved every time I see a picture of him training/getting choreo which means at the very least he's not badly injured to the point he has to stay off ice... please, skating gods, grant jun boots that finally fit!

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So Junhwan filmed a TV show about the time he was preparing for Ice Fantasia (judging from his hair), it's on TV right now. Future translations upcoming when video becomes available.

Edit: 17-year-old Cha Junhwan is on, he's smiling and laughing throughout. And he's teaching celebrities figure skating. Dear lord did he just jump a 3A for a goddamn TV show :dbana:

Edit 2: Dare I hope that Junhwan is finally not growing any more taller, he is definitely shorter than Jung Yoonho on screen, please :pray:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So Junhwan filmed a TV show about the time he was preparing for Ice Fantasia (judging from his hair), it's on TV right now. Future translations upcoming when video becomes available.

I’m excited! I see from twt that they watch old Kiss and Cry clips and get to skate!!! Thanks for the translation offer!

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Recording video right now (site won't let me download damnit), apparently it was flimed during his midterm exams, so late April (after Ice Fantasia). And now Junhwan knows some current female idols :laugh:

Some bits from the early parts:
- He "enjoys eating" but couldn't because he was "living a hermit's life" in Canada (I want to laugh but can't)
- His ideal type is still Song Jihyo the actress, but he has developed an interest in Chungha (a pop idol singer)
- He has been on his diet plan since he was 13 (Cereal for breakfast, some rice, unsalted meat, and vegetables for lunch and dinner)
- Seems to be less embarassed of his K&C/CF model past :laugh:
- He almost cried after finishing his free during the Olympics (he mentioned the relief of having gone through all those injuries as the first reason, oh darling)
- He does cardio workouts by himself on Sundays (his only day off)
- "Going to school is fun too"

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Video link is to my Google drive, sorry for the bits where I mucked up while recording. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pWjtLHcW-hxrvL8dMm5X6mHhuyULlSQz

I unfortunately don't have the time to sync the video with subs, so here are translations for the relevant, i.e. things about Junhwan or Junhwan's words. Wall of text incoming. TN are translator's notes.

- In front of a high school in Seoul (TN:it's Hwimun high (휘문고) for the curious)

- The star for today is just coming out from the school gates, who would it be?

(claps and surprised noises)
Yoo Jaeseok (afterwards Y): Skater Cha Junhwan! (TN: it's 차준환 선수! originally, 선수 means athlete and is a term of address)
Hwang Gwanghee (afterwards G): Right, that's who he is! I thought he was an idol (TN: because he's so tall and good-looking)
Y: Just finished school, eh?

- The star of Korean male figure skating!
- Won two bronze medals in a row in the senior Grand Prix series! (TN: I have no idea why they excluded GPF for the count, the photo is from GPF :confused2:)

Junhwan (afterwards J): Hello, I'm Cha Junhwan, representing Korea in figure skating.
Y: So, wait, did you come right after school ended?
J: Yeah, it was the last day of midterms
- Junhwan came right after finishing his midterm exams

An Junghwan (afterwards A): What grade are you in?
J: I'm in 12th.
Cast: 12th!
- 12th, a kid of these days (TN: the show is titled 요즘애들, it's from the 'kids these days' rant. The concept of the whole show is to have a 'kid of these days' and learn stuff from them)
Y: So what subjects did you have for today?
J: Calculus and Economics. - Embarrassed somewhat
Y: Did you do well on them? (TN: He says 시험은 잘 봤어요?, and the following is a play on words. Will try best to explain)
J: I, um, tried very well, very well, tried well. (TN: the Korean word 잘 can mean both 'well' and 'with earnestness (never mind the results)'. Junhwan was asked the former, he replied with the latter)
- High school student Junhwan read his test papers more carefully than anybody else (TN: 보다 is used for both 'to take (a test or the like)' and 'to see/read', so the phrase 시험을 잘 보다, while used to express 'to do well on a test', can be interpreted as 'to see/read the test with earnestness'. Puns are difficult)

- Innocent smile

- Today's star is a global kid of these days

Y: In the 2018 GPF (FX says the same thing), first for the country for men, he won bronze!
- "Cha Junwhan, wins GPF bronze... First for men and the 9 years since Kim Yuna"
(claps)
Y: He's the first!
J: (nods) For men.
- A huge result, first for Korean male skaters
J: See, the GPF is a competition that only the 6 best skaters on the GP series can compete in, and, um, to go to it was, like, my secret goal, for this season. (FX says the same thing, basically)
J: I got to go, and I even got a medal, so, yeah
- Qualified and won a medal, an overachievement
Y: And at the Pyeongchang Olympics, he got the best result in history for Korean male skaters! (FX is the same, just with 15th added)
G: I was there! (irrelevant stuff omitted) I was passing by when I saw Junhwan's van, and boy was he popular!
- Felt Junhwan's popularity after seeing numerous fans surrounding his van
- Thanks (TN: to fans)
Y: Very popular, Junhwan here. And when he was a junior, he broke the (TN: junior) WR, and so, (TN: junior) GP gold.
- "Cha Junhwan wins GP with new junior WR"
Y: He was going strong already.
- An elite figure skater who already showed talent in his junior years
Y: For Junhwan to appear in a TV show... it's the first (TN: here), isn't it?
- Since he started his career, Junhwan had never made an appearance in (TN: entertainment) TV shows
J: This is my first time.
Park Shinyoung (afterwards P): Don't you have any TV stars you'd like to meet?
J: Of course I do. I have said this before, Song Jihyo.
Y: He's a huge fan of her, I heard.
- Junhwan is a big fan of Jihyo
A: He really likes her, eh?
(I can't make out the questioner): Why do you like her so much?
J: (FX: shy) She's, like, really close to my ideal type, pure (TN: the original word is 청순한, it's not a word that can be really translated but it's what you call a sweet, innocent, 'cue flowery music as she appears' type), fun, and easy-going (TN: again, it's 털털한, which is used to describe (usually a woman) that's the opposite of being prissy and 'sensitive' (from a male standpoint), it's not fully translatable)
P: How old is she?
J: She has 20 years ahead of me.
J: Right, I recently found a lady singer who got my attention.
Y: Who?
J: You know, the one that's trending now, 'midnight' (TN: Chungha's new song is titled 'Already Midnight'(translated), he does the choreo slightly with his hands)
G: Ah, Chungha, right?!
- The 'Midnight Fairy' Chungha
(cheers as he tries the choreo of the song)
P: So you like dancing?
J: Yeah, she's so good at dancing, so I looked her up with interest
- Got very interested with her dancing skills
Y: I'm sure everyone has a lot of questions for Junhwan, anything else?
A: As an athlete you have to look after your condition, your weight, is it absolutely necessary? (TN: He was a famous footballer back in the 2000s, and off-topic but damn he was gorgeous)
J: Yes, it's necessary. See, I really like eating, I really enjoy eating, but since I have to live a hermit's life in Canada and all...
A: How long do you train (TN: in Canada)?
J: In December, when there are domestic competitions, and now, the off-season, aside from those times, I'm, just
P: In Canada?
J: Yeah.
- Always in Canada during the season
Y: What is your training schedule like in Canada?
J: So I wake up around... 6 am, and then light workouts from seven to eight, then from eight to 9:30 on-ice training. Like, on the rink with boots on. Lunch at 10,
G: At 10 am?
Y: He's up so early.
- The rink where Junhwan trains (TN: the photo they used makes TCC looks bleak, to my eyes at least)
J: (laughs) So I have lunch at 10, then from 10:30 to 11:30 we have this warming-up session above the rink. From 10:30 to one it's on-ice, and on-ice training is finished at 3. After that it's time to do weights.
- Junhwan's day is busy with training sessions (TN: the time graph shows this- weights from 3 to 5:30, physical therapy from 5:30 to 6, I have no idea why they just skipped bedtime (which is 10 pm if I remember correctly))
A: And he has to stick to a diet.
Y: Do you have a diet plan?
J: Yup. Something light like fruit or cereal for breakfast, for lunch a bit of rice, some beef, some vegetables. But the beef isn't seasoned. Just cooked on a frying pan, nothing else. Dinner is the same, it's just pork instead of beef.
Y: Junhwan is saying this like it's no big deal, but eating the same things everyday must be difficult. Are you okay?
J: It's been five years. Since 8th, maybe 9th? grade.
P: Then it's a part of life now.
J: Yeah, my life. (TN: the 'my life' part is said in English)
Y: Another thing, to see those spins, quadruple spins in the air (TN: during jumps), don't you get dizzy?
J: No, I do it everyday you know, at this point it'd be weird if I felt dizzy.
Y: "I do it everyday". To hear him say "I do it everyday you know", it does hit home that he's a high school student.

To be continued

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
- Junhwan is visibly surprised
J: Hi! (TN: His voice broke) Um, (clears throat)
Jung Yoonho (afterwards H): Hey, who told you to grow up like this? (playful manner, of course)

Y: So you've met Junhwan before, right?
H: Of course. I think it was 2011, (Junhwan nods) 8 years ago, we appeared together in Kim Yuna's Kiss and Cry.
Y: So that's why Junhwan was surprised?
H: I was surprised too. I get in, and there's this tall figure inside,
- Junhwan grew up during those 8 years
Y: He was a child back then,
J: I was eleven (TN: the Korean age count goes like this: you're born, you're one. The new year comes, add a year never mind your birthday. He was nine when he filmed K&C)
Y: The two of you never met after that?
H: No, never.
J: It's amazing, it's been 8 years, it's so amazing.
Y: How was Yoonho back then?
J: He was really good to me! He bought me Chinese food (TN: he got 탕수육, sweet fried pork) Back then, I asked if he had a girlfriend (laugh)
Y: There still are videos of those days on social media.
J: I know, there are a lot of them.
(K&C footage)
Little Junhwan: Tell me, why don't you have a girlfriend, Yoonho? (TN: 윤호 형 is the term he used, 형 means older brother and is used as a term of address for a man older than you (and close to you, you don't call your boss 형 for example) among boys. For girls, btw, it's the famous 오빠, oppa.)
(Current Junhwan is embarrassed)
Little Junhwan: A top celebrity can't not have a girlfriend (TN: damn the adorableness can't be translated...)
Younger Yoonho: I wish I had one.
Little Junhwan: Aww (covers his cheeks)

Little Junhwan: I really had fun (caught throat) with Yoonho...
(TN: Little Junhwan was trying his best to be composed, that darling was older than his years even back then)
Younger Yoonho: Junhwan, don't cry, there's nothing to cry about. You're going to advance to the world stage, my forever rival.

(K&C footage over, Junhwan is visibly embarrassed)
Y: It does have a heartwarming quality to it, look at him, the little skater Junhwan is now a skating star. No wonder Yoonho was surprised.
H: I really was.
J: Me too.
H: You didn't expect me?
J: - Joking I was thinking of somebody else
P: He was thinking of Chungha, wasn't he.
H: And I took much care, I even picked this red jacket.
J: I saw something red outside the window, and I thought 'it's Chungha in a red dress', then 'Wha?' (TN: He laughs the hardest, it shows he doesn't have much experience with shows like these)
Y: Why was he, you know, your 'forever rival'?
H: He was the youngest competitor, but he had such energy and great attitude, so (TN: Jung Yoonho is known for his 'never-give-up' attitude on everything)
H: My friends sent me messages, saying "You remember Cha Junhwan?" "Yeah, I do", and as I saw him succeed, and I had said he was going to go to the world stage. Like, he was just a boy, but there was so much to respect about him.

H: I so wanted to ask, do you have a girlfriend? - Revenge at last
J: You have to know something first, I go to an all-boy school. All boys, so unfortunately no girlfriend. (TN: The nagging mother persona says "do go on dates, if not now at least after you graduate", darling)
Everyone: No way, there would be so many (TN: vying for his attention)!
J: I don't have one.
H: It's a good time to start.
(Excited talks about how this is going to be another prophecy)
J: (almost inaudible) That's welcome news. (TN: :rofl: Don't you worry)

Y: You used to be a child actor?
Y: When did you start appearing in commercials and stuff?
J: As far as I remember, it was before I started school.
A: Before taking up skating?
J: Yes. I ate Choco Pies (TN: these are one of the most well-known snacks here in Korea), the Choco Pie commercial, the Orion one.
Y: The famous one? You're the child in it?
(footage of 5-year-old Junhwan in the Choco Pie commercial)
5-year-old Junhwan: Mom, what's this letter?
(TN: the concept of 정 is going to take too much time to explain, so skipping it. Point is that 5-year-old Junhwan is cute as a button)
(footage of 5-year-old Junhwan in the Samsung Insurance commercial)
(footage of 7-year-old Junhwan in this drama)
Y: Filmed this too?
J: This was a drama, Iljimae.
(Current Junhwan embarrassed of his younger self in a cue wig)

P: How did you go on to skate, instead of keeping on acting?
J: The reason that I started figure skating is that I was extremely shy as a child, easily embarrassed, I couldn't even say hello to people. Starting figure skating was that, since you have to perform in front of a large crowd when you do competitions and such, maybe that would make me bolder, that was why. (TN: Hmm, I remember an article saying that he went to a rink for a commercial shoot and he liked how the wind ruffled his hair when he skated :think: Could be both, I know)

H: With figure skating, when you get hurt, you get hurt bad.
J: You know, us skaters, we make a lot of mistakes when we practice. But you have to fall to land it (TN: he's talking about jumps) in competitions,
Y: We know that, but still, it hurts.
J: I too fell down a lot, I once had a cyst form on my hip because my skin cells there had died, I got it out with a needle and had to remove the liquid pooled there. Had a fractured wrist too. But the thing is, I'm the 'forever positive' type. Like, it happened, it happened, tomorrow is another day. (TN: This is what I love about him, but still, he's 17 for heaven's sake...)
J: But during the Pyeongchang Olympics, it was really difficult then. I had my knees wrapped and all, but when it was over (TN: in the free), I was holding the pose, I felt tears well up behind my eyes. Really, all the things I had gone through during that season came to mind, and I could see how they were cheering for me, I was so thankful.

Y: What do you do when you rest?
J: Sunday is my only day off, I just literally rest. But then, I go and work out by myself. Run on the treadmill, so on.
Y: That's not resting!
A: You're only at peace when you do (TN: train some way), right?
J: Yes, I feel better.

Y: Didn't you have moments or periods when you wanted to just quit?
J: Um, but, I'm off all the way to Canada to train, supported by my parents. I couldn't really say stuff like that in that situation. Because, it took a lot of work to get there, to train there, so.
A: If I had this mentality when I was his age I would've been much more than I was. (TN: Agree that darling's mentality is one of his greatest strengths, but don't be fooled by his demeanor. He was in the team that got to the semifinals during the 2002 World Cup, and he scored an iconic goal. He was a superstar, a gorgeous one at that) I ran away at times like this.
J: We can't run away, (TN: figure skating is) a sport that relies on your senses (TN: muscle memory and whatnot) You have to stay by the rink constantly.
A: If you spend time off, you start getting lax?
J: Yes.
Y: If you think about it, just going to school would be tiring at his age.
J: School life (TN: including all the studying and the stress of going to college) is fun, I'm enjoying it.

(All in awe of Yoonho's 'I'm gonna do my best' mindset)
J: I'm going to learn after him.
P: They go together.
H: Of course. (clasps hands with Junhwan)

TBC

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
(Junhwan doing his new gala, A Boy With A Star) (TN: He's doing his new position, wonder if it's going to come up in his competitive programs)

(Junhwan sprays the cast with ice)
- The shaved ice attacks continue
- After the performance, back to being a high school student

H: I'm embarrassed that there was a rivalry between us.
J: You're my forever rival still.

(Yoo Jaeseok loves Junhwan's Ina Bauer, repeat performance)

A: How many times do you spin (TN: during spins)?
J: For competitions, there are rules so the spins are structured to the rules, but for exhibitions, it's up to my choice.
(Junhwan spins)

J: I train here everyday, but since today I'm with you guys (TN: he is obviously reading from a script :laugh:) it'd be great to learn how to skate in simple, easy ways.

(K&C footage)
Younger Yoonho: You're my rival!
(Little Junhwan shadow-sparring)

(The cast, except for Yoonho, can't skate)
J: This is your first time, so let's just take a lap around the rink.
(Junhwan gets a rope)
J: Now (giggle) you hold onto the rope, then follow me.

(Comedic situation)
J: Is there enough rope?
(Park Shinyoung is 'escorted by a world star')

(Park Shinyoung can't get up)
J: Lie down, or just get close to the boards

(Helper penguins on ice)
Y: Give your partner a name.
(Whatever idea Junhwan had first was edited out)
J: Penggirl. (TN: He says 펭순이 (the crew got it wrong because he was laughing, it's not 펭숙이), '순' is a old-fashioned but well-known feminine suffix for names.)

(Mission of the day)
J: It's a game that if we manage all seven missions in 99 seconds, we win.

Y: What kind of figure skating techniques can we learn?
J: In order, we're going to go from steps to jumps.
Y: Would jumps be possible?
J: Our savior. (holds Yoonho's arm)
J: But still, you'll be able to do it. So let's learn from steps and go onward, then let's have a go at our goal for the day.

(steps)
J: You go in a zigzag line, from here

(TN: Thank goodness, it was a 3F, not a 3A, I was removing makeup and didn't see things clearly)

J: If you've pushed one block forward, then you could try doing crosses.

(Yoonho saves himself from falling)
J: Reflexes, reflexes.

J: Let's go one step further. Something you can do.
J: As you did before, do a cross, then lunge.

J: I think he could do it?

J: Now spins. It's going to be simple. Stand on your two feet, push like this, and then you spin like this.
J: So you bend one leg, then with the force of pushing the leg up and gathering your legs, like this.
J: On one foot.

J: You have to keep on going (twice)

J: This is what I've been waiting for -Joking (TN: The Prince of Figure Skating, hmm, I like it. He isn't reigning right now but he certainly is royalty.)

J: Older one first (twice)

J: Now it's the time for the highlight of figure skating, the jump. For the men, quads are common, but in general (TN: like, for ladies or pairs) triples are mostly done.

J: I'll show you how the waltz jump is done.

J: For you this is level 1, you have to jump over this. For level two, jump over this one.

J: Since you got through level 1 without much effort, onto level 2.

J: We're going to take all what we've learned today and make it a program!

J: The water drinking is pretty hard.

A: Junhwan sped up to try to shorten the time as much as he could.
Y: He spun for like two hundred times.

J: It was fun doing this together with Yoonho, and skating with you all, it was a good time. Like, I really did have a special (TN: special is in English) day.
A: What are your goals?
J: First, for every season, my goal is to go through it without any injuries, and with Beijing in mind, I'm going to do my best. (TN: please fitting boots and no injuries :pray: :pray:)
J: I'm a kid these days who is forever positive and does my best every time.

I need to sleep, typos and whatnot will be fixed when I get up