2015 Rostelecom Cup Mens SP | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2015 Rostelecom Cup Mens SP

NicoleH

On the Ice
The 10´s for Javi are coming for really fantastic interpretation or choreography. In my opinion this is the best sp of the season, that of Hanyu is rather close, though.
Fernandez has poor skating skills, so he should never get pcs higher than 40 in the first place. He also has poor posture. I agree he has good choreography, but he lacks the ss and the posture to perform flamenco - think of Lambiel. Hanyu OTOH has the appropriate skating skills and elegant movement to sell his chopin sp. I wouldn't even compare fernandez with Hanyu, they're not on the same level.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I'm still checking out the videos, but I have to say I think Kolyada has a bit of a facial resemblance to Ilia Kulik, and a bodily physique resemblance to Alexei Yagudin. Meanwhile, Kolyada is just in the beginning stages of trying to build his own rep. Hope he can make it out of Russian Nationals. I much prefer watching him over Kovtun and Voronov.

Perdita

Final Flight
So. Just finished watching the videos. Okay. I must admit I have a crush on Mikhail Kolyada... how come I didn't know him till now. Russian boys are very hot this season that I was torn between Pitkeev and Petrov but now Mikhail has stolen my heart :hopelessness:

Art&Sport

Medalist
After watching the men's sp, boy was Javi Fernandez way over-scored. Brit Eurosport guys kept saying, "Oh his second mark will be high and that will help him." God knows why they think Javi's second mark should be high just because the judges always over-score Javi on PCS!!! :noshake: Still, even Brit Euro guys did not think Javi should be or would be placed 2nd in front of Ross Miner!

That was not a good skate from Javi, especially technically. His tech score was NOT high initially, and then the judges appeared to pad it, instead of the numbers going down like for most skaters. :frown: It's as if someone said, Javi is the defending World champ, and we gots to hold him up, even though that was a messy skate on the jumps. Plus presentation-wise, even though this style of program is better from Javi in terms of embracing his Latin origins, still he is really NOT that good in terms of being naturally gifted artistically. The effort shows, and he's a bit more studied than natural, despite his natural charm.

Anybody else would have been deservedly downgraded. The PCS as usual are too high, but so is the tech score. This type of scoring makes me wish to actively root against Javi, despite really liking him as a person.

ETA:
Adian sure was stoked. Very nice to see Adian skate so well in front of his home crowd. It seems as if talented up-and-coming Kolyada has Adian being pumped to take his own skating up a notch!

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Fernandez has poor skating skills, so he should never get pcs higher than 40 in the first place. He also has poor posture. I agree he has good choreography, but he lacks the ss and the posture to perform flamenco - think of Lambiel. Hanyu OTOH has the appropriate skating skills and elegant movement to sell his chopin sp. I wouldn't even compare fernandez with Hanyu, they're not on the same level.

ITA with you regarding Fernandez, but I wouldn't go too far overboard regarding Hanyu being necessarily elegant. I think Hanyu is a bit better than Fernandez in terms of overall presentation, largely because Hanyu has a flowing style. However, Hanyu tends to lose focus artistically (he doesn't always sustain his presentation throughout). And above all, Hanyu has difficulty skating two clean programs in one event. Whether this is partly due to Hanyu's endurance issues because of his asthma is hard to pinpoint. Hanyu's ultra thin body shape helps with the rotations, yet he often looks a bit noodly, which is the opposite of elegant.

Hanyu and Javi are on the same level technically IMHO, and also with their lack of consistency, and with having the same coach. :p

Last edited:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Fernandez has by far the most difficult program in transitions, expressing the music, choreography... Only Patrick Chan has programs that come close to being as difficult in this regard.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Sorry, Fernandez tries his best and this program is a much better style for him, but he does not have the best musicality in the world, and that's a fact. The program is good, but his transitions are also not the best in the men's field either. His choreo is better with this program, but as far as Javi being all that good at expressing his choreo, he is not. His PCS have in recent years always been overly high largely due to his quads and his charismatic personality/ popularity in the skating world.

Patrick is great too with the quads usually, but his 3-axel is not always consistent. When Patrick is on, he is excellent and his superior skating skills are top of the line, and unmatched by anyone else. Still even Patrick is not the best ever either artistically, musically or stylistically.

In his Rostelecom Cup sp, Javi was not at his best and his scores should have reflected that fact.

Last edited:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Oh, that's a fact, eh? Interesting. I'd say that it's entirely between Fernandez and Chan in those regards. You have got to realize that Hanyu's main advantage is difficulty of technical content, he loses out in all PCS categories to both Chan and Fernandez. Artisticality, stylisticality and musicality are definitely between these two.

... Unless you're not talking about Hanyu and are instead suggesting something ridiculous like Jason Brown being near equal to these two. But in either case, no way.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Oh, that's a fact, eh? Interesting. I'd say that it's entirely between Fernandez and Chan in those regards. You have got to realize that Hanyu's main advantage is difficulty of technical content, he loses out in all PCS categories to both Chan and Fernandez. Artisticality, stylisticality and musicality are definitely between these two.

... Unless you're not talking about Hanyu and are instead suggesting something ridiculous like Jason Brown being near equal to these two. But in either case, no way.

I don't know what are you looking at that you can even say that Fernandez has skating skills on the same level as Hanyu :scratch2:

I am not going to discuss other things, I have definitely diffrent view on that, but saying that Fernandez should be marked even close on SS to Hanyu is ridiculous.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Well I give you that, Fernandez has been scoring around 0.1 less on SS. But eh, doesn't make much of a difference to my point.

NicoleH

On the Ice
Well I give you that, Fernandez has been scoring around 0.1 less on SS. But eh, doesn't make much of a difference to my point.
That's the main problem. Here you go. He should NOT score that close on SS, if it's fair judging. If Hanyu gets 46 pcs, then fernandez should get 41 at most due to his poor skating skills and poor posture.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I look forward to seeing how Javier scores compared to Yuzuru in pcs ... when they are at the same competition.

Last edited:

NicoleH

On the Ice
I look forward to seeing how Javier scores compared to Yuzuru in pcs ... when they are at the same competition.
But next time they compete will be at Javier's home country Spain, so not necessarily a fair place.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think it was something so minor that he kind of just laughed it off and admitted it really probably should not count as steps.

I thought in his TSL interview he said he had added something that could be called steps.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

I'm sorry, but: :rofl2: It's really rare something is so wrong it makes me laugh (and I do feel kind of impolite about this :p), but Javi being better in SS than Yuzuru... I think even BOrser would have to crack a smile at that one.

Yuzuru also definitely doesn't lose out to Javi on TR... but that ones closer, so if you want to be edgy or something, you can maybe see that. But SS...

Art&Sport

Medalist

You are the one bringing up Jason Brown. :laugh: Jason was not at this competition, and in fact I heard that Jason has a strained back and he has pulled out of NHK. I think you bringing up Jason in the context of this discussion speaks volumes. I really don't need to say anything further. :coffee: