Tornadoes | Golden Skate

Tornadoes

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
My electricity just went back on, thank goodness. They kept seeing them all over town this eve. It hadn't been this bad for years. All kinds of trees down and power lines in town. It took some houses outside of town but haven't heard yet what other damage. No one hurt, thank goodness.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I hope you can keep safe!

On Wednesday, we had a baseball game. A wall cloud came over - nasty, black clouds - and beneath them there these kind of whispy white clouds. They were not pretty clouds - rather scary. Then we saw an area where the black clouds had started to move in a circle, and the white clouds were dipping up and down - not far, but enough to see movement. Seriously scary. We called the game, got the heck out of there, and the tornado sirens started going off shortly after. No tornado happened, thank God. We've had an awful lot of severe storms lately, with tornados spotted. It's been a wild, nasty spring.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
GrGranny........I can only image the horrors.........come to California to live.........never mind, I forgot about the earthquakes. Is there a safe part of the country to live? :\ 42

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Well, here you can go to the basement or shelter and hide. Can't do that with earthquakes. :laugh: There are now quite a few places that don't have basements that are building safe rooms.

I understand so far there are two houses southeast of town that were demolished. Don't know how badly the Lucky 7 Saddle Club was hit. Last I heard they had a horse missing. I know there were several homes east of town that at least had damage. I couldn't tell a thing in town when I went to church.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
After reading Princess' post, I went to the Lincoln Journal site and my goodness they had terrible disasters. There are 63 pictures on their site. www.journalstar.com
Really devastating.

euterpe

Medalist
I was on a cruise a few years ago. One morning, when the ship was somewhere between Mexico and Florida, we were sitting up on the deck when we noticed storm clouds above. We looked up, and lo and behold, there was a 'streamer' hanging down from the cloud. We looked right into it as it passed over the ship. You could hear a pin drop as everyone just held their breath. About 1/2 mile from the ship, the funnel touched down and became a water spout, and after about 5 minutes, slowly dissipated.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Grgranny, living in Omaha Nebraska in the summer is just terrible with all the tornado watches, warnings and thunder and lightening storms. Ick!!

Dee

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I live in NJ and we occasionally get tornado watches and warnings but when a tornado does hit, it tends to be a minimum one (1 or 2 on the Fujita scale). We rarely have one that does major damage, although last year, a tornado passed by my house and split my 20-year-old maple tree into two pieces. Fortunately, it didn't fall on the house.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Dee, I was raised in NE and they aren't as bad there as here, usually, although the one that took my sister's house in Grand Island in 1980 was an F7 and it was really bad.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Grgranny:

I am glad I live on the West Coast! In spite of all the rain, we don't have to worry about tornadoes!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
GrGranny-we just had a little earthquake (5.1) off the coast of Baja California yesterday. Shook pretty good here at my house. At least it wasn't a tornado!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I guess it all depends on your own thinking. Down here we always feel as if you can hide from a tornado but you can't hide from an earthquake.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
We had very strong winds and storms again last night. No tornado but I swear I saw Miss Gulch on her bike ride past my window. :D

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Grganny:

You are not going to believe this - we almost had a tornado here today! It's been sweltering hot the last couple of days, then late this afternoon a thunderstorm rolled in and some people said they saw dust clouds forming into twisters! It poured rain and we even had some power outages. It took me over 45 minutes to make my way home because the traffic lights in some areas were out and the traffic was backed up! Vancouver commute was a nightmare from what I heard on the radio. Thank goodness I did not have to commute to Richmond today. What a day!!!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
One of the people's houses that was taken lost their 5 year old son. They were in Minn. with his heart condition trying to get him well enough for a transplant when the tornado came.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last evening we had a torrential rain storm with gusting winds. I was driving home and I was actually scared. :eek: There where tree limbs all over the road. I usually go through the city but thought I better go through the neighborhood which is up higher. The last time we had a heavy rain, the city sewers couldn’t handle that much water and the water was up to the tires. That was scary!!!

Dee