Coaches in Los Angeles | Golden Skate

Coaches in Los Angeles

pjm

Spectator
Does anyone know who has previously coached most of Tammy Gambill's current skaters? I am trying to find a successful coach for my young daughter who is just starting out.

Thanks in advance!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Since your daughter is just starting out I would hold off investing a lot of money on a top coach. First see if she likes to skate and wants to stay with it. A lot of lesser known coaches would be just fine in teaching her the basics. Go to your local rink and get a feel for the coaches there. Watch them teach and interview ones that might be right for your daughter. Ask around too that always helps.

pick_chick

Rinkside
You sould look for a coach who is good with children as a top level coach may be used to coaching a older skater some of the time you will find that the top level coaches have older students, althought if your daughter is interested in the sport and has the determination then listening for a coach for her when she progresses to a point that she would need one is a good Idea after she lands her singles

For now the main goal should be a coach who shows your daughter the passion for the sport and makes it fun for her and who will be honest with you as a skaters parent

Good luck

ice cold

Rinkside
I live on the west side (LA) and my local rinks are culver (culver ice arena) and el segundo (healthsouth iceplex). health south has much larger rinks and culver has one medium size rink. But the ice is so much better at culver and i like the atmosphere better. i would suggest u deside which rink to go to then pick a coach. ask the skating school. at culver, Gina Testa is great with kids and shes a good coach up untill axle/double salcow jumps. Then Gary or Arlene are wonderful. They are great with kids, and teach eight yr-olds axels, but i dont know if they teach the stroking level. Hope this helps.
[PS. just in case ur not on the west side, i think that the rinks downtown and at universal dont have schools. check out the van nays one, or the pasadena one.]

Last edited: