2015 Tallinn Trophy Men SP and FS | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2015 Tallinn Trophy Men SP and FS

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I used the link, TMC, and you're so right. I'd seen it before but forgotten. The choreography they used at WTT is better. Maybe they had to change it to make the technical score more muscular. Sigh.

I also am curious as to why so many axels and sals, only one lutz.

karlowens2

On the Ice
I thought Max lost both steam and artistry in the slow parts of his program, in the middle. He didn't seem to use the emotional high points in the music. Did that happen at SA? I'll have to go back and look. Any thoughts?

Yeah there are dead spots in the choro. The Brits and TSL commented that in the middle the music is swelling and Max is stopped and striking a pose. Why doesn't he just it down and have a smoke? Joking, but glad to see him more on form. Is it my imagination or do his spins look better/faster?

TMC

Record Breaker
Well, I used the link, TMC, and you're so right. I'd seen it before but forgotten. The choreography they used at WTT is better. Maybe they had to change it to make the technical score more muscular. Sigh.

I also am curious as to why so many axels and sals, only one lutz.

Right? It worries me now...if he wins with this choreo, there are bound to be more naysayers going on and on about how it's "just jumps". I expect many more than if he were to win with the first version. Conversely, if he doesn't win and any of Jason/Adam/Josh do win, especially on massive PCS, those guys are going to get the flak because "Max was lowballed in PCS now that he has improved".

While that first version, I think it would showcase Max's improved skills so much better and thus the win would appear much less controversial. Although there's inevitably going to be the artistry/jumps jumps/artistry debate/brawl whatever happens. I just hope it won't be too vicious this time... :(

TMC

Record Breaker
Yeah there are dead spots in the choro. The Brits and TSL commented that in the middle the music is swelling and Max is stopped and striking a pose. Why doesn't he just it down and have a smoke? Joking, but glad to see him more on form. Is it my imagination or do his spins look better/faster?

To me it looks like his spins are 100% faster, so it's not just you :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Right? It worries me now...if he wins with this choreo, there are bound to be more naysayers going on and on about how it's "just jumps". I expect many more than if he were to win with the first version. Conversely, if he doesn't win and any of Jason/Adam/Josh do win, especially on massive PCS, those guys are going to get the flak because "Max was lowballed in PCS now that he has improved".
(

Sigh. And I noticed that the Talinn judges gave him good marks for choreo, following the SS mark.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
With each outing of Max's FS, I think they are going to have plugged the huge holes in the middle and instead it gets more obvious how empty the middle of the program is in relation to other parts. I love ya Max, but standing at center ice looking at the ceiling while pointing your toe is NOT choreography or artistry.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope by having Phillip Mills w/Max at this event, he is re-evaluating the choreography. Max's lines have improved quite a bit, so perhaps by the time Nationals rolls around we'll have a tweaked program. I miss the pirouettes he had - I think they could look really good. I want to have the same excitement I felt when Ashley skated to this music.

luenatic

On the Ice
Yeah... I saw that posing/resting/2 ft skating section in the middle of Max's FS program. But he did a good job holding everything together and win the competition in an impressive manner. I think at this point, he needs the resting in the middle of the program for him to regain energy for the second 4S. One step at a time is the right thing to do. Max is already a brand new skater. He can improve over time and be a contender at WC in a couple years. Just in time for the Olympics! GOOD JOB MAX!!!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I haven't seen Max's performance yet, and would love it if someone (Karne) would post it. NOW, here's my real question. Other than the Character, Maxwell Smart, From the TV show "Get Smart" I realize I never had a Male friend named Max. I knew lot's of Maxene's when I was dancing but, the Men I knew were named Maximillian. I guess after the Actor Maximillian Schell. :2thumbs:

Oh wait......The Father on the TV show "The Nanny" His name was Maxwell. :agree:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

While that first version, I think it would showcase Max's improved skills so much better and thus the win would appear much less controversial. Although there's inevitably going to be the artistry/jumps jumps/artistry debate/brawl whatever happens. I just hope it won't be too vicious this time... :(

With each outing of Max's FS, I think they are going to have plugged the huge holes in the middle and instead it gets more obvious how empty the middle of the program is in relation to other parts. I love ya Max, but standing at center ice looking at the ceiling while pointing your toe is NOT choreography or artistry.

It's really interesting to contrast Max's strategy with Jason Brown's. Max's team seems to see merit in taking out choreography to up the TES and perhaps add as time goes on while Jason's team is insistent on him to muddling through choreography and difficult transitions with the idea of keeping a solid PCS mark while the TES mark catches up.

I haven't watched this performance yet, so I'll refrain from commenting on this particular competition. But that thought came to mind with these posts.

It's too bad Nathan couldn't compete here, I"d would have like to see a duel. For the time being Max and Nathan have the TES advantage (88-90 TES). Jason and Adam are about 10 points behind in TES, but could make up the gap somewhat in PCS.

I'd be interesting to see which strategy prevails come Nationals.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, it was Mills. I love seeing him in the K&C, one of my favourite FS memories is when Machida hugged him, in tears, after that glorious SP at 2014 Worlds.

Here's the WTT version
(for a fellow JB Uber, no favour is too big :biggrin: ):

I think the choreo in that WTT version is brilliant. Maybe it's a little beyond Max's capabilities at the moment (along with his difficult jump elements). I can see (hypothetically) someone like Takahashi doing it justice.