Mikhail Kolyada | Page 101 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

Danibellerika

Medalist
Ditto!:agree: :yay: This makes up for Boston, right?:laugh: (And thanks for your great Olys fan cams, I subscribed to your channel!)

I know that people who are unhappy with his medal will belittle his achievement and say he got lucky because of the misfortunes and absence of others, but while I genuinely feel sad about the meltdowns (because I never want that for anyone) and of course would have loved to see Misha skate cleanly, that is just the nature of competition, nothing new. Many Olys and World medals are won when others make mistakes or are absent. Misha absolutely deserved his medal, his sp was gorgeous and his qualities were still evident in the fs despite the flaws. I hope he has a good rest and comes back stronger next season injury free with beautiful programs more like his Hallelujah and Metallica exhibitions. I admit that I don’t think Elvis quite did him justice, although I can see what he was going for and hardly think it was *cringeworthy* as one poster has declared about a zillion times. Honestly, it’s kind of funny but also sad how his detractors are the loudest and most persistent (do they get happiness out of being so snarky and unpleasant?), because I think there are many people, including the judges obviously, who appreciate his qualities and don’t think he’s being unfairly *held up.*

For next season, I wish for him to get smart technical jump assistance to be able to fix the landings on his quad lutz and sal. As others have observed, because of his athleticism and power he has no problem with getting superb height and full rotations (in contrast to, e.g., Dmitri, who I do like), so it’s very frustrating he can’t more consistently land them cleanly, especially because his falls are more like step-outs and not the hard wipe-out variety. I also hope he works hard on the sports psychology aspect. Maybe he can consult Yuzuru for his visualization technique. :laugh: My wish list also includes his trying a different choreographer (even though I did love his SP and 2015-16 programs), whether it’s Lambiel, Misha Ge, or someone else, because I think he could do with a fresh artistic perspective to learn what programs suit him and to continue to develop artistically.

Thank you for the sub!! And I think you sum up the rest quite well for me!

Tutto

Record Breaker
Late to the party but sooo happy for Mika after all he has been through at Oly, this medal is so important for him. Oh I wish there would be a footage somewhere of the moment when he realised that he got a medal after all!!!
Anyway, congrats :yahoo::luv17::hap10::hap10::hap93::hap85:
Some interviews:
http://tass.ru/opinions/interviews/5063494
https://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sport...selyj_Memy_lublu_osobenno_pro_nas_s_Tarasovoj

What's great he mentions that he is planning to resume training by the end of April - a holiday time for Mika!!!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Misha will discuss with Valentina about seeking help from other coaches - a la Lambiel, but in regards to his jumps too. So that's awesome. Also, love that he's very aware of TAT's opinions about him and manages to have fun with it, at least with the press. People who call him clueless or spineless certainly know nothing about him.

Tutto

Record Breaker
A confession - do you know what jump I positively hate: not 4lz and not 4T and not even 3A that all give Mika a lot of trouble. No, it is 3lo. Doubling this measly triple which I am sure he can do in his sleep, lost him a catalogue of medals to date, to name a few that come to mind now:
bronze at his debut Euros
gold at GPF 2017
silver at WC 2018

Why Mika?!
This season I always felt that the loop was just too soon after the combo and he had no time to regroup?

Funnily enough it is the same with my other favourite, Kaetlyn, but she seems to be getting hang of it lately (also interestingly they both broke their right ankle at about same time in 2014 and had to have surgeries and long recovery...hope the similarity will continue ;) )

Tutto

Record Breaker
Misha will discuss with Valentina about seeking help from other coaches - a la Lambiel, but in regards to his jumps too. So that's awesome. Also, love that he's very aware of TAT's opinions about him and manages to have fun with it, at least with the press. People who call him clueless or spineless certainly know nothing about him.

Yes it is great the way Mika raises right above her - hope she read it!
Re the tech help - the more I look at his 4Lz he lands in practice and warm-ups the more I am convinced that he does not need any experts to help him - his technique is perfect. The problem is his nerves. Under stress of competition he takes-off with too much force, gets too much of elevation and then can't control the landing, all that energy practically sweeping him even when he finds his right skate and lands on the blade (like in LP in Milan) the momentum is too powerful.. The elevation (and the distance) he gets is crazy. I wonder if they should get back to 4sal after all because 4lz is not good for his back and judging by that little info in the interviews it is clear his back continues to bother him a lot though he is not the one to go on about it

franzkatka

On the Ice
Late to the party but sooo happy for Mika after all he has been through at Oly, this medal is so important for him. Oh I wish there would be a footage somewhere of the moment when he realised that he got a medal after all!!!
Anyway, congrats :yahoo::luv17::hap10::hap10::hap93::hap85:
Some interviews:
http://tass.ru/opinions/interviews/5063494
https://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sport...selyj_Memy_lublu_osobenno_pro_nas_s_Tarasovoj

What's great he mentions that he is planning to resume training by the end of April - a holiday time for Mika!!!

