TEB is Cancelled | Page 3 | Golden Skate

TEB is Cancelled

LisaM

Medalist
they must use SP result because there is no other way to do that. This shouldn't have any impact on remaining competitions.

It will, because some have underperformed in SP and will now not be able to make GPF (ie Liza).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
they must use SP result because there is no other way to do that. This shouldn't have any impact on remaining competitions.

But it is unfair on the skaters at TEB, whose chances of making the GPF are now ruined. In every other event a skater who had a bad short program had a chance to redeem themselves in the long program. We have already seen it multiple times this season - Shoma at Skate America, Liza at Skate Canada, Hanyu at Skate Canada. Why should the skaters who simply had the fortune to draw TEB be robbed of their chance to earn GPF spots because of an event outside their control?

HanDomi

Record Breaker
The French authorities (i.e. government, police, intelligence agencies) appear to have told the organizers they can't have it because it would not be safe.

This way it will be not safe to run any sport event ever again in France, because what will be diffrent from today ?

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I'm kind of sad it got cancelled, but on the other hand I understand. And I think we have to respect the decision as it was made by those who are directly affected by this tragedy.
About fairness for the athletes... I don't know. Would it really have been 100% fair to let them skate now? I'm sure many of them are deeply affected by this. They would be at a severe disadvantage to put out their best right now. And it's not only the skaters who are going up against each other at this event. What if some skaters end up with the same number of points? Then the actual scores decide who gets to go the GPF, right? What if it's between a skater who skated in another GP and a skater who had a miserable score because he had to skate his FS at TEB after this horrible night? Would that be fair?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Can goldenskate mod owner clarify, jax said it in not cancelled. Others claim it Is. What is the truth and what time is it in Bordeaux ?8 Ladies skate was scheduled what time? Thank you. ,

Last edited:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
The French authorities (i.e. government, police, intelligence agencies) appear to have told the organizers they can't have it because it would not be safe.

If that is the reason then if i were the ISU i'd revoke GPF in marseilles as of now, And move Bompard to another country

tulosai

Record Breaker
This way it will be not safe to run any sport event ever again in France, because what will be diffrent from today ?

I don't care to speculate on what intelligence the French authorities may or may not have. Presumably this decision was not undertaken lightly. It seems clear that the ISU and FFSG argued with them over the decision too, so they must have felt strongly enough about it to overrule these organizations.

While I personally was glad that the event was to continue, I don't think it's for us to judge whether it is safe there right now or not- surely the authorities are in a better position than us, safe in our homes, to do so.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I feel for French people, but also super sad for sportsmen...French federation of skating suggested counting in the results from short programs. It will mean that Yulia takes silver, Liza is 5th, which means no final for her..Unjust for them:no:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
So let's cancel now all sport events in France for ever, because you never know.

This is bad decision.
Of course not. Don't twist my words.
The authorities obviously don't know wether the situation is under control or not. It's very likely that desperate terrorists are either trying to hide (because they can't flee) or planning another final attack.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I don't care to speculate on what intelligence the French authorities may or may not have. Presumably this decision was not undertaken lightly. It seems clear that the ISU and FFSG argued with them over the decision too, so they must have felt strongly enough about it to overrule these organizations.

While I personally was glad that the event was to continue, I don't think it's for us to judge whether it is safe there right now or not- surely the authorities are in a better position than us, safe in our homes, to do so.

If they don't feel like they can provide security than the ISU shouldn't be working with them in the first place

Lota

Record Breaker
My condolences to the French.

I do wonder about the results though. It seems that they will leave the results of the SPs, right? In face of such tragedy, things like results and standings do not really matter, but life will go on after this and the SP results will really wreak havoc in the GP series. Have you seen the Pairs results? (I really do not mean to sound insensitive, but it does interest me to see what ISU will do in this situation).

peg

Medalist
Granted, I don't know if there was any specific intelligence that led to the cancellation of TEB, but my inclination is to think that they could have held the competition without spectators.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I respect the decision, however, holding the competition behind closed doors could possibly have been considered?

Of course, that's only minor matters compared to the big scenario of this tragedy.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
If that is the reason then if i were the ISU i'd revoke GPF in marseilles as of now, And move Bompard to another country
Totally. If you want the ISU to tell the terrorists that they found a great way to ruin a country, then they should absolutely do that.