That’s interesting that he says he doesn't like shows and prefers to train and compete. Maybe because he’s shy? He just seems so relaxed during exhibitions and so tense during competitions (even more so than the average skater), I would have thought it was the other way around

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
A confession - do you know what jump I positively hate: not 4lz and not 4T and not even 3A that all give Mika a lot of trouble. No, it is 3lo. Doubling this measly triple which I am sure he can do in his sleep, lost him a catalogue of medals to date, to name a few that come to mind now:
bronze at his debut Euros
gold at GPF 2017
silver at WC 2018

Why Mika?!
This season I always felt that the loop was just too soon after the combo and he had no time to regroup?

I do feel like he kind of gives up on the loop, or maybe his legs are too tired? Misha seems very aware that a six-quad program is impossible for him, and he seems interested in seeing how Nathan himself is going to progress in the coming years. I'm pretty sure the three-quad program is already almost too much for him, and I wonder what he's going to do to land all his stuff in the future.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I do feel like he kind of gives up on the loop, or maybe his legs are too tired? Misha seems very aware that a six-quad program is impossible for him, and he seems interested in seeing how Nathan himself is going to progress in the coming years. I'm pretty sure the three-quad program is already almost too much for him, and I wonder what he's going to do to land all his stuff in the future.

Hopefully he won't need 6 quad program if they change the rules for next season. Also Nathan can have good days but inevitably also bad days not always landing 6 quads

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yes it is great the way Mika raises right above her - hope she read it!
Re the tech help - the more I look at his 4Lz he lands in practice and warm-ups the more I am convinced that he does not need any experts to help him - his technique is perfect. The problem is his nerves. Under stress of competition he takes-off with too much force, gets too much of elevation and then can't control the landing, all that energy practically sweeping him even when he finds his right skate and lands on the blade (like in LP in Milan) the momentum is too powerful.. The elevation (and the distance) he gets is crazy. I wonder if they should get back to 4sal after all because 4lz is not good for his back and judging by that little info in the interviews it is clear his back continues to bother him a lot though he is not the one to go on about it
Yes, Misha doesn't complain so everyone automatically assumes that while others can have physical reasons for doing badly (e.g. Shoma and Vincent at this competition), with Misha it is always laziness, nerves etc. I am hoping they will go to that (or another) sanatorium they went to last April to rest and have his back looked after.
If it is nerves he'll find ways to screw up the sal as well in competitions. Anyway, as with other skaters they will look at rule changes and figure out what's best.

That’s interesting that he says he doesn't like shows and prefers to train and compete. Maybe because he’s shy? He just seems so relaxed during exhibitions and so tense during competitions (even more so than the average skater), I would have thought it was the other way around
I don't get the impression Misha is particularly shy, at least not in regular life. Exhibitions are not shows, maybe it's the commercial aspect of the latter that gets to him? He has also said that he does not really care much for skating for people who are not genuine figure skating fans and can't appreciate figure skating beyond its showy aspects.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Guys you have no idea how happy I'm and how proud. After all the scrutiny after Team Event Misha showed that he can challenge the best in the field and got this medal. Of course some say that he was lucky as skaters like Yuzuru or Javier weren't present BUT I believe men LP showed that abilities and rankings are not everything and ability to perform when it matters is important too.

I hope now he will work on consistency of his jumps and hopefully on new choreo. Actually I think "soft" program like his Hallelujah or NEM EX would work for him perfectly

vorravorra

Record Breaker
He is certainly not clueless, from things he says, particularly off the record, it is clear that he is aware of pretty much everything the fans worry he may be missing (including of how taxing it is on one's nerves to be his fan :laugh: His quip at the last autograph session was "at least it's not boring"). He is polite and aware of such a thing as tact, so he does not publicly go for people's throats, but it doesn't mean he leaves on some kind of cloud.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
A bit late but congrats to Mikhail for his Worlds bronze and especially for his 100+ SP with only one quad, because that is a fantastic achievement that not many have achieved.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
A bit late but congrats to Mikhail for his Worlds bronze and especially for his 100+ SP with only one quad, because that is a fantastic achievement that not many have achieved.

I still think it would be beneficial to do the SP with only one quad, at least for a time, and I'm sure he can get even higher scores with it. It's not like a five-point disadvantage in the SP is that bad, at least to conserve some energy for the FS. Scoring 100+ would keep him in contention anywhere, but having the possibilty of screwing his jumps enough to be down the low 80s is terrible when the field is so stacked with skaters around that mark.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Guys you have no idea how happy I'm and how proud. After all the scrutiny after Team Event Misha showed that he can challenge the best in the field and got this medal. Of course some say that he was lucky as skaters like Yuzuru or Javier weren't present BUT I believe men LP showed that abilities and rankings are not everything and ability to perform when it matters is important too.

I hope now he will work on consistency of his jumps and hopefully on new choreo. Actually I think "soft" program like his Hallelujah or NEM EX would work for him perfectly
Yes, after the SP in the Olympic team event people were afraid he was going to go into a downward spiral, although I thought those fears were exaggerated. He is stronger than he is given credit for and his nerves are not as bad as people make it out. Although he does talk about fear of making a mistake and perfectionism weighing him down.

WineHerUp

On the Ice

I don't understand how anyone could doubt that Mikhail is competitive with the best of the field because his qualities are truly superb. On twitter, multiple people pointed out that Mikhail and Shoma were the fastest skaters there and they had the best skating skills. And his jumps are sooo good. Hopefully, next season he'll pick better programs that best showcase his qualities and improve on his consistency. No more falling apart after one mistake please.

Tutto

Record Breaker
WineHerUp;2053821]I don't understand how anyone could doubt that Mikhail is competitive with the best of the field because his qualities are truly superb. On twitter, multiple people pointed out that Mikhail and Shoma were the fastest skaters there and they had the best skating skills. And his jumps are sooo good. Hopefully, next season he'll pick better programs that best showcase his qualities and improve on his consistency. No more falling apart after one mistake please.
Oh that's great to hear, I would love to read some live accounts...

I don't think Mika, with the exception of Oly team SP and Finlandia LP, does fall apart exactly - just can't skate without 3-4 mistakes. We'll never see a clean Elvis now -sad about it...
Some nice tribute to this season:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg0XyvaAa4A/

Oly excluded - all major bronzes - GPF, Euros and Worlds!

vorravorra

Record Breaker

I don't think Mika, with the exception of Oly team SP and Finlandia LP, does fall apart exactly - just can't skate without 3-4 mistakes. We'll never see a clean Elvis now -sad about it...

Yes, falling apart would bring him to the vicinity of Boyang and Vincent at this Worlds. He generally keeps mistakes down to a reasonable number.

Also, when are the journalists going to learn that falls are not the absolute worst that can happen? They still express surprise any time anyone wins anything with falls. And now they are all repeating TAT's "Kolyada skated a ladies' short program at Worlds". Because ladies routinely do a 4-3 combo and a 3A in the second half :rolleye: This is a skater who won the first World medal in men since 2011 and together with Aliev brought back three spots for the first time since 2004. And all they can do is bash him. TAT's comments were as if Aliev brought back three spots all by himself: "yeah, yeah, Kolyada was third, but look at Dima with his seventh place!" And her words thеn get bounced around over and over in a media echo chamber. Even at the press conference Misha got attacked rather than complimented.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Yes, falling apart would bring him to the vicinity of Boyang and Vincent at this Worlds. He generally keeps mistakes down to a reasonable number.

Also, when are the journalists going to learn that falls are not the absolute worst that can happen? They still express surprise any time anyone wins anything with falls. And now they are all repeating TAT's "Kolyada skated a ladies' short program at Worlds". Because ladies routinely do a 4-3 combo and a 3A in the second half :rolleye: This is a skater who won the first World medal in men since 2011 and together with Aliev brought back three spots for the first time since 2004. And all they can do is bash him. TAT's comments were as if Aliev brought back three spots all by himself: "yeah, yeah, Kolyada was third, but look at Dima with his seventh place!" And her words thеn get bounced around over and over in a media echo chamber. Even at the press conference Misha got attacked rather than complimented.

I fear TAT won't rest till she destroys him - it is really sad and scary... one would imagine that it is about time the Fed intervened?
I guess Mika knows well enough that it is the price he has to pay for his success. And fortunately he gets a lot of support too from his club & his fans.

At that press conference you mentioned he said that changing the layout for SP at Worlds was the right call and one of just a handful of good decisions made this season...
It sounded rather sad, he knows how much different things could have been...
What he and his team have gained though is the massive experience, he even looks older (no wonder Oly team event probably took some years off his life!)

joanne129

Rinkside
I really like mika and his beautiful skating. He brought russia and medal in mens single after many years! i support him no matter what. Though he looks like my ex, i still like him so much!

Danibellerika

Medalist

I just noticed that his name is Japanese completely omits the "k". It reads as mihairu. Can any Japanese speakers shed some light for me why the "k" is omitted since the "ka" kana could also be used to make it "Mikairu"